BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Southern Germany signing in EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Southern Germany signing in EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Southern Germany signing in EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Southern Germany signing in

Go down 
+10
toomanytoyz
mp775
Tomz9C1
1984twodoor
MASShole9C1
GasTT
mikiehews
Matt Trakker
Ironfistdog
SPCS
14 posters
AuthorMessage
SPCS

SPCS

Southern Germany signing in Empty
PostSubject: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Cheers,

I accidentally stumbled upon one of the threads on this board (the one about the 11 mph upshift Clunk) while researching something entirely different, and now that I've stopped laughing, I figured I'd sign up.

Soenke is the name, don't even try to pronounce it, I live in Stuttgart, Germany, hometown of Mercedes and Porsche and the US Army European Headquarters.

I own several 1991-1996 B-Bodies, Police Packages most of them, I guess when trying to own and operate these cars on the wrong side of the Atlantic you might as well do it right.
Gas is kinda expensive over here, about 8.45 US Dollars for a Gallon (if I did the conversions right), GM Dealer Support is nonexistent, and anything you might need for your car has to be flown in from the US. But since this is the country of no speed limits, I get to drive 140 mph any time I feel like it, so it ain't all bad.

My winter transport is a civilian 1991 L03 Sedan, delivered new to GM's German subdivision Opel as a demonstrator car back in 1991 (US spec, no Export version available before 1992). Since then, it has seen 250k miles on German Roads and Autobahns, survived tens of thousands of miles of long-distance travel at sustained 110+ mph, and generally had to do all the things German cars have to do. Still on the first engine, first trans, first rearend, no major problems ever.
Anybody thinks quality cars have to be expensive and/or from Europe, I'll show you my Caprice. Toughest, longest-lasting car in the western world.
Best looking, too.

Enough said. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload some photos.

Back to top Go down
http://www.oldschoolcustoms.de
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Welcome aboard! You are the second person we have from Europe in our little club!

I'm glad to hear you have had good luck with these full sized Chevy's!
I sent a bunch of door panels and dash parts to germany a few years back to a guy restoring a police package caprice.
I ended up wrapping them up in black trash bags to help cut down on the shipping cost! He was very excited to find the parts. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to hunt down parts!

Plenty of good reading and help here!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Welcome Soenke.
We just keep going Global. cheers

I have spent some time in Nied, Frankfurt when I was young.

You can use Photobucket.com for picture hosting.

I would love to see your car. Arrow
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Let's see if this works...

Southern Germany signing in Lasd009

On the left is the civilian '91 mentioned above... L03 car with just about every option available in 91... Leather seats, BOSE sound system, 3.08 G80 Rear End. I've seen several cars equipped exactly like this one in Germany... Seems they all belonged to Opel at some point. The one on the right belongs to a friend of mine, it is a Dutch Export '91, which is completely US spec except the speedo is in km/h. Just about zero options on that one, but 3.08 Posi rear end again. The Dutch used a lot of these as Taxis, usually converted to LPG.

Some more:

Southern Germany signing in Brdy

That's a 94 9C1 L99, former surveillance, later prisoner transport unit for the County of Clark, Nevada. I bought this in 2008 with a mere 65k miles on it. This one is my long distance car... that picture was actually taken in Sweden.

Southern Germany signing in Threewhite041

One more of the 94s, this one's a 9C1 LT1, was a School Resources Officer's car in California for most of its life. Has around 80k on it now.

Southern Germany signing in Berkeleyclark

95 9C1 LT1 this one, was a traffic enforcement vehicle on the west coast. Seems like this was used to pull a trailer with a "Your Speed is ...."-Display up and down the freeway. Still only has around 65k miles on it. It really hasn't been used all that much since I've bought it in 2008 either. People react strangely to the black-and-white, even over here.

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the interesting photos!

I've seen pictures of some of these cars wearing unique bumper covers that had extra reflectors on them, and did see while parts searching online a mention of a factory headlamp washing system that mounted behind the front bumper. I'm guessing these items were only available on export models?

It really is funny how many of these cars are on the other side of the Atlantic, just the other day I was watching some new show called "Lilyhammer" that is based in Norway. A scene was shot in the beginning that was purportedly New York, but you could tell they filmed it in Norway as well the save costs, using a Euro-spec Tahoe (with added side markers/turn signals) as an FBI vehicle, and a 77-79 Caprice 2 door that Steven Van Zandt's character drove.

Back to top Go down
mikiehews

mikiehews

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:42 pm

its great when others from across the globe join in for the love of B-bodys. I'm sill pretty new here myself but a b-body enthusiest for over 16 years. Welcome from Brockton Massacusettes!
Back to top Go down
mikiehews

mikiehews

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 pm

mikiehews wrote:
its great when others from across the globe join in for the love of B-bodys. I'm sill pretty new here myself but a b-body enthusiest for over 16 years. Welcome from Brockton Massacusettes!

oops I mean massachusetts!

