BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 105 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am
Latest topics
» 2017 Kancamagus Ride
Yesterday at 11:13 am by silverfox103

» Buick rear seat wanted (again)
Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 pm by MASShole9C1

» Midnight tour of the Allagash Ice Caves July 3rd!
Sun May 14, 2017 2:01 pm by booth9C1SS

» Dust off / hang out / mod day at my house May 20th
Sun May 14, 2017 11:10 am by toomanytoyz

» Spindles
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm by MalibuSSwagon

» New Ride, New Forum!
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:08 am by boojum

» '95 DCM RMW
Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:02 pm by Bull

» Is it just me or does impalassforum suck?
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:48 am by toomanytoyz

» 94 RMS 60k miles and 94 FWB with 76k for sale
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm by CrashMaster

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bladerunner

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm

With all the snow we have been running our Tahoe in 4WD quite a bit. The 4WD service light came on today (wife called me, so I have yet to run for any codes or even look at the problem). The dash still indicates truck is in 4WD Auto, so I would assume the selector switch on the dash is good. From here, what is the best way to determine if the problem is the encoder motor or transfer case control module?
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

avatar

Posts : 1691
Join date : 2009-03-12
Age : 46
Location : Southern, NH

PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:27 pm

bladerunner wrote:
With all the snow we have been running our Tahoe in 4WD quite a bit. The 4WD service light came on today (wife called me, so I have yet to run for any codes or even look at the problem).  The dash still indicates truck is in 4WD Auto, so I would assume the selector switch on the dash is good. From here, what is the best way to determine if the problem is the encoder motor or transfer case control module?

You need to scan the TCCM with a Tech-2.

If the light came on there will be codes.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 pm

V8Killer wrote:
bladerunner wrote:
With all the snow we have been running our Tahoe in 4WD quite a bit. The 4WD service light came on today (wife called me, so I have yet to run for any codes or even look at the problem).  The dash still indicates truck is in 4WD Auto, so I would assume the selector switch on the dash is good. From here, what is the best way to determine if the problem is the encoder motor or transfer case control module?

You need to scan the TCCM with a Tech-2.

If the light came on there will be codes.

I was afraid of that. I only have a reader for OBD. How about the encoder motor sensor as the possible issue? I have read that if you have the 4WD service light with C0327 code it might be worth replacing the sensor (part #88962315) before just going with the entire motor.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

avatar

Posts : 1691
Join date : 2009-03-12
Age : 46
Location : Southern, NH

PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 pm

bladerunner wrote:
V8Killer wrote:
bladerunner wrote:
With all the snow we have been running our Tahoe in 4WD quite a bit. The 4WD service light came on today (wife called me, so I have yet to run for any codes or even look at the problem).  The dash still indicates truck is in 4WD Auto, so I would assume the selector switch on the dash is good. From here, what is the best way to determine if the problem is the encoder motor or transfer case control module?

You need to scan the TCCM with a Tech-2.

If the light came on there will be codes.

I was afraid of that. I only have a reader for OBD. How about the encoder motor sensor as the possible issue? I have read that if you have the 4WD service light with C0327 code it might be worth replacing the sensor (part #88962315) before just going with the entire motor.

If it does have a C0327, just put an encoder mtr in it.

GM came up with with replacing just the sensor as a half-ass repair bulletin to save money. Works about 25% of the time  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will see what codes it has...

Aftermarket encoder motor is $250. AC Delco is $370. I usually go with OEM if I can, but $$$ is tight. Worth it?
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

avatar

Posts : 1691
Join date : 2009-03-12
Age : 46
Location : Southern, NH

PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 am

bladerunner wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I will see what codes it has...

Aftermarket encoder motor is $250. AC Delco is $370. I usually go with OEM if I can, but $$$ is tight. Worth it?
 
I've had good luck with the aftermarket ones.  Smile 
 
Installation note:  DO NOT PLUG THE ENCODER MOTOR IN WITHOUT IT BEING BOLTED TO THE T-CASE!! IT WILL RUIN IT INSTANTLY!
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:13 am

V8Killer wrote:
bladerunner wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I will see what codes it has...

Aftermarket encoder motor is $250. AC Delco is $370. I usually go with OEM if I can, but $$$ is tight. Worth it?
 
I've had good luck with the aftermarket ones.  Smile 
 
Installation note:  DO NOT PLUG THE ENCODER MOTOR IN WITHOUT IT BEING BOLTED TO THE T-CASE!! IT WILL RUIN IT INSTANTLY!

Local Chevy dealer is doing remanufactured encoder motors for $180. Parts guy says they have been having good luck with them so much that he recommended it over a new one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light   

Back to top Go down
 
2004 Tahoe 4WD Service Light
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» When the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on.....
» My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.
» Optispark service video
» Pass Key Light?
» for sale 2004 grand prix comp g gtp 3800 series 2 supercharged

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Modifications / Performance-
Jump to: