BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...

Go down 
+6
IMPALADAKID
1A2 Service Wagon
No Moa
V8Killer
Matt Trakker
toomanytoyz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  Empty
PostSubject: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 2:07 pm

So... The great debate... I am thinking about selling the slut (00 GMC ECSB 4X4 2500HD) and getting myself a nice diesel truck. The last few times I've towed with it, through the mountains and big hills, it's struggled with the weight. So... Time to upgrade if I'm going to be getting a car trailer and doing more towing. Talk me out of it. Or talk me into a particular truck and why. I'm thinking mid 00's Superduty and a programmer. Done. Or just throw gears at the slut (has 3.73's right now) and live with even worse mileage (12mpg) and drive the paid-for workhorse. I'm at a point where she's still worth something though, and this IS the time of year to sell a 4x4...HALP!
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Keep the slut. "Doan bee stewwpit"
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Or just throw gears at the slut (has 3.73's right now)

....or go go back to a smaller stock diameter tire  face palm

You're losing gear reduction, and wasting a ton of power turning the big wheels/tires

Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:13 pm

I wouldn't, but if your gonna tow more then do, ps I want the hummer wheels! I have some steel rims I'd give if you don't have your stockers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Might have an alum b body driveshaft to trade also. Lmao
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Wide tires are also bad for snow use, sell yah tiyiz n'get a set ah steel wheels n'some skinny ones!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:04 pm

I know I'm back down to like 3.23's or so with the rims and tires, but changing them IS. NOT. AN. OPTION. ;)They look totally badass on there and they are staying. And my big by wide Nitto Terra Grapplers kick ass in teh snow, kehd. Wink

So far I'm leaning towards keeping the truck and doing the gears. Anyone know of a 3/4 ton 4.10 front diff kicking around?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I know I'm back down to like 3.23's or so with the rims and tires, but changing them IS. NOT. AN. OPTION. ;)They look totally badass on there and they are staying. And my big by wide Nitto Terra Grapplers kick ass in teh snow, kehd. Wink

So far I'm leaning towards keeping the truck and doing the gears. Anyone know of a 3/4 ton 4.10 front diff kicking around?

WTF are you towing kehd? Christ almighty, guy.

Maybe you can still find this specialty Mack if it's still local and suits yah needs...

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Oh, and I WILL NOT PUT PIZZA CUTTERS on it! Boo! Hiss! Wink

Mmmmm... Pizza. Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  3770943023 
Back to top Go down
1A2 Service Wagon

PostSubject: Get a diesel   Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:49 pm

If your really going to be towing...sell the SLUT while the body style is still desirable and get yourself a Super Duty or a Dodge 1 ton...pick up a programmer and cold air kit and be a happy Crovo...Besides the purchase will provide you with another toy to tinker with...and you already know you want a new toy anyway Smile 

Good luck with the search!
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:51 pm

02 Duramax/Alison
09 Duramax/Alison
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Trade it for a TBI (> sliced bread) Suburban . Good gas mileage and a great tow vehicle. Smile

Or just rent a truck the few times you need to tow.

Or put some air bag helpers in the wagon springs and trade the truck for a nice aluminiummm tilt bed trailer.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah, the Superdutys with a programmer were leading the way. But for now, I think I'm going to throw gears at the slut and invest in a decent trailer. Maybe if my venture turns a profit, I'll look more seriously into a nice diesel.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Smile

And Jim, I like the wagon idea!
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Yeah, the Superdutys with a programmer were leading the way. But for now, I think I'm going to throw gears at the slut and invest in a decent trailer. Maybe if my venture turns a profit, I'll look more seriously into a nice diesel.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Smile

And Jim, I like the wagon idea!

Useful info: http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/6.0L-powerstroke-problems.html

Powerstroke headgaskets:

The Issues

"There are several reliability issues with the 6.0L Powerstroke. The most significant of these include EGR and engine oil cooler failure, as well as head gasket failure. Other common reliability issues incude variable-geometry turbo (VGT) issues, fuel-injection control module (FICM) failure, and fuel injection system failures, among others. It is interesting to note that the 6.0L engine has proven to be significantly more reliable in it's original application, powering medium-duty International trucks. This can be attributed to significantly lower-horsepower tunes, as well as a more open engine compartment which allows for better airflow through the radiator and better heat dissipation from the engine. "

Just get used to it looking like this:

Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  Powers11

study 
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 9:19 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
02 Duramax/Alison
09 Duramax/Alison

'07 OBS Duramax "D" engine, Federal emissions, 360 HP  cheers 

'08 up have exteneded emissions (particulate filters, afterburn)  Mad 
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 am

06-07 6.0 fords were fine, lots of them around here. 04-05 were crap.

Best dmax to get is 06-07 classic LBZ. 08-09 had some DPF/head gasket issues. This from my buddy at the GM garage who's their diesel mechanic.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 9:35 am

No Moa wrote:
06-07 6.0 fords were fine, lots of them around here. 04-05 were crap.

Best dmax to get is 06-07 classic LBZ. 08-09 had some DPF/head gasket issues.  This from my buddy at the GM garage who's their diesel mechanic.