Just call us mass-holes!
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Matt, that's the German Export Version you're referring to. It came with T84 Headlamps, Headlamp Washer System, Breakaway Mirrors, Fender Mounted Turn Signals, Euro-Style Seat Belt Buckles, Amber Turn Signals at the rear, and additional "Foglamps" and Reflectors in the Rear Bumper Cover... They're generally considered ugly, and a lot of them have been converted back to US Specs. They're rare in any case. They're way outnumbered by real US imports here, as GM only made them in 1992. Here's an Austrian example:

Southern Germany signing in Allanvw

Southern Germany signing in Allana
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks for those pictures, that's exactly what I saw but a gray one. Looks like it has the Caprice LTZ style flat hood ornament too.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Welcome to the forum. Nice collection!

If you could source a set of those tail lights, I'd like a set.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Ha, me too, just for the unusual factor.

On fullsizechevy.com people were trying to get together on a group purchase of "Holden Suburban" (Aussie market Chevy) style taillights for the 88-98 trucks, because they were also used on the somewhat unusual Brazilian counterparts to the GMT400 US trucks, and there were a couple of members living down there:

Southern Germany signing in Img2

Southern Germany signing in Powerwindow
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Idk about the 91-96 ones but here's the ebay # to 86-90 ones on eBay right now. (RH side only but I bet a LH will pop up!)

eBay # 370540507338
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Welcome to the club! Ive only been to Germany via refueling on the way to Iraq a couple times!

Nice Caprice collection you have going on there. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Wow great collection! A lot of other countries love these boats too huh? Glad they're coming here and not being turned off by the big board. Arrow Welcome!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
Idk about the 91-96 ones but here's the ebay # to 86-90 ones on eBay right now. (RH side only but I bet a LH will pop up!)

eBay # 370540507338

DO WANT! I might have to get a little stupid with my cash this weekend No

......DO WANT
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 am

The LTZ Badge is not an Export thing, that's a real LTZ. For some reason, a disproportial number of these export cars (like half) seem to be LTZs. I don't know why.

I know that a lot of the Export Boxy Caprices were true 9C1 in rather unusual colors and often very highly optioned. Rumor has it that this was done because GM thought the 9C1 was better equipped to survive in places like Germany or the mid east. You know very high speeds or bad roads, that sort of stuff. Seems like this practice goes way back - Export equipped First generation smallblock F-Bodys for example all seem to have Bigblock radiators and heavy duty suspension and brakes.

Anyway, the 1977-1990 Export models are pretty common, they made those forever. Still, that set of Tail Lamp Lenses on ebay is better and cheaper than what you'd find over here! 91-96 Lenses are very rare, I guess most of those were thrown away when the owners converted back to red turn signals, "just for the unusual factor"! I'll let you know if I come across a set.

Refueling in Germany probably means Ramstein Airbase? I don't know if you get to leave the airfield, probably not, but if you do, next time you're there, check out the local junkyards. Quite some amazing stuff there, courtesy of US military personell returning stateside and leaving their POVs behind.

Here's another of my cars, and no, no need to point it out. I know it's a very high mile, rusty, dented, yellow, L99, bench seat, east coast TAXI.

Southern Germany signing in Taxihv

But it is a true 9C6. Which is probably a stupid reason to buy a very used car, but the best I had!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am

^^^I'm loving that 9C6! Ive never seen one for sale here. I would imagine they go to the crusher. The only taxi ones I have seen for sale were originally 9C1 package cars.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 am

SPCS wrote:
The LTZ Badge is not an Export thing, that's a real LTZ. For some reason, a disproportial number of these export cars (like half) seem to be LTZs. I don't know why.

I know that a lot of the Export Boxy Caprices were true 9C1 in rather unusual colors and often very highly optioned. Rumor has it that this was done because GM thought the 9C1 was better equipped to survive in places like Germany or the mid east. You know very high speeds or bad roads, that sort of stuff. Seems like this practice goes way back - Export equipped First generation smallblock F-Bodys for example all seem to have Bigblock radiators and heavy duty suspension and brakes.

Anyway, the 1977-1990 Export models are pretty common, they made those forever. Still, that set of Tail Lamp Lenses on ebay is better and cheaper than what you'd find over here! 91-96 Lenses are very rare, I guess most of those were thrown away when the owners converted back to red turn signals, "just for the unusual factor"! I'll let you know if I come across a set.

Refueling in Germany probably means Ramstein Airbase? I don't know if you get to leave the airfield, probably not, but if you do, next time you're there, check out the local junkyards. Quite some amazing stuff there, courtesy of US military personell returning stateside and leaving their POVs behind.

Here's another of my cars, and no, no need to point it out. I know it's a very high mile, rusty, dented, yellow, L99, bench seat, east coast TAXI.

