BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Any good ideas for water pump removal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

Any good ideas for water pump removal? Empty
PostSubject: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 12:04 pm

I'd like to hear any ideas you guys have come up with for removing a stubborn water pump on the LT1. I've tried prybars, a big deadblow hammer, and a good size steel mallet. I even tapped threads in a bolt hole and made a jacking screw. After doing all that it just stripped the threads and the pump didn't budge. I've done this job a few times before but it's been a really long time. I remember them being a PITA but not quite this stubborn.

TIA for any ideas. Back to the garage....
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I had a problem with one car where the pump would not come off. I took a cold chisel to the ears on the pump where the locator pins on the block fit into. I split the ears to remove tension on the pins. Now I put a little anti-sieze on the pins when I replace a pump. I also put a small amount of silicone on each side of the gaskets to make clean up easier next time around.
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 12:36 pm

What a freaking bonehead I am....... Just to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything (since it's been years since I've done this), I cracked open the FSM study . Turns out there's six bolts, not four. What happened to that head banging against bricks emoticon, anyway.......

I have not taken these bolts out yet but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to get this now...
in and out
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Wow. That's kinda funny. Glad you found the bolts before you broke something. Do you still have the AIR pump in place?
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Did the AIR pump delete years ago. Good news is that with all the banging and prying I did, the two outer bolts were already loose when I discovered them! Laughing

So the new one is in now with no leaks. Ready to go burn some rubber.

I put my hand on the water pump just a couple minutes after starting it and was surprised at how hot it was- it was too hot to touch. Coolant temp was probably not even 100°. Not sure if that's normal. I'll have to see what happens on one of my other ones tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Did you bleed the system properly and add enough coolant back in? Dumb questions I know. I don't mean to offend. Easy to miss the simple stuff.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Also, in addition to my above comment, did you install the coupler from the old pump?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 9:13 am

When I read the first post, my first thought was "Take the other two bolts out, Rob!" lol. We've all done it. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 2:04 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
When I read the first post, my first thought was "Take the other two bolts out, Rob!" lol.  We've all done it. Razz

HA HA....me too. Whenever things dont come off easy I look for those "extra" bolts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any good ideas for water pump removal?   Any good ideas for water pump removal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any good ideas for water pump removal?
Page 1 of 1