Like he is going to buy something that new  Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 9:44 am

Where was my head, holy shit. Stick with the slut with new gears.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 am

If you are still so inclined:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-250-F250-XLT-2007-ford-super-duty-f-250-xlt-crew-cab-/181279369234?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a3517a812&item=181279369234&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_24410wt_961

No way in hell I'd buy any diesel truck with a REALLY good warranty tho  No 
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 pm

God thats fugly.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Yeah, the Superdutys with a programmer were leading the way.

Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  Fords-10
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Glen, what is LBZ?

And Al, that was 2wd!

But yeah, I think I'm just going to put gears in the slut. But that's not til after the garage is built, so I'm a ways away...
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Lbz is the engine designation for 06-07 duramax. It was the last engine before the DPF engines. Makes the most stock hp and torque of the pre DPF engines.

360hp 645 torque.

If your going to spend more time hauling sh!t, spend the $ and buy one of these.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 pm

No Moa wrote:
Lbz is the engine designation for 06-07 duramax. It was the last engine before the DPF engines. Makes the most stock hp and torque of the pre DPF engines.

360hp 645 torque.

If your going to spend more time hauling sh!t, spend the $ and buy one of these.

AKA the best one.

LB7 is good, but you'd better like tearing into a diesel and doing injectors.

Honestly, I've driven, pulled, and plowed in a few different trucks. Gas and diesel.

The newest is a one ton dually with a 6.2 vortech, AWESOME, sounds good and pulls like nothing is there. It has 4.10s  Wink 

my favorite of them all is the c4500 kodiak, they made a crew cab 4x4, if you can find it they're are the coolest thing ever! And you can get one with a ramp body so who needs a trailer!  Razz If I was serious...SERIOUS about towing I'd get one, I know you have driven them at work. Tell me that turning radius isn't out of this world for a mammoth truck! They pull good, plow great, and have the right combo of Dmax and Allison. Whats bad about it!?

Ferd? 03 is the cutoff, I think that was the last year of the 7.3 PSD. I wouldn't touch the 6.0/6.4 Yeah some people have good lick with them, but once they start getting hammered on all of the issues they can have seem to popup. Even the so called "bulletproofed" powerstrokes blow up.

BUT if you got an old 7.3 truck with a leaf spring front end, well now you're talking! Those 99-02/03 trucks were good looking with chinzo interiors. But man the OBS 7.3PSD trucks were the nuts! They fear nothing and keep freakin going! Only issue with those you'll really deal with is a rotten oil pan. Pull great, plow amazing, and sound the best.

If you really wanted to pull though? Were is your Cummins at bro! Seriously, there is a reason why you always see them hauling cattle in the midwest and stuff.

Just my $0.02

Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 am

06-07 6.0 fords are fine, they have thousands out there in firetrucks and they take a pounding. Maintainace is the key. 6.4, is a fuel hog. Buddy traded his 6.4 in with 18,000 miles and got the gas version.
Cummings is probably the best diesel. Period. To bad that dodge trucks are such shit. My neighbor has 2 of them, all done up. man when he fires those up, rattles the windows in my house.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

And Al, that was 2wd

That was point. See how much diesel trucks go for with well over 100k on em?  Shocked
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Was there a presidential decree that this is now a truck forum... Surprised 

Thats what facebook is for...oh wait...
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:00 pm

sdstick wrote:
Was there a presidential decree that this is now a truck forum... Surprised 

Thats what facebook is for...oh wait...

Maybe you should bring it up with one of the forum moderators.   king

Razz
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Presidential Decree > Forum moderator

(No matter what you've heard or witnessed elsewhere.... Razz )

Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 4:18 pm

My buddy has an 07 sierra classic duramax. I'm not a diesel guy but if I had to get one that would be it.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 7:05 pm

No Moa wrote:
06-07 6.0 fords are fine, they have thousands out there in firetrucks and they take a pounding. Maintainace is the key. 6.4, is a fuel hog. Buddy traded his 6.4 in with 18,000 miles and got the gas version.
Cummings is probably the best diesel. Period. To bad that dodge trucks are such shit. My neighbor has 2 of them, all done up. man when he fires those up, rattles the windows in my house.

Ford gas engine? Eh, I'd rather pony up the 6.4 fuel bill! The only problem with maintenance being key on the 06-07 is that now it's 2014 basically. So who knows what Redneck Rodney did for maintenance and upkeep while he owned it from 06-now. If you get a good history then it would be a safe bet. The 6.0 can have a buttload of power. I've seen it  cyclops 

Doesn't that make sense right? Best engine in the Ball joint special worst truck on the market.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 pm

I dunno, Steve. All I did was mention a slut and the talk turned to diesel stuff... Wink
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:36 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
So... The great debate... I am thinking about selling the slut (00 GMC ECSB 4X4 2500HD) and getting myself a nice diesel truck.

Well, you talked about getting a diesel truck. Wasn't just about the slut.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 am

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 9:10 am

Always glad to point out your flaws. Smile
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Very Happy

Easy pickins. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...    Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...  Empty

Back to top Go down

Talk me out of (or into) my next big smokey mistake...
Page 1 of 1