BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....

Go down 
+4
sdstick
Machine-De-Zine
IMPALADAKID
cctrack78
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cctrack78

cctrack78

brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... Empty
PostSubject: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 pm

So I had a line go and went to look at the others and there are two other rusty ones so I'm pulling those too, at some point someone had replaced a couple with the copper alloy ones so those look good. My question is what sort of things should I be looking out for? Common mistakes? I'm planning on getting more "copper" ones to replace the rusted ones. Another thing this is for a 95 roadmaster wagon. The rear is one of the shot lines that I am going to replace, where does it end? I'm sure I will find it, but does any body have schematics or diagrams of the brakes lines. Also after I get these new lines in do I just fill the master and bleed in a particular order. I'm new to this, so I'm taking it one step at a time. Thanks I appreciate your input(s) as always.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Bleeding sequence.

1. Pass rear
2. Drivers rear
3. Pass front
4. Drivers front

Loosen bleeder, then snug it up. Have someone in drivers seat ready, and yell Pump, Pump, Hold. Crack bleeder, and close. Repeat till only fluid comes out. Then tighten bleeder back. After each wheel is done, fill reservoir to keep from running dry.
Back to top Go down
cctrack78

cctrack78

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks. I wonder if my 5 year old can reach the brake pedal?!
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 am

I hope the line that was installed previously as a repair was not plain copper, like what is used on fuel oil delivery lines on home heating tanks & burners.

Don't laugh, I've seen that potentially deadly mistake before.

I'm thinking that the lines you are referring to are CuNiFer, (or a differently branded variation thereof) originally developed by Volvo in the early 70's to fight against the very problems you're experiencing now.

These very malleable Copper-Nickel-Ferrous lines can be properly flared and still contain panic stop brake fluid pressure spikes.

Some very qualified mechanics don't like this CuNiFer material due to it's very soft state. This also means that technically (perhaps even legally) it is not supposed to be reinstalled after its been snugged up once!

Dead soft annealed plain Copper piping is strictly intended for low pressure applications, and is also prone to work hardening induced rupture failures.

It is not DOT approved for braking usage, but CuNiFer is legal and approved for cars and trucks on US roads.

Std DOT ferrous piping is double-wall mild steel that is two layers of one continuous piece of sheet steel rolled and furnace solder-brazed and then coated with anti-corrossion inhibiting "paint" or plating.

I have had the best luck with solid annealed stainless steel piping, but it can be a bear to double flare with simple hand powered flare forming tools!

Also note; do not patch in repairs using compression unions, (even with the correct DOT piping) you must use ISO metric bubble flares or USA inch double flares to join pipes and fittings.

I have a 95 RoadMaster sitting here with a rotted (failed) line running from the ABS unit to the flex-pipe fitting above the rear axle.

This is the very long rear run pipe, and it travels from the ABS unit over the steering gear box, then along the left frame rail all the way back to the center of the rear "over-axle" cross-member.

You'll have a better time using flare-nut wrenches on the fittings,,,

and pay close attention to thread pitch and sizes and flare shapes, as there are some inch, and some metric on these cars,,, some ISO bubble, and some US Inch double flares!

If you need, I will specify which fitting is which, and where they are located regarding their thread sizes and flare style.
Back to top Go down
cctrack78

cctrack78

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 5:33 pm

so getting at the line to the rear, is proving to be quite a chore, any tips? Trade secrets.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Remove the lower shock mounts & buy as much access OVER the diff as possible (watch out for self leveling if applicable)

That connection is usually the biggest problem ....if you have all the replacement line, you may want to cut the existing to use a socket

All the way down the frame rail the line just clips into a plastic retainer...that parts easy

Good luck....(sure you cant just splice right?)
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 pm

I cut and spliced the new line in my wagon. I cut right where it came down the frame rail. Bubble flared it. No problems 10k miles later lots of hard stopping. Maybe it was double .... Either way, no problems.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 pm

There are no special measures to take when bleeding an ABS system? I've only bled brakes on '60s and '70s Pontiacs before.

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Bull wrote:
There are no special measures to take when bleeding an ABS system?  I've only bled brakes on '60s and '70s Pontiacs before.

Not that I've ever been instructed to do. Although, technically...you're supposed to crack the bleeder before compressing the piston during a pad slap. The old fluid with sediment from the caliper has been linked to faulty pressure hold valves in the unit. Does that really happen around here with the round and "don't-look-at-it-or-it-will-break" bleeder screws? Not really.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Bull wrote:
There are no special measures to take when bleeding an ABS system?  I've only bled brakes on '60s and '70s Pontiacs before.

None at all. Think about it, when you press the brake pedal you are pushing the fluid thru the ABS module to get to the wheels.

I was worried about this too when I replaced the master on my gf's Honda. But it bled out just fine.
Back to top Go down
cctrack78

cctrack78

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm

the rear brakes are sucking hard. It doesn't help that I'm a drive way grease monkey, with limited room.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....   brakes?  Lines rusty, broken lines..... Empty

Back to top Go down

brakes? Lines rusty, broken lines.....
Page 1 of 1