Southern Germany signing in Taxihv

But it is a true 9C6. Which is probably a stupid reason to buy a very used car, but the best I had!
That car is AWESOME! Don't be ashamed of its scars. What a cool car!
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:15 am

Wow, what a sweet collection of Bravo body's! BTW, Thanks for my GSD. cheers
Southern Germany signing in 862010NED053
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 am

1984twodoor wrote:
That car is AWESOME! Don't be ashamed of its scars. What a cool car!

Glad to be among people who understand. It's a genuine NYC Taxi, which the cab company kept for one reason or another after it was retired from active Taxi duty. They tried to sell it off on ebay several times around '08, but nobody wanted it... Apart from the Security Screen, all the Taxi gear is still in place, Meter, Panic-Lights and all. It even has a tape message reminding you to not "leave any of your belongings behind and to get a reciept from your driver"... It is a L99 V8, meaning I'm still looking for the ultra-rare V6 version.

Kinda amazing the 9C6 came with the same suspension setup as the 9C1, minus the rear discs.

Southern Germany signing in Taxi002
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 6:44 pm

SPCS wrote:
Good enough reason. Do you ever get dumb American tourists flagging you down?
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
^^^I'm loving that 9C6! Ive never seen one for sale here. I would imagine they go to the crusher. The only taxi ones I have seen for sale were originally 9C1 package cars.
At least in New York, they're cannibalized for parts for the rest of the fleet. You can see yards full of hacked up Crown Victoria P70s from the 7 train in western Queens.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 am

mp775 wrote:
SPCS wrote:
Good enough reason. Do you ever get dumb American tourists flagging you down?

Laughing haha!

Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 am

mp775 wrote:
Do you ever get dumb American tourists flagging you down?

No, but I do get a lot of strange looks. I can sort of understand that... I imagine what it would be like for me to go to NYC and find that there's a guy there who drives around in an out-of-service Mercedes Taxi Cab which he imported from Germany. Chances are he'd be doing that for a reason, like he's really into these cars the option packages they came with, but still, I guess my first impression would be WTF??

Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 am

That taxi is sweet. Lots and lots of people have a police package car but not too many people have a taxi still in taxi trim.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:34 am

Cool cars, man! Smile You must own a good percentage of the B-bodies left in Germany! Very Happy

Are you originally from the States? Your English is very good. Better than most Americans on the boards I'm on. lol. Smile

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 pm

i want that taxi its pretty cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-Caprice-Impala-SS/1082

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:53 pm

mega wrote:
i want that taxi its pretty cool
A gallon of Sherwin Williams "Safety yellow" and some Methyl Ethel key tone, and you can have one too. Wink
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 pm

nope lol that this is original mine not so much.... Mad
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Cool cars, man! Smile You must own a good percentage of the B-bodies left in Germany! Very Happy

Are you originally from the States? Your English is very good. Better than most Americans on the boards I'm on. lol. Smile

My thoughts exactly! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Those headlights look awesome... what are they?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:24 pm

^ If you're referring to the T84s, they are a glass capsule headlamp that came on the export cars. They've got a different light beam and come with a running light as well, with the turn signals and headlights reversed compared to North American cars. Big $$$ if you can find them.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 pm

big money aint the word, king kong loot lol.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 7:51 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
^ If you're referring to the T84s, they are a glass capsule headlamp that came on the export cars. They've got a different light beam and come with a running light as well, with the turn signals and headlights reversed compared to North American cars. Big $$$ if you can find them.

I assume they're NLA?
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 am

toomanytoyz wrote:

Thanks! Born & raised in Germany though, as were my parents.

chapel wrote:
I assume they're NLA?

I think they went NLA around 1999/2000. Every now and then, a good set will turn up on ebay. Over here, they're worth their weight in gold.

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 am

Have a set on my 96 & a set in a box.
Guess I'll have to go check thier weight....woot... Razz

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 1:44 pm

sdstick wrote:

Lemme get the gold. Make sure you ship insured.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:37 pm

sdstick wrote:
You have a set of T-84s in the box? Very Happy You need a roommate? Razz
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:17 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
sdstick wrote:

I saw a set of these on a wagon that worked well. Razz

Southern Germany signing in Euro_l10
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:35 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
sdstick wrote:

Didnt say it was NIB...just in a box (all protected & such... Laughing )

Plus these T84's go hot & cold on the EBAY.
Sometimes they want a fortune & get it, other times not so much Wink

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:35 pm

sdstick wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
sdstick wrote:

Didnt say it was NIB...just in a box (all protected & such... Laughing )

Plus these T84's go hot & cold on the EBAY.
Sometimes they want a fortune & get it, other times not so much Wink
Just keep me in mind when You decide to part with them. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southern Germany signing in   Southern Germany signing in Empty

Back to top Go down

Southern Germany signing in
Page 1 of 1