BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Transmission lines EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Transmission lines EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Transmission lines EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Transmission lines EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Transmission lines EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Transmission lines EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Transmission lines EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Transmission lines EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Transmission lines EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Transmission lines

Go down 
+2
Tomz9C1
SScarlett_Caprice
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

is there any way to temporarily fix the leaky metal crimps on the transmission cooler lines in my car? if not where can i order new lines? when i had my roadmaster i bought some from the dealership i work at and they were insanely expensive.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Year,make,model,engine? Just replaced all lines on my 94 9C1. This website will show you what you need.
http://www.compnine.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Where's it leaking? Is it somewhere along the line itself? On my white Caprice, I had a pinhole rot through one of the lines up under the front of the engine- I got a length of transmission cooler line hose from Advance which had an inner diameter that slid over the outer diameter of the line, cut out a bad section of line, and just double clamped the rubber hose on each end. It's worked fine ever since.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:36 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
Where's it leaking? Is it somewhere along the line itself? On my white Caprice, I had a pinhole rot through one of the lines up under the front of the engine- I got a length of transmission cooler line hose from Advance which had an inner diameter that slid over the outer diameter of the line, cut out a bad section of line, and just double clamped the rubber hose on each end. It's worked fine ever since.
That will work as a "quick fix". If there is 1 pinhole now, you can bet there's another right behind it.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 6:45 am

Tomz9C1 wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
That will work as a "quick fix". If there is 1 pinhole now, you can bet there's another right behind it.

I know- I replaced like a foot of the line in question though just in case
Back to top Go down
boojum

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 am

Somebody recently posted photos on that other forum of lines from inline or classic tube.
Back to top Go down
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:30 am

tomz9c1, i think you just found me my new favorite website. ive never seen so many diagrams in one place! they are fairly determined that the 94-95 b bodys were available with a v6 and a 5 speed tho....

anyway its a 1995 caprice LT1, and all of the cooler lines have built up nasty oil around the metal crimps where it goes from a hard line to a soft line, but the one thats actually making a puddle on the driveway is on the drivers side right before it passes under the distributor.

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 am

SScarlett_Caprice wrote:

anyway its a 1995 caprice LT1, and all of the cooler lines have built up nasty oil around the metal crimps where it goes from a hard line to a soft line, but the one thats actually making a puddle on the driveway is on the drivers side right before it passes under the distributor.

Its only a matter of time before that happens.
Replace the lines ( & wait a little while before it happens again)
OR
use AN braided lines & fitting to get rid of this PIA occurance.
I have saved the P/N's (from Hussker the other forum)
Not sure how expensive it is, but I've been dying to do it.
PM me if you want those P/N's (theyre at home)
THESE are from someone else (sorry dont remember & didnt copy thier name)
THESE arent the braided but MAY be cheaper

Again if you are tired of the leaking crimps on the cooler lines for the oil and trans coolers in the radiator here are the part numbers to swap them out to something that doesn't leak.

Here are the Jegs part numbers that will replace the crimps and rubber lines on the transmission side. You need to use the Push Loc hose with these fittings or there is another style that is braided stainless style. But only those two. Any other type of hose might not stay locked on the fittings.

555-110051 - Qty 4 - #6 STR PUSH LOC BLACK
555-110551 - Qty 4 - #6 MALE TO 3/8" TUBE BLK
555-102010 - Qty 1 - #6 PUSH LOC HOSE 5' BLK
Back to top Go down
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 am

sdstick wrote:
SScarlett_Caprice wrote:

Its only a matter of time before that happens.
Replace the lines ( & wait a little while before it happens again)
OR
use AN braided lines & fitting to get rid of this PIA occurance.
I have saved the P/N's (from Hussker the other forum)
Not sure how expensive it is, but I've been dying to do it.
PM me if you want those P/N's (theyre at home)
THESE are from someone else (sorry dont remember & didnt copy thier name)
THESE arent the braided but MAY be cheaper

Again if you are tired of the leaking crimps on the cooler lines for the oil and trans coolers in the radiator here are the part numbers to swap them out to something that doesn't leak.

Here are the Jegs part numbers that will replace the crimps and rubber lines on the transmission side. You need to use the Push Loc hose with these fittings or there is another style that is braided stainless style. But only those two. Any other type of hose might not stay locked on the fittings.

555-110051 - Qty 4 - #6 STR PUSH LOC BLACK
555-110551 - Qty 4 - #6 MALE TO 3/8" TUBE BLK
555-102010 - Qty 1 - #6 PUSH LOC HOSE 5' BLK

I think im going to use the jegs parts, money is a big issue right now and i doubt i can afford the braided lines. the big problem right now is the oil cooler lines to the radiator on the drivers side, can i use the same parts just more of them for that?

