BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Setting up a rear end EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Setting up a rear end EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Setting up a rear end EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Setting up a rear end EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Setting up a rear end EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Setting up a rear end

Go down 
+5
waynes91
toomanytoyz
GasTT
Fishah
bammax
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Setting up a rear end Empty
PostSubject: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Anyone here with the capabilitys to set up rear gears? I will soon have a set of 3.73s, and need help setting them up. I did this once to my old 351 powered race pinto. But that was 21 years ago.

I want to set them and forget them, not put them in and have problems.

Thank you in advance

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:22 pm

No one knows how to do this? Maybe I can find a video on youtube. scratch
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 pm

This is a pretty good article working on a 10-bolt from an 87 monte. Should be the same basic info for your rear.

gear install
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm

bammax wrote:
This is a pretty good article working on a 10-bolt from an 87 monte. Should be the same basic info for your rear.

gear install

Thanks man. cheers

But it looks like I will have to pay a pro to do it. I was hoping to find someone here who knows how to do it and pay them.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Read enough articles and you'll know how to do it too. Then just give it a try. What's the worst that could happen Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 4:29 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:

I want to set them and forget them.

Maybe you should give ol' Ron a call?

Setting up a rear end Ron_popeil
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 4:53 pm

I have helped with ALOT of rear end gear/posi installs as I worked in a speed shop for 4 years. The big thing is the shims. The dial indicator is a must. It's best to bring it to a shop to avoid any noises.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:40 pm

White93ltz wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

I want to set them and forget them.

Maybe you should give ol' Ron a call?

Setting up a rear end Ron_popeil
Oh god, He does say that. But at 3am. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm

GasTT wrote:
I have helped with ALOT of rear end gear/posi installs as I worked in a speed shop for 4 years. The big thing is the shims. The dial indicator is a must. It's best to bring it to a shop to avoid any noises.
How much would/should I expect to pay for this service?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:59 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
GasTT wrote:
How much would/should I expect to pay for this service?

Figure somewhere between $200 and $400 to set it up.

I use a place in Windham that I've had pretty good luck with. I'll probably be getting my 4.10's done there, too. Unless of course, my current mechanic/exhaust guy/inspection dude can do it. He's in Hampstead.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:40 pm

i take it we're talking about setting up a different type of rear end

Setting up a rear end Badplace3hm4olbl3oy3ej2
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 9:38 pm

LOL she seems a bit more excited than he is
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 3:57 pm

maybe he's been there and didnt like what he seen....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm

waynes91 wrote:
maybe he's been there and didnt like what he seen....
Maybe it is his bad place she plans to go. Suspect

Maybe I should move this to the cabaret section. scratch
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Of course they always make it look easy.
This step by step makes you want to do it
Who has the balls?????
http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm
Back to top Go down
ss1

ss1

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 9:17 pm

That girl Kelly is a mod over on ls1tech....she knows her stuff!

I pulled the rear end out of my Camaro last weekend and am going to put in some 3.73's in place of the noisy Strange 4.11's. I had all the parts and just about all the tools, but had to get a puller for the carrier bearings and a pinion depth gauge. I'll probably start tackling it this weekend, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Bill, it you want to borrow the tools, I'd be happy to lend them to you when I'm done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 pm

ss1 wrote:
That girl Kelly is a mod over on ls1tech....she knows her stuff!

I pulled the rear end out of my Camaro last weekend and am going to put in some 3.73's in place of the noisy Strange 4.11's. I had all the parts and just about all the tools, but had to get a puller for the carrier bearings and a pinion depth gauge. I'll probably start tackling it this weekend, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Bill, it you want to borrow the tools, I'd be happy to lend them to you when I'm done.
Thanks Chris
That would be great.
Back to top Go down
ss1

ss1

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 pm

I'd offer to help do it too, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for a noisy rear end! I prefer to use myself as the guinea pig, and this is the first one I'll be doing. Heck, it can't be any worse than the way Strange set it up!

I think the only thing you'd really need is a shop press for the pinion bearing and carrier bearings if you want to do those. I'll have the rest of the tools tomorrow.

The only other thing that comes to mind is buy two pinion bearings and hone one out to use as a setup bearing when doing the pinion depth.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 pm

I read you don't need a press for the pinion bearing. You just put it in the oven for a bit and drop it on while it's still toasty. Don't know how well it works but it's a pretty common trick lately.
Back to top Go down
ss1

ss1

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 am

The pinion bearing is ~.003" interference fit, so that trick may work! I've also seen somebody use a piece of 1-3/4" pipe and hammer it on. I didn't really like that method so I ended up buying a 12-ton press just to make sure the bearing is seated all the way.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 am

SooooOooOOOOOooOOOOOOooo.... Who's gonna help me do the 4.10's in my wagon then? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Anyone? How about help with installing a trans-go shift kit into a transmission?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 10:45 pm

is the tranny still in the car ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 11:13 pm

mean ss wrote:
Nope.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:01 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
mean ss wrote:
Nope.

then it's easy, I can help tue- fri if you need it
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:40 am

lmk know bill and mean ss.what day. ill be down to see you guys and ive never met mean ss. plus ill have some media and other parts for billymac. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 2:06 am

So who is the club guy for rear-end rebuild/upgrades? I might be looking in the next couple months for someone to do seals and bearings on an old 8.5"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:26 am

bammax wrote:
So who is the club guy for rear-end rebuild/upgrades? I might be looking in the next couple months for someone to do seals and bearings on an old 8.5"
Seals and bearings are easy. Pull cover, and brake drums or discs, remove bolt olding pin in carrier, pull pin, push axles inward to expose c-clip, pull c-clips, pull axles out, use seal puller to remove seals, use bearing puller to remove bearings, tap in new bearings, and seals, reinstall axles, reinstall c-clips and push axles outward to loc in place, reinstall pin and pin bolt, clean both gasket mating surfaces,wipe out any remaning fluid in diff. Spray mating surfaces with brake cleaner, and wipe, install fel-pro gasket and reinstall diff cover. Now if posi, squrt a full bottle of limited slip additive in it and then fill the rest of the way with gear oil til weeps out hole, and reinstall fill plug. Reinstall brakes and away you go.
Easy peasy lemon squeesy.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Except it also needs a new pinion seal. That one is the kicker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:01 am

bammax wrote:
Except it also needs a new pinion seal. That one is the kicker.
I have never done a pinion seal, but I would say that after everything is back together, you should be able to remove the drive shaft, and pinion yoke, and replace the seal. You would want the back wheels on ramps, and the parking brake set to keep the car from rolling while you take the nut off the pinion. And because of the shape of the pinion gear, I do not think you would have any fore and aft movement. You could leave the cover off to be on the safe side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setting up a rear end   Setting up a rear end Empty

Back to top Go down

Setting up a rear end
Page 1 of 1