BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor Empty
PostSubject: One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor   One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:51 pm

The few tools by Titan that I have purchased have all been of excellent quality.

Recently, I found myself needing to remove two broken studs from a pair of exhaust manifolds for my '95 Roadmaster wagon. I had used one of those old skool concentric stud pullers to remove four out of six successfully, but two snapped and made me grimace. BTW, those concentric pullers are bulky and awkward!

Now, I know that a real garage junkie would have a red wrench to get the job done. I do not, so I had to look for other options and was afraid I'd have to pay my mechanic to heat them out, ultimately.

I found these stud extractors sold by Titan:
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8422_zps5cf3e10b

There are identical looking versions out there by Mann and Mayhew. I'm not sure if any of them are rebadges.

Anyway, this thing is seriously awesome.

Here is a pic of the worst manifold. There is actually more of a stub sticking up on this one, but the corrosion around the stud is so bad, it looked like stud and manifold flange were one monolithic piece.
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8416_zps0cae03f8

I started with this stud, using a 3/8 100 tooth Gearwrench ratchet and an old Blue Point impact driver to work the tool. The stud wouldn't give. So, I went to the other manifold and while it fought me, the stud did break free and come out. So, I went back to the first manifold and tried again. By this time, the stud stub was pretty chewed up and I was basically sure it was going to snap, or that the extractor wouldn't be able to get a decent grip anymore. But using the impact driver to help seat the stub inside the tool's jaws, I did get a good grip. I put the impact down after a while and went to the ratchet. I had switched to a Craftsman Premium because I realized that the handle shape is about a million times more comfortable to put big torque into than the Gearwrench. Finally, I felt something give. I was sure that the stud was snapping, but when I looked at the other side I could see it had begun to break away from its rusty tomb.

Before the stud began to move. See how it's like one solid mass of corrosion?
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8417_zps03b55d1a

Success!
One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8420_zpsd77b9ece

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8421_zps8ecbe9a0

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8423_zps27529a31

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8424_zps6dabd8c7

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor 100_8426_zps8a9ff810

I should note that I had been hosing these things with Kroil for a week since snapping them off. But, the rust was so solid I don't think Kroil was actually penetrating much of anything.

This tool has earned a spot in my box forever. I'll probably pick up another one, just because it saved me from a lot of frustration and has earned my respect.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor   One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:20 am

That thing really bites! I put one on my list.

I think you'll find that the OE studs are std. on the manifold side and metric on the cat side. I just use std./std. for replacements.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor   One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 am

I know the next tool I'm buying Very Happy
Kroil kicks ass!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor   One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am

/copied and pasted from my write up at "toolnutcentral.com" Wink

Awesome write up, dude. Where might I purchase this Destudinator 2000?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor   One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:26 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
/copied and pasted from my write up at "toolnutcentral.com" Wink

Awesome write up, dude. Where might I purchase this Destudinator 2000?

I did post this on Garage Journal first because that is where I spend most of my time, and I'm not sure how into tools people are here. But because this is a common problem, I figured people on the B-body sites might also want to learn about the tool.

You can find them on eBay, at Walmart (online), Tool King, Northern Tool etc. There is a more expensive German version made by Klann and a more expensive one made by Mayhew. I can't tell if the Mayhew is USA made or comes from the same Taiwanese factory as the Titan.

I'm a USA tools kind of guy, but I look at Taiwan a lot differently than I look at China, and my Titan tools are all very nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor   One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor Empty

Back to top Go down

One Solution for Broken Studs: Titan Stud Extractor
Page 1 of 1