BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..

Go down 
+10
V8Killer
silverfox103
mean ss
bammax
Pooge
onehunglo
96Brougham
No Moa
Tomz9C1
GasTT
14 posters
AuthorMessage
GasTT

GasTT

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Empty
PostSubject: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:12 am

My uncle has a 1987 Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe. He also has an '88 Mustang convertible. He is disabled and cannot work on cars anymore. The Monte needs some work and the mustang is mint so he wants to keep the mustang and get rid of the SS. He would like to see it in my possession because he knows I will take care of it and bring it back to it's glory. He has put a lot of money and new parts into the car since he bought it about a year ago.

What are these cars worth? Should I bother getting it? It needs rust repair in the door jambs and it needs all weather seals they are dry rotted. The interior is also faded and needs to be fixed up. The car runs and drives excellent but I think it needs valve seals because it smokes at start-up but quickly goes away.

Here's a few pics. I would like some honest opinions of what you guys think of the car and what it's worth. I've seen some in real good condition go for $20,000+. Obviously this one is not in that price range.

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2161l

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2162w

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2163t

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2165

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2178c

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2168c

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2171d

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2170t

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2180

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Dscf2179

Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 am

My ElCamino had the G80, F41 suspension 305 4bbl cept a/c I loved it! Should have dropped a 350 in her when I had the chance. Sad
If the rust is not to bad, I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:25 am

Do it, I had one, they are a nice running smooth going car. And if it's cheap that's even better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 am

Well.. I love Monte's, hate the. Aero Coupes.. t-tops probably leak. Id give it a reallll good inspection for rust before I made a decision..
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:50 am

Like said, if the price is right snag it! Be a good summer cruiser with a lot of potential, especially in your hands. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 am

Tough to say a price without seeing better pics of the rust, but if it is easily manageable and not rotted, the cars runs great, and looks that good from 10 feet, it is probably about a $5000 car. The Monte SS is a good looking car and I only see their value in good condition going up.

I would think from what I can see in the pics that a good cleaning, some (presumably) minor rust repair, valve seals, and a set of door and T-top seals will make this a pretty darn nice driver. I can't imagine all that would cost you $1000 after purchase price, that is assuming you can do all this work yourself, which you can from what I have sen you doing on those little Gm cars you always seem to have.

Doug
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 am

5k is a little steep IMHO, I paid 2600 for mine, 110k miles. No leaks, needed front end work bad. But it was fun, that little 305 wasn't a powerhouse but it was admiralble.

What's he selling it for $ wise if u don't mind?
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:18 am

Some things he replaced within the last year.

Battery
Starter
Battery Cables
Plugs
Cap
Rotor
Wires
Alternator
Water pump
Thermostat
Gas tank and straps
Fuel filter fuel pump
Tires Goodyear eagles GTII less than 1000 miles
Pads rotors wheel cylinders
Trans filter fluid and gasket
Drivers side floor pan replaced
Air cleaner
Catalytic converter
Outer tie rods
Aftermarket dashboard cover and original wheels included

I know there is more I cannot remember right now. T-tops do not leak either.

With that said, he is asking $5,000. He is willing to work with me on a payment plan of $0 down and pay at my own pace. He also said if I take the car and I decide it is too much work I can give it back anytime and he will compensate me for any work I do.

Me and Kayla have been talking about getting a classic convertible for us to cruise around in and I think this is just as good. I took her for a ride in my friends 442 that I had posted and she LOVED the T-tops.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 am

An aero coupe with t-tops will generally run around 4-5k in decent shape which is what your describing. If it needs body and engine work then it'll go for closer to 4k. Just remember that those tops are heavy and they take up alot of space when in the backseat or trunk. Everyone I knew that had t-tops hated them for that, and a few other reasons.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:13 pm

put a big block in it affraid

https://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/meanss/Monte%20SS/?action=view&current=454ss.flv

https://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/meanss/Monte%20SS/?start=all
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:03 pm

So what I think is that 5k is reasonable given there was only 6252 produced and all the recent work completed. It really does not need much and it could be driven the way it is and still be respectable. I have driven it on several occasions and it is fun to drive and turns a lot of heads. I have to try and find a job now so I can get yet another car (have 4 already) and be able to store it.

I just noticed me and Paul have our threads starting with "quite possibly" lol.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:30 pm

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Tim

Looks like a pretty decent car and sounds like your uncle took good care of it mechanically. As fussy as you are, it wouldn't take you long to clean that interior up. Valve seals not that big of a job.

As you know, being for the northeast, rust and rot are the big problems. Jack it up and get under it with an ice pick and poke around. Being a car guy, you know where to look. I would then look topside very good also. Peel the carpet back and look at the floors and trunk and pillars. Rust and rot are not cheap to repair, sometimes fatal. It is 23 years old.

Seeing how he is financing it without a payment schedule, it would be hard to negotiate the price. I have no idea what they sell for; but if you see some major repairs let him know, so maybe he will adjust the price. Don't be afraid to point out things to him, even though he is your uncle.

Tim, whatever happened to that friend of yours who was in the car accident in FL. I haven't seen him on since he posted one time after the accident.

Tom
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I have not talked to him since right after the accident, not sure what's going on with him.

My uncle already had the worst rust repaired. He had the fuel tank removed and replaced ect.. he also had the drivers floor replaced. I will check the passenger side and see whats up with that but I think it is fine.

If I had $5000 cash I probably wouldn't be buying this car. But, given the circumstances, it is a great opportunity to own a rare classic muscle car that I think I am going to jump on. Surprising to me, Kayla actually agrees that I should take the opportunity. SWEET. Need to get rid of my Regal to make some room in the yard and also need to get a job to pay for repairs and storage come winter. (Kayla's suggestions).

