BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Need an opinion on wheels....

Go down 
+4
IMPALADAKID
toomanytoyz
MASShole9C1
8bud
8 posters
AuthorMessage
8bud

8bud

Need an opinion on wheels.... Empty
PostSubject: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 7:56 pm

You guys think these would look good on my impala? And does anyone know this guy????
http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/2997755025.html

I am also thinking about these 18s cuz I'm not a huge fan of 20s with such a low pro tire-
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?v=001296%7C1995&pc=52901&wd=18&rw=9

Which one do you guys like better?

Last edited by 8bud on Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Absolutely and no. But, if you buy them, invite him to the show.
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks Brian. I added another wheel choice. Which one do you like better?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Absolutely not!

and

HELL YES!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:37 pm

No prob. Tough choice Bill. I'd say, you'd be in about a grand either way. I would at least go and get a good look at 20" MBS first. If they are in good shape, good tires then jump on them. If not, consider the BIG rod gasser 18"ers. Both would look perfect, its now about which ones the best deal. Buying new is no problem. But, used, on craigslist, everything looks good on the computer screen, except for an ugly woman. That's noticeable immediately Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Absolutely not!

and

HELL YES!!!! Smile
^^^^I am with this guy.^^^^ But DTD sells the top ones too. I looked at them before, but someone on the big forum has them and they look like ass on an SS.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Bill,

I love the style of those 20s, but as someone who has run a set of 20s before and is more concerned with function than looks, I would advise you to stick to 18s.

My problems with the 20s is that I live in a rural area and the roads are never perfect, the less rubber, the less suspension.

They do look good though.

I'm not wild about the second set, but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:02 pm

These type of questions about wheel advise often perplex & confound me.
Its almost like your best buddy asking you if you think his new girlfriend is more or less gorgeous than his last girlfriend.
This is a "lose-lose" scenario for me, especially if I'm the one asked.
And then more so, when my personal tastes have nothing to do with his, AND especially if I think that one of them is more hideous/gruesome than the other!

Do guys really pick a girlfriend (car/wheel/etc.) based upon what his buddies think of how she (or it) looks?
Now I can understand if you've made a G/F or wheel choice that is perfect for you in every aspect that is important to YOU,
and subsequently several of your buddies make strong comments of approval, and you wind up feeling quite good!

I'm with Pooge: Practical considerations make the smartest choice "look better" as time passes!

Advice about "which brake upgrades require what wheel backspace cavity?" is a more sensible line of inquiry in my world.

The big national board has a VERY large wheel thread, but I was put off by the fact that there are too many sub-categories mixed in.
I would love to have a permanent thread HERE (broken up into sub-groupings) that covers wheels for A) Performance, B) Largest fitment, C) Aesthetics only, D) Brake clearance, E) Low cost, , , Etc.

Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Machine-De-Zine wrote:
These type of questions about wheel advise often perplex & confound me.
Its almost like your best buddy asking you if you think his new girlfriend is more or less gorgeous than his last girlfriend.
This is a "lose-lose" scenario for me, especially if I'm the one asked.
And then more so, when my personal tastes have nothing to do with his, AND especially if I think that one of them is more hideous/gruesome than the other!

Do guys really pick a girlfriend (car/wheel/etc.) based upon what his buddies think of how she (or it) looks?
Now I can understand if you've made a G/F or wheel choice that is perfect for you in every aspect that is important to YOU,
and subsequently several of your buddies make strong comments of approval, and you wind up feeling quite good!

I'm with Pooge: Practical considerations make the smartest choice "look better" as time passes!

Advice about "which brake upgrades require what wheel backspace cavity?" is a more sensible line of inquiry in my world.

The big national board has a VERY large wheel thread, but I was put off by the fact that there are too many sub-categories mixed in.
I would love to have a permanent thread HERE (broken up into sub-groupings) that covers wheels for A) Performance, B) Largest fitment, C) Aesthetics only, D) Brake clearance, E) Low cost, , , Etc.

I suppose you're right, cuz even if everyone on here said the ones I wanted were butt-ugly, I'd probably still buy them. I think I'm gonna go with the 18s. I like the look and I don't wanna lose the ride quality. Anyone ever run the Riken raptors?
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:58 pm

I used those tires. Stock size on SS wheels. For the price, I say they were a good buy for driveability. I have no complaints further than they were horrible in the snow on a 17" wheel to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:28 pm

8bud wrote:
Machine-De-Zine wrote:

I suppose you're right, cuz even if everyone on here said the ones I wanted were butt-ugly, I'd probably still buy them. I think I'm gonna go with the 18s. I like the look and I don't wanna lose the ride quality. Anyone ever run the Riken raptors?

The Raptors were already on the wheels that came on my SS.
I've been on them for over a year now, and they are holding up to my abuse better than expected.
They don't grip very well, even in the dry, and they reach their threshold less predictably than the Nitto NT-555s.
When driven conservatively, they deliver a good $$$ savings.
In the rain, I've learned to drive on the Raptors slower than the other imbeciles out there, me being just another one, after all.
After having had Nitto NT-555s as an upgrade to the original Comps, I can tell you that for my purposes, the Raptors get two thumbs down.
But, , , they ARE very affordable as compared to the NT-555s.
If you can find 18" wheels that you like, you WILL find that there are many more good choices of excellent tires for varied purposes.
Imho, 20s (or larger) are too impractical - or for someone who lives around & drives on glass smooth roads.
The 17" choices for the OEM WX3 wheel are slim pickins, and getting worse as time passes.
The wheels I have on my BBB are (18x10.5)-R & (18x9.5)-F.
295/45ZR18 Rear & 275/40ZR18 Front, so; 26.5 tall fronts with 28.5 rears- - zero ABS errors, so far!
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

I too am a big fan of the Nitto 555s. I will be buying a set next spring, if not sooner.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Riken's are produced by Michelin. So, I would have to say they should perform well. I have read online they are terrible in the wet. Not a concern of mine, I rarely ever drive my Caprice. I have a set of 285/40 17's (now discontinued in this size) for the rear of my Caprice mounted on SS wheels. They've yet to make it on the car so I cannot report how they perform.
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I would definitely like to go with the Nittos, but it is a $260 price jump. And for the amount of time I drive the car, which would be almost never in wet weather I think I'll probably cheap out and go with the rikens.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Diggin the 18's Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need an opinion on wheels....   Need an opinion on wheels.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Need an opinion on wheels....
Page 1 of 1