BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Screw Massachusetts (rant)

Go down 
+8
21/4tonsoffun
silverfox103
bammax
Fishah
Matt Trakker
Tomz9C1
toomanytoyz
Cadet57
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Screw Massachusetts (rant) Empty
PostSubject: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:31 pm

So my brother found a low mile sedan in Hudson, NH. I emailed the seller and we've been going back and forth about the car. My inital idea was to get a NH temp tag to throw on the car to get it home so we dont need to register it yet and get plates and crap. Well, the state of MA does not recognize the NH temp tags and thus NH will not issue them to us. So now we either need to trailer it home or get plates and register it, only to have it sit for 6 months til my brother gets his license. Such bullshit... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Just do what everybody else does and throw plates from another car on it to drive it home. If you get pulled over, the cop would probably let you go if you show him the bill of sale.

But yeah, Massachusetts sucks huge donkey dink.

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:48 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Just do what everybody else does and throw plates from another car on it to drive it home. If you get pulled over, the cop would probably let you go if you show him the bill of sale.

But yeah, Massachusetts sucks huge donkey dink.

Maybe i'll use the ones on the wagon. it IS a white caprice, just one has more seats Laughing

It's just stupid that they dont recognize the temp plates. I'll literally be using the thing for two hours to get the car home where it's gonna sit til my brother gets his license in the fall. It's not like im some low life who'll drive on the plates for months....
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 11:10 pm

That blows! So what states do they recognize? Inner state only?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 11:14 pm

Tomz9C1 wrote:
That blows! So what states do they recognize? Inner state only?

It didn't go into detail, but it specifically excluded MA so I have a feeling any other state with common sense (read: most of them) would recognize it. What really gets me is the fact that my options in the eyes of MA are register and insure it (+/- $400 for plates, tax, title and reg) or trailer it. When I could just as easily pay a $10 temp fee and drive the car home with my current auto insurance and all would be fine. But no....
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 am

I had heard they weren't honored down here, but wasn't totally sure of it. I see cars here with them a lot, regardless.

I always just toss a plate on anyway. Just don't look like an overcautious nutbag, nor a dumbass doing 70 in a 50, wear your seatbelt, they'll probably leave you alone. If you do get pulled over, show them the bill of sale.

In MA, you can drive your "new" car for like a week on your old registration with your plates before you swap it. Thing is, it's for only when you trade in your current car, the grace period is because your "new" car is your "only" car now. But, I just use that as my excuse in case I ever get pulled over, supposedly you cannot do this if you're buying a second car and still have possession of the first.

MA does suck, but it's not the land, the geography, or the landmarks. It's a lot of the people here, mostly the idiots in Cambridge and other affluent areas who drive a Toyota Prius and still have a Deval Patrick sticker on their trunklid (on the paint instead of the glass, of course, because people with brains do that), in spite of the fact no one with common sense would have ever voted for him in the first place.

FWIW a lot of the bad drivers down here are from NH, coming down 93 through Andover failing to use turn signals and passing people in the right lane or even the breakdown lane..lol
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 1:21 am

Like Matt said, if you buy a car, Mass will allow you to use your old plates on that new car for a week.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 1:50 am

You can put old plates on it for 7 days. The rule is that the registration that goes with the plates must also be present in the car. That means when you grab plates off of the parked car also remember to grab the registration and insurance card and throw them in the glovebox of the "new" car. If after 7 days you get stopped riding on the plates then your shit outta luck.

I know the law well since I've used it quite a few times. I always buy my cars out of state in RI or NH. I can also tell you the law about the fine that you pay if you buy a car and don't title/register it within 7 days Wink

My Cappy sat for a few months before I titled it so I got hit with the monster fine of like $60 Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:57 am

What those guys said. You can take plates and reg from one car and run them on another for 7 days. Just have reg to plates and paperwork from purchased car ready to show police if you get stopped.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Cadet57

Were you told that Mass. does not recognize the temporary plates by someone at the Department of Motor Vehicles in NH, rather than second hand info? What you are saying, doesn't sound correct. In the last 9 years I have bought 3 cars and they all came from Massachusetts. I got temporary plates in NH, at the DMV and drove the car from MA to NH no problems. Never did they say anything about they wouldn't sell you a temporary plate because MA didn't recognize it.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:07 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Hi Cadet57

Were you told that Mass. does not recognize the temporary plates by someone at the Department of Motor Vehicles in NH, rather than second hand info? What you are saying, doesn't sound correct. In the last 9 years I have bought 3 cars and they all came from Massachusetts. I got temporary plates in NH, at the DMV and drove the car from MA to NH no problems. Never did they say anything about they wouldn't sell you a temporary plate because MA didn't recognize it.