I appreciate everyone's advice. Keep it coming, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 4:59 pm

GasTT wrote:

If I had $5000 cash I probably wouldn't be buying this car. But, given the circumstances, it is a great opportunity to own a rare classic muscle car that I think I am going to jump on. Surprising to me, Kayla actually agrees that I should take the opportunity.

So u don't have 5k but ur going to buy it? I'm guessing on the payment plan? And what rare classic muscle car??? Lol couldn't help myself.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 pm

No Moa wrote:
GasTT wrote:

If I had $5000 cash I probably wouldn't be buying this car. But, given the circumstances, it is a great opportunity to own a rare classic muscle car that I think I am going to jump on. Surprising to me, Kayla actually agrees that I should take the opportunity.

So u don't have 5k but ur going to buy it? I'm guessing on the payment plan? And what rare classic muscle car??? Lol couldn't help myself.

What are you trying to say? Is this car not rare? Is it not a muscle car? .... it's only an '87 but it will be an antique in 2 years time.

Yes that is correct I do not have 5k and I am going to buy it on a payment plan. My uncle would rather see his nephew give the car the care and respect it deserves and get his money slowly than sell it outright to some schmuck who is going to destroy it and never see the car again.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 5:23 pm

it could have been a muscle car if GM put a turbo on that pos 305

if they already did floor work you should put the car on a lift and really check it out good
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 5:32 pm

LOL Ok it's not super fast but it looks cool! Cool Hey if I want to go fast(er) I will drive my Caprice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 5:43 pm

As long as the over all condition is good, have the original wheels, and no rust. It would be worth $4500. If power you crave, drop in a 87+truck 350, and a grand national rear end with posi and 3.42s. You will move out much better, but not take away from the stock look.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:13 pm

mean ss wrote:

Wow, how'd I know you would suggest that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:14 pm

how to put LT1 in a monte
http://home.comcast.net/~spudmanmike/scrapbook.pdf
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 pm

V8Killer wrote:
mean ss wrote:

Wow, how'd I know you would suggest that. Laughing

because you know what they need too Cool
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:23 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
As long as the over all condition is good, have the original wheels, and no rust. It would be worth $4500. If power you crave, drop in a 87+truck 350, and a grand national rear end with posi and 3.42s. You will move out much better, but not take away from the stock look.
Yup, the stock 7.5 rear diffs in the Monte's SUCK BAD! You can break em pretty easy with a 305.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:29 pm

This car has 3.73 posi from the factory. I will probably leave the stock motor in it. Maybe put on some headers, intake, carb, ignition stuff and get rid of the emissions crap and leave it at that. It does come with the original wheels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:34 pm

GasTT wrote:
carb
What is a carb?............Oh wait, I remember. I seen one of those in a history book. Razz
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 pm

LOL tell me about it... It's got one of those electronic Rochester carbs..
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:48 pm

theirs more emission crap on those motors then what's on are B body's
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I know what's involved. There are a million holes in the exhaust manifolds and hoses and tubes all over the place. It will be challenging.
Back to top Go down
SScarlett_Caprice

SScarlett_Caprice

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm

my old cadillac has 307 with probably the same electronic rochester as the 305. get a factory service manual before you start to figure out the vaccum lines, it looks like a bowl of spaghetti with a carb in it. as long as you have the diagram, following the lines wont be tough.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Same setup I got. You saw how it looked last weekend. Only difference is the way the starter, alternator, and a/c are mounted. If you need any guidence then feel free to swing by and use mine as a reference point. I also have a chiltons that shows the wiring diagrams for the ccc system
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:09 pm

If it was me I'd use the LT1/4L60E/harness from your Caprice and just sell what's left. Maybe even get enought to get another axle.
5 cars is too many.

Dibs on the roller!

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Cool car, the Aero Coupe is rare. Seems like over the past five years I've been seeing less and less Monte SS's. Back in HS they were still all over the place, a few of my friends had them.

I'd say it's worth about 4-4.5K as it sits kinda like how Billy said, if the rust isn't too bad. Check the door bottoms if they haven't been done yet...etc. And the rear frame rails!
I've seen a few of the notchbacks lately on CL for around 8-10 g's with super low original miles, and original paint with the original stripe kits (i'd get the stripe kit if you ever repaint it, it really makes the car)

Make sure you lock the T-tops before you drive the car on the highway! Funny story about it... Laughing
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 pm

boojum wrote:
If it was me I'd use the LT1/4L60E/harness from your Caprice and just sell what's left. Maybe even get enought to get another axle.
5 cars is too many.

Dibs on the roller!

No way. There is never too many.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

To each his own for all the "transelvania judges" here. I bought my '87 monte carlo ss areo coupe in '07 at a car show. The guy wanted $4900. I gave him $4300 cash and it was mine. About $3k later in "this and that stuff", and I'm looking at dropping in a 383 from summit and putting in a 700r4 built for stoplight breakaways, tho the 2004r can be built to stand steep horses. I have the common G80 w/3.73's. And it has a dealer option power moon roof that will be taken out and redon/reenforced when I get it painted again. The car has a good story and thats what got my wallet. It has only 83k on the clock now and a new england car with no rot. You'll get alot of looks comments and guys telling you to raise it on 24's...NO! I had that everytime I went to the parts store in Alabama. It is reminder of the good NASCAR days when it wasnt running those toyotas. Earnhardt would have never stood for that b/s. Anyway, its a start, and you will learn ALOT while maintaining and bringing its shine back! GOOD LUCK!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..   Quite possibly getting another black Chevy.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Quite possibly getting another black Chevy..
Page 1 of 1