BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Fuel line splicing? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Fuel line splicing? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Fuel line splicing? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Fuel line splicing? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Fuel line splicing? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Fuel line splicing? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Fuel line splicing?

Go down 
+2
bammax
FUN-9C1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

Fuel line splicing? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi guys, it's been a while! (I say that every time, don't I...)
The steel lines on the fuel sender assy and the connectors on the nylon line at the pump have rusted through on the RMW. What I want to do in the interest of time, money, and not replacing a perfectly good fuel pump and perfectly good line, is splice from the pump to the nylon line. The steel lines at the pump have enough solid steel that I can cut off the rusty part and somehow splice to them. Both the supply and return fuel lines are, of course perfectly fine except for the quick disconnect part which one is rusted through and the other is right behind it. Pisses me off that they don't make that shit out of stainless. Anyway, so I need to go like one foot from the steel lines to the nylon lines.

I was all set to use rubber fuel line and spring clamps, but I started second guessing that plan wondering if the line would last very long going back and forth from 0 to 40psi all the time. Is that big "NOT FOR USE ON FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS" printed on the hose BS or is that for real? Another thing I was thinking was using compression fittings if I could find some that were the right size. Not sure if brass english ones will work on the nylon line which is like .010" to .020" bigger than english tubing.

I refuse to pay $250 to replace a perfectly good pump and line.
Anybody have any other clever inexpensive ideas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I had a random FUN-9C1 sighting on the spaulding the other day Rob. Very Happy

Sorry I have no usefull input here. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

No shit? Was I behaving myself? Smile What were you driving?
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I always spliced lines by doing the double flare (45* flare) route and never had a problem. I used that method on brake lines which hold alot more pressure than any FI system puts out. Since your talking about splicing to nylon I have no clue how you would do that. I'm sure you coule splice in a new quick connect fitting to the hard line to make it work, but I don't know where you'd get it or how to do it. If it were me I'd just run new steel lines or even braided lines in place of the nylon.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm

The part stores have nylon fuel line repair kits. I saw them looking for TBI stuff but I didn't look very close. The nylon lines are about 1.5 - 2 ft long. There were in with the "help" stuff.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 pm

I had a similar problem with my 95 RMW. It's been a few years, but to the best of my recollection here goes: If the leak is on the tubes coming out of the sending unit, I'm pretty sure you have no choice but to replace the sending unit. That is what I had to do. From the other side of the sending you can repair the lines. I used kits they sold at NAPA, they worked good.

One other note, if your trying to use regular fuel line to repair, I think you better put the tools down and bring it to a mechanic.

Tom C.

Last edited by silverfox103 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:37 pm

boojum wrote:
The part stores have nylon fuel line repair kits. I saw them looking for TBI stuff but I didn't look very close. The nylon lines are about 1.5 - 2 ft long. There were in with the "help" stuff.

That would be great if I could just get the connectors and a little nylon line. Another idea I had if that doesn't pan out is to use steel line to fill in what I removed, then use rubber line over the butt joints, with 3 clamps at each connection- one at each end, and one right over the joint to keep the rubber from flexing due to the pressure.

Yeah, bammax, I know the "right" thing to do is replace it all, but I just can't bring myself to replace 10 feet of line because 1 inch of it went bad, or spend $140 on a sender assy because 50 cents worth of steel line rusted away. If there's a way around that I'm gonna find it!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Yeah, what Jimbo said. Get the fuel line repair kit at autozone. They also have the fuel sender assembly with the new metal lines at a very reasonable price, IIRC. I did them on Morticia.

Sending unit.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 6:24 pm

If 1 inch is bad now then another inch is bad at the other end and hasn't shown itself yet. You'd be suprised how cheaply you can replace a fuel line front to back if your not concerned with exact bends and factory connections.

Also there is a rubber fuel line that's rated for FI applications. I used it on my Blazer along with a specific Vette filter when I had to cut out the original filter.
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 pm

I'll check out the FI rated line, thanks! I went to NAPA today thinking I was going to buy the connectors- HA!! Nope, back to plan A. Each connector of which I would need 2 male and 2 female was $10 each, 1 ft of nylon line of which I would need 2 was $10 each, then I'd still have to connect the male ends to the sender assy somehow. So I'd still be out $60-$70 just to replace $1 worth of brake line. F-ing bastards!

Back to my $3.50 worth of brake line, clamps and fuel line idea. If I can get some of that FI rated hose to connect the lines together, I'll be 100% happy with that fix. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Adapting to the sending assembly is going to be the problem. After 15 years of NE winters, they are shot. Maybe you will be able to adapt, but be carful.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Steel tubing is cheap. I'd replace the whole dang thing myself. At least as a way to find any other bad spots and also to reroute the line in a more convenient way. I think I was buying off the shelf tubing from Autozone for $5 or so for a 3' line with flare fittings already installed on both ends. I'll shut up now because my line leaks at the tank and I haven't even climbed under to see how bad yet Laughing

If you go with hose and just clamp it down then here's what your looking for
FI rated hose
I've used hose and clamps on a tbi engine and never had a problem with it. Just make sure you cut the hose to the right length because it's better to slide alot of hose over the tube then to have a short piece that makes for precise clamp placement. I think I put about 1-2" of hose over the tube just to provide plenty of room for clamping. Plus it keeps the fresh cut tube end from being as expossed to future rust.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 1:36 pm

The car i just bought has 3-4 of those nylon split fittings in it, he had so much fuel pressure it would blow the hose. He bought some special thing and spliced them in. I haven't looked, but i'm guessing a $1 double barbed fitting. lol

That sender idea sounds scary to me. But i'm not a fan of messing with fuel.

He was running 60PSI fuel pressure to feed that GOLEN LT1 motor. adn those fittings worked fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 am

8 Stainless steel clamps + 2x 14" FI rated fuel line = good to go for ~$30! Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line splicing?   Fuel line splicing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel line splicing?
Page 1 of 1