Tom

Its what the NH rmv website said. It also said that they will not issue them to MA residents.

impalakid wrote:
What those guys said. You can take plates and reg from one car and run them on another for 7 days. Just have reg to plates and paperwork from purchased car ready to show police if you get stopped.

bammax wrote:
You can put old plates on it for 7 days. The rule is that the registration that goes with the plates must also be present in the car. That means when you grab plates off of the parked car also remember to grab the registration and insurance card and throw them in the glovebox of the "new" car. If after 7 days you get stopped riding on the plates then your shit outta luck.

fishah wrote:
Like Matt said, if you buy a car, Mass will allow you to use your old plates on that new car for a week.

I know about the 7 day rule as thats how I got my Caprice home. But there aren't any new plates to put on to the car. We were trying to avoid having to spend $400 on new plates by getting the temp one. We arent getting plates on the car until my brother gets his license in the fall/ winter.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:30 am

Anyone in your family have AAA plus membership? Or make it part of the deal, that the current owner be responsible to get it to your house.

Last edited by silverfox103 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Anyone in your family have AAA plus membership?

Myself, my mother, and my father.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 am

Bingo. Stick a plate on it, and tell AAA the car is overheating and needs to be towed home. They don't ask for registration. It worked once for me.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Bingo. Stick a plate on it, and tell AAA the car is overheating and needs to be towed home. They don't ask for registration. It worked once for me.

It doesn't have plates thou... plus AAA here asks. At least every time ive had a car towed. Including a month ago.
Back to top Go down
21/4tonsoffun

21/4tonsoffun

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 9:53 am

Just an FYI for anyone using the 7 day rule. Six years ago I had a sour cop pull me over when I bought my Monte. He informed me that you need a bill of sale for the previous car to use the 7 day rule. He towed the car but i beat it in court on an ignorance plea. It was probably just a case of a guy having a bad day and taking it out on the kid in the rusty Monte.

Almost forgot... Deval brought back Taxachusetts and these fruitcakes will keep him in power and spend MILLIONS trying to do so
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm

That "AAA won't tow it" is complete BS. I've used them to pull unregistered cars out of fields more than once. Wink And just last week, my stepfather bought a totalled 97 GTP for the drivetrain for his fiero, the WHOLE PASSENGER SIDE was caved in to the console, and he called AAA and said "car won't start" and they towed it home. Wink

Slip the dude a twenny and you're all set. Wink

But you are making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Take the plates and reg out of your wagon for a couple hours, slap them on the new car, and just drive the damn thing home. Smile

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 4:11 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
But you are making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Take the plates and reg out of your wagon for a couple hours, slap them on the new car, and just drive the damn thing home. Smile

Lol, I'm either going to do that, or ask the seller if he'll get me a temp plate. I've seen them all the time here in MA.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Lol, I'm either going to do that, or ask the seller if he'll get me a temp plate. I've seen them all the time here in MA.

Dude... Don't make me smack you. :-P

lol

You, as a MA resident, cannot get NH temp plates. They are for NH residents only. The only way he could "help" you get a NH temp tag would be to sell the car to someone else who lived in NH, have them get the temp tags, drive to your house, and then have them sell it to you. No real "help" there. And neither Ma nor NH have a transport plate. So you are SOL in that respect.

So like I (and everybody else in this thread) said, just drive it on your plates. Wink It's LEGAL and you are covered. Just DO IT! Very Happy

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
druzdcm

druzdcm

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Glad I am not a resident or adhear to these shenanigans Wink
Back to top Go down
http://druzcherrybomb.shutterfly.com
JRS9C1

JRS9C1

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Uhhhhh......go Maine!
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:30 pm

It's not as complicated as you make it out to be. Just grab any current plates and registration card that you happen to have and throw them on the new car. End of story.

