BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Rear vent window re-attachment / repair (Wagon)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) Empty
PostSubject: Rear vent window re-attachment / repair (Wagon)   Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:41 pm

I am having a problem re-attaching my rear vent window on my 96 Roadmaster Wagon. The Glue that attached the two little aluminum hinges has given up. I have combed several related threads and found that you can use rear view mirror adhesive. Sounds credible. But when I go to re-attach the window to the car the hinges pop off as soon as I try to close the window. When the rubber seal begins to push against the window there is a TINK sound and the hinges pop off.

I have cleaned both surfaces to surgical levels. I used a sparing amount of rear window adhesive (a single drop) just like you would with a rear view mirror coats the whole piece of aluminum and they just pop off. Is there something I am missing here? Is there a better adhesive? Do I need to rough up both sides. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am using a Permatex "professional" kit from the local auto parts store. Is there a better kit out there? Is there a better adhesive?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window re-attachment / repair (Wagon)   Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Try Gorilla Glue. I've used it before with good results. I also duct tape the hinge side of the window closed for a couple days, too, so it has plenty of time to cure. The cold weather is probably not helping things, either.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Mr. Corvo you are the MAN!   Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

toomanytoyz,
You were right on the mark!

Thank you very much. Gorilla Glue for the win! cheers

Here is a picture of the glass before re-attachment of the mounts. I also used 1000 grit wet/dry paper to clean/scuff up the surfaces. if you look closely there is a bit of a shadow on the glass of the lower attachment point. After sandpaper it was gone. So perhaps there was something still there during the first go-around.
However clamps and Gorilla glue worked killer. There was a bit of overrun from the gorilla glue. It expands out as it dries but a little razor blade action and it all cleaned up. Pictures are below.

Glass without hinges
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) IMG_5084
The Opening
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) IMG_5098
It even opens correctly.
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) IMG_5107-1
After re attachment
Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) IMG_5105-1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window re-attachment / repair (Wagon)   Rear vent window re-attachment  / repair (Wagon) Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear vent window re-attachment / repair (Wagon)
Page 1 of 1