BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Well my car is fixed. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Well my car is fixed. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Well my car is fixed. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Well my car is fixed. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Well my car is fixed. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Well my car is fixed. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Well my car is fixed.

Go down 
+3
bammax
toomanytoyz
Fishah
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishah

Fishah

Well my car is fixed. Empty
PostSubject: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Dunno how. Dunno why. But it works now.

Jim, I think whatever you were f'ing with under the hood - fixed the problem.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Woot! Very Happy

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 pm

So my car isn't really fixed. It was just messing with me.

Same problem as before, just more intermittent. It seems to happen more when I have more gas in the car.

Weird.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:07 pm

I know the audio on this vid sucks since it's computer voice, but watch this video and take notes. It may expose the root cause of your problem. Especially the part about a wet charcoal canister and the fuel level causing problems.

Evap explained
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 pm

I couldn't really watch that.

Care to summarize it for me?

Could a wet charcoal canister to be blame?
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 pm

The fumes from the tank go into the charcoal canister and the intake so as not to ruin the environment. If you have a valve on the canister that got soaked it may not properly channel the fumes in the right way. The other issue is that with a charcoal canister full of water there's no place for the fuel vapor to go when you fill the tank up and the system becomes over pressurized.

My suggestion is to remove the canister and dump out the water and dry out the filter. Then check all the lines for leaks and reassemble. You may want to also check any solenoids you have in the system to make sure they're working right. It would suck to pull water from the canister into the fuel tank or intake.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm

don't you work for a mechanic ??
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 pm

I'd inspect all the ignition wires.
Back to top Go down
bikebaer

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 pm

I've got a 94 Caprice wagon,LT1, I crunched my hood two days ago in the rain,and the rain has not stopped 'till today. Car won't start...I'm thinking this Water in the Canister is my problem as the hood is funneling water right on top of that spot. It turns over endlessly and coughs. Any other possibilities while i,m here? Thanx.. scott I need it Sunday to pick up another hood.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:22 am

All things related now have me thinking.
May be a stretch but lets get some answers here.
I came to post up if anyone remembers
if the gas tank should whooosh when you remove the cap or not ?
I remember a ISSF thread that some did & some didnt.
This ties together because of Fishas problem (fixed?) & my recent fuel pump
I go to start the car & it wont. Low fuel outside all day in the heat.
I put gas in it & it wasnt better. Fuel pressure was like 30 & stumbled (dropped)
I siphoned out 5 of the 7 gallons ( I remember the whoosh when I uncapped it) & it was all better.
OK if the canister isnt working right. Clogged or Wet I'm assuming the pressure happens. Because I dont think the tank should whoosh (vapors to the air)
Add the reported bad internal tank wiring that happens & fuel level may have an affect
I know intermittent means no real answer so I may be making this up
At least maybe we can get an answer about the canister

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 am

My car still does the - whoosh -.

My problem still rears its head once or twice a week. I can get through it with a few cycles of heavy acceleration.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 4:33 pm

The tank should make the hissing/rushing water sound as the cap is removed. It means that the tank was under pressure and the cap being removed is releasing the pressure. If the sound isn't present then the pressure is not being maintained which relates to a leak somewhere in the system. Most likely the gas cap is worn out or there's a leak in the fuel vapor line going from the tank to the filler neck as that line never gets replaced by most people.

The evap canister is easy to check. Just unbolt it from the fender and unhook the wires/hoses. Then remove the lid and look inside. It should be empty of fluid and the bottom of the canister should have a dry filter element in it. Don't be suprised if it smells of fuel since that's the point of the canister.

If there is actual fuel in the canister it means the system is overfull and is overflowing fuel directly into the canister. I've never seen this event on an FI car but I have seen it on older cars when the evap systems first started showing up.

If the canister has water in it or the filter is soaked with water then the canister ingested water from outside and is putting that water vapor into the engine anytime the solenoid tells it to purge into the intake. This would cause the same symptoms as a car running on bad gas as the engine sees this event the same as if the car had watered down gas in the tank.

I'm not an expert at any of this but these are the issues I have seen personally in dealing with evap systems.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:22 pm

bammax wrote:
I'm not an expert at any of this but these are the issues I have seen personally in dealing with evap systems.

I'm no expert either so take this as discussion....

bammax wrote:
The tank should make the hissing/rushing water sound as the cap is removed. It means that the tank was under pressure and the cap being removed is releasing the pressure. If the sound isn't present then the pressure is not being maintained which relates to a leak somewhere in the system. Most likely the gas cap is worn out or there's a leak in the fuel vapor line going from the tank to the filler neck as that line never gets replaced by most people. .

Wouldnt this scenario defeat the PURPOSE of vapor control (vapor whooshing to air)?
The purge valve vents fuel vapors FROM the tank TO the intake (& burns them)
I gave Fisha my guess, maybe he'll test it out & give us feedback

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:51 am

The purge valve only works after a certain pressure is reached. The system needs to maintain a set pressure for the fuel injection to work right, which is why a fualty gas cap can cause issues. If you ever run an old style vented cap on a modern car you should see the issues it causes. This is the reason obd2 cars have codes for fualty caps and for fualty evap systems.

My only issue is I'm not sure on his '93 just how integral the evap is to the car since I don't have a chiltons or service manual for that setup. I know on the old carb setups you can pull the entire evap out without a single issue other than some fuel smell when the tank is full. On a '96 you need to do reprogramming to even think about messing with the evap. Any car in between has some built in codes but it varies as to how many and how important they are.

Either way water in the canister is a very bad thing to any setup.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:39 am

OK that makes sense. Glad you knew enough to convince me.
So if he disconnects the intake connection temporarily (assuming he hasnt addressed the canister)
he should rule out that as the culprit? The 93 uses the same purge valve as 94-96

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 am

It's hard to know how well it would improve things since the car is designed to feed the vapors into the intake. I know when I replaced my blown evap lines my car idled smoother and my fuel mileage seemed to pick up a little. I'm always assumed this is because the engine is tuned to adjust for the additional air and fuel being added to the mixture, although this is based entirerly on the idea that the evap purges into the tb at a point that's after all of the sensors which monitor incoming air. The best person to ask would be someone with experience with the tuning tables because they could tell exactly what the pcm/ecm is looking for and expecting from the evap system. I'd still say the best way to check out the system is to look in the canister. It's in the front passenger side fender on the '95-'96's. The '93 should still be in a front fender but maybe not the same exact spot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well my car is fixed.   Well my car is fixed. Empty

Back to top Go down

Well my car is fixed.
Page 1 of 1