It doesn't matter what they come off of as long as they're current and are the same class (no putting motorcycle plates on a camper or anything Wink )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 pm

TAKE PLATES AND REGISTRATION OUT OF WAGON. PLACE ON NEW CAR AND DRIVE HOME.

As long as the title or bill of sale is filled out correctly then you are legal and insured.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
TAKE PLATES AND REGISTRATION OUT OF WAGON. PLACE ON NEW CAR AND DRIVE HOME.

As long as the title or bill of sale is filled out correctly then you are legal and insured.

ALLRIGHT Laughing. But no seriously, I just wasnt sure if I could do that if the plates werent actually being transferred to the new car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:53 pm

I grew up in Foxborough Ma. And I have purchased many a car that way. I have even been pulled over for having the wrong plates on my car, but once they saw the correct paperwork they reminded me how many days I had to register or park it, and I was on my way.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 7:54 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
I grew up in Foxborough Ma. And I have purchased many a car that way. I have even been pulled over for having the wrong plates on my car, but once they saw the correct paperwork they reminded me how many days I had to register or park it, and I was on my way.

Coo coo. If I get stopped, and they ask, I'll just say the big caprice rotted out so this is the replacement Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

Coo coo. If I get stopped, and they ask, I'll just say the big caprice rotted out so this is the replacement Laughing

BINGO! We have a winna! cheers
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

BINGO! We have a winna! cheers

Next step is making sure the one we want to buy isnt a turd.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 11:13 pm

This is still going on? To reiterate, just take A plate that you have that's currently in effect, and slap it on the car to drive it home! Laughing

I'm still pretty sure the actual written state law about the 7 day rule is mainly for people who no longer "have possession" of the car the plates came off of, but I'll double check. Either way, I doubt anyone would really give you crap about it.

The funniest thing I ever heard about the AAA free tows was a family moving from Maine to RI. A kid I know did ride alongs with his friend who drove a wrecker for AAA tows, and got a call for someone broken down on 95. They pull up to a battered 80s beach wagon of some sort, packed from floor to ceiling with stuff, not even running. The people piled all their crap inside, got it flatbedded as far as they could on one tow, then switched to the next "free tow" when the first ran out and the car was dropped on the side of the road. That's how they were moving all their junk to Rhode Island... Laughing

BTW...my random tangent about what sucks in Mass. was typed while somewhat buzzed after coming home from drinking with friends...hahaha
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 pm

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg2.htm

Quote :
Is there a Grace Period for Transferring a Registration?
If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

* You must be at least 18 years old.
* The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
* You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
* You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
* The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.

Please note, there is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.

For more information about the Seven-Day Registration Transfer Law(MGL c.90, Sec. 2), refer to our FAQs About the Seven-Day Transfer Law.

More info:
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21426.pdf

It is pretty stupid if you ask me though, obviously there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to toss your plates on the car for a reasonable amount of time. I still do it anyway!
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Dude, if you get pulled tell the cop unfortunately your wagon was dumped off a 500 ft cliff. How the hell is he supposed to know the truth??? How is he supposed to know you really are not registering the car in your name?? He's not. Stop being a poosay and go get the damn car already.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 pm

GasTT wrote:
Dude, if you get pulled tell the cop unfortunately your wagon was dumped off a 500 ft cliff. How the hell is he supposed to know the truth??? How is he supposed to know you really are not registering the car in your name?? He's not. Stop being a poosay and go get the damn car already.

LOL. I am. Well, as soon as the dude gets back to me...
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:25 pm

GasTT wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. How do they KNOW right then and there if you still have the car? What if it was stolen by monkeys and subsequently dragged into the woods by vines?

Screw Massachusetts (rant) Scar2r.th

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Well, this was all a waste. Kid hasnt bothered to return my calls. Screw it, not interested anymore.
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Aaaw that sucks! I'm just now catching up with this thread, for the future...I've been known to use AAA as a taxi service. Smile They'll do it.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:30 pm

haha my dad does that he knows some people at a towing service local to him that is AAA aproved and if hes had too much to drink he has them take him and his car home. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screw Massachusetts (rant)   Screw Massachusetts (rant) Empty

Back to top Go down

Screw Massachusetts (rant)
Page 1 of 1