Back to top Go down
boojum

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 pm

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2466215
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

boojum wrote:
Oh yea, sure Jim, now you tell me Laughing If I were to do it again, I would go with Classic Tube. Could have saved myself $75! HuSSker has made his own oil cooler lines by reworking the used ones with the braided.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 pm

If you are also having an issue with the oil coolerside rubber lines and crimps
you can use the following along with the left over hose from the Trans side
(get a longer #6 hose if you are replacing much more then the stock lengths).

555-110212 - Qty 2 -#6-#8 FLARE REDUCER BLK
555-110051 - Qty 4 - #6 STR PUSH LOC BLK
555-110552 - Qty 2 - #8 FEMALE TO 1/2" TUBE BLK
555-110551 - Qty 2 - #6 MALE TO 3/8" TUBE BLK

Once again I copied this.
From the block (oil adapter) to the block side of the rubber hose is 1/2" on the oil cooler
then the rubber hose crimp downsizes to the 3/8" again going to the radiator.

Alot of times the fitting into the radiator has no intention of coming out.
If thats your case, your doomed to assembling this on the car....no big deal.
Good luck. We expect prices & pics asap.... Arrow
Available Hose Sizes
-2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -8 -10 -12 -16 -20

Hose Size is the measurement of the Inner Diameter of the hose measured in units of 1/16th of an inch.

Examples:
a -2 hose has an I.D. of 1/8" [306 only]
a -3 hose has an I.D. of 3/16"
a -4 hose has an I.D. of 1/4"
a -5 hose has an I.D. of 5/16"
a -6 hose has an I.D. of 3/8"
a -8 hose has an I.D. of 1/2"
a -10 hose has an I.D. of 5/8"
a -12 hose has an I.D. of 3/4"
a -16 hose has an I.D. of 1"
a -20 hose has an I.D. of 1 1/4"

Last edited by sdstick on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
boojum

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Tomz9C1 wrote:
boojum wrote:
Oh yea, sure Jim, now you tell me Laughing If I were to do it again, I would go with Classic Tube. Could have saved myself $75! HuSSker has made his own oil cooler lines by reworking the used ones with the braided.

Hey I didn't know. Smile I thought that was a new thread, I only just read it a week ago.

Now does eveyone know that Dorman makes both Civi and 9C1 oil cooler lines?

I'd still like to know why an all hard line, no rubber, can't be used for the tranny cooler. That's what's on my Blazer, I bent up my own. Maybe they just won't fit in if they are all one piece.

Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

I just plugged mine up with some epoxy, hasn't leaked in a couple years. I do plan on deleting the lines this spring.
Back to top Go down
boojum

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 6:03 pm

I almost forgot. Smile

I used the coupon code "VISA" and got $10 off oil cooler lines for the Suburban from Advance Auto.

And they also have "RAD25" for %25 off a radiator.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 pm

boojum wrote:
Tomz9C1 wrote:
boojum wrote:

I'd still like to know why an all hard line, no rubber, can't be used for the tranny cooler. That's what's on my Blazer, I bent up my own. Maybe they just won't fit in if they are all one piece.

The rubber sections serve as a Stress reliever. Where the engine and tranny will move and flex, the radiator and coolers are stationary. Something has to give!
Back to top Go down
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 pm

ok this is all great, but since im broke as hell wouldnt it work just fine to put in new rubber hoses and hose clamp them to the hardline?
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 pm

SScarlett_Caprice wrote:
ok this is all great, but since im broke as hell wouldnt it work just fine to put in new rubber hoses and hose clamp them to the hardline?
Use rubber fuel line, It is much stronger.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 pm

That would work until it doesnt.
If it fails you lose oil & pressure. pale
If you have no other choice, at least put a flare on the pipe to give it a fighting chance.
I'd watch it like a hawk.
Back to top Go down
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm

that looks to be my only option until i can afford the proper setup, which will only be a week or two.

thanks for all the help everyone, this week has been nothing but problems.... new water pump/drive oil seal, new timing chain cover gasget, cam seal, crank seal, and when i loosened my mechanical fan tensioner the wrench slipped and i put a pinhole in my radiator. Mad
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Dude, that sucks! Maybe someone close has one you can use till you can replace it?
Back to top Go down
boojum

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 10:40 pm

The civi oil cooler lines are $48.99 at Advance Auto. If you order online and pick up at the store you can use a coupon code to get at least $10 off.

Are you sure it's not oil from the water pump seal? It's not that I doubt the oil cooler lines leak but oil from a bad pump seal gets just about everywhere.

edit: The 9C1 lines are around $38.
Back to top Go down
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:20 am

the front of the engine is completly dry (or at least it is now) but you can actually watch some of the lines drip as the car idles. and the pinhole is no big deal, i have some stop-leak that will plug it up for a month or two until i can get a new radiator. i found one on summit racing for less than $200.

unless someone on here has a radiator they want to sell....?
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 pm

I have 1 for a 9C1(non oil cooler) and 1 for a B4U(Oil cooler inc). They are not pretty but they are leak free, $35. PM me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Transmission lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission lines   Transmission lines Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission lines
Page 1 of 1