BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Car smells like it's running super rich.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

Car smells like it's running super rich.  Empty
PostSubject: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:12 pm

I get crap gas mileage (lifetime average is about 12mpg)... it smells pretty rich
what should I look at?
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Prices for an electric car...
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Seriously tho. Common themes are coolant temp sensor, clogged air filter, dirty tb, clogged cats, bad o2 sensors. There's more but these seem to be the #1's. How's the spark? When was the last tune up? Any modifications?

Last edited by MASShole9C1 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Intake manifold gasket leak?
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Seriously tho. Common themes are coolant temp sensor, clicked air filter, dirty tb, clogged cats, bad o2 sensors. There's more but these seem to be the #1's. How's the spark? When was the last tune up? Any modifications?

it's got a new opti and plugs.

Not sure about cats, O2 sensors or coolant temp sensors.
I'll clean the TB and the MAF this weekend. I think I could do with a new air filter.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

If your cats are clogged or if your o2's look dirty it COULD be caused by a leaking intake. I just went through this entire thing with the gold Cadillac, chased it for months. Ended up being an o2 gone bad, but caused by an intake leak. Did the o2 first, was good for a week then right back to shit, ended up doing opti, Cleaned mad, plugs, wires, fuel rails and injectors, finally did the intake, was still running like crap.... Check the SAME o2 and it was BLACK. swapped it AGAIN and it ran pissa! Intake fouled the first o2 I replaced.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 pm

what are you doing to the intake?
nevermind, I see what you posted above.
how hard is the intake manifold gasket to do and how do you test for it?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 am

Lt-1 intake is probably the easiest v8 intake gasket you can possibly do.

Drain coolant, remove all the hoses and wires from the intake
Undo the bolts like you would on a gen 1 engine.
Remove the egr breather tube
Lift it up and forward from under the wire harness
Place a rag in the valley and Scrap the old front and rear seals with a razor, remove metal side gaskets
Apply new side gaskets they click into place, REMOVE RAG (sounds stupid but I've left them in there *facepalm*)
throw out the front and rear seals and use RTV silicone. One bead in front and one in back.
Place intake back on and torque bolts in sequence.
Connect all the crap back up,
Top off coolant.
DONE
maybe like 45 min to an hour if you are alone and no one is bugging the shit out of you while you try and work.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 12:51 pm

how do you determine if it's leaking?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Lt-1 intake is probably the easiest v8 intake gasket you can possibly do.

Drain coolant, remove all the hoses and wires from the intake
Undo the bolts like you would on a gen 1 engine.
Remove the egr breather tube
Lift it up and forward from under the wire harness
Place a rag in the valley and Scrap the old front and rear seals with a razor, remove metal side gaskets
Apply new side gaskets they click into place, REMOVE RAG (sounds stupid but I've left them in there *facepalm*)
throw out the front and rear seals and use RTV silicone. One bead in front and one in back.
Place intake back on and torque bolts in sequence.
Connect all the crap back up,
Top off coolant.
DONE
maybe like 45 min to an hour if you are alone and no one is bugging the shit out of you while you try and work.

I will add to this. Removal of the throttle body, and fuel rails will make it so much easier to get at the intake manifold bolts. There is no need to drain the cooling system completely down. The only part of the cooling system you will be touching is the steam line coming from the rear of the passenger side lifter valley area. Disconnect the elbow that goes into the t/b. If you want to do a t/b bypass, now is the time. Just throw the elbow coolant elbow away. You will use the hose from the other side of the t/b to connect back to the steam pipe. This will bypass the t/b and has shown 5-7 real world hp gain over stock.

On the RTV, I would get "Right Stuff" RTV. Once you have the intake manifold ready to reinstall, use two wooden dowels or pencils kitty corner from one another in one forward intake bolt hole on one head, and one in the rear of the other. This will help guide the intake down strait. Once you have it on, torque in three sequences, 15ft-lbs, 25ft-lbs, and 35ft-lbs. and then let it sit for about an hour.
Retorque one final time at 35ft-lbs.
Once all back together, it would not hurt to let it sit overnight to allow the RTV to fully cure before you drive it. I always do. Wink
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:09 pm

but is there any way to check to see if it's that first before I start tearing into it?
Like, spraying starter fluid around the intake?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm

chapel wrote:
but is there any way to check to see if it's that first before I start tearing into it?
Like, spraying starter fluid around the intake?
You need to scan it. See what your 02s are reading. Remember. Your MAF is your first reading. Your 02s are the last. Your MAF tells the PCM how much air is coming in so the PCM can deliver the correct amount of fuel, your o2s tell the PCM if everything was done correctly, and what needs adjustment. Check spark, check coolant temp sensor, exhaust manifolds (leak),

I spray carb cleaner or even brake cleaner along the line were the intake and head meet. If it is leaking, you will see it. Fo that matter, you could use a spray bottle of water.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Well, I'll start this weekend by cleaning the MAF and throttle body out
I still need to remove the secondary air pump too
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Exhaust almost smells a bit coolanty
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeaky iiiiiiiiiinnnnntaaaaaaakkkkkkeeeeee!
Lol

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Damnit
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm

chapel wrote:
Damnit

They're really not that bad. I did them in my car. Only took 2 hours maybe?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:58 pm

And that's with an L05 engine with hard metal gas lines, a distributor that's stuffed under a 6" cowl, and alot of other nonsense.
Lt1 you have 2 quick disconnect gas lines, no messing with distributor or wires or timing, no cramped room. And not a ton of stuff to move.
I gotta do mine in the black caddy. This time I think I'm gonna do a pictorial....
I like the idea everyone had about the tutorials. Since I have a lot of work to do on the lt1 AND l99 and possibly on an L03 I might start documenting and typing out everything step by step. Maybe we can start a tutorial section specifically for posting step by step instructions with notes.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Thats a great idea.
Hard part is remembering to take the pics. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Do it as a team. One shoots, the other works.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Oh....the Tom Sawyer principal.. Rolling Eyes Wink
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 10:14 pm

sdstick wrote:
Oh....the Tom Sawyer principal.. Rolling Eyes Wink

Works great for me. It's what I did when I worked for Bentley Publishers working on the BMW E30 service manual.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car smells like it's running super rich.    Car smells like it's running super rich.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Car smells like it's running super rich.
Page 1 of 1