BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Install easy access door for fuel pump

Go down 
+4
MASShole9C1
Matt Trakker
1984twodoor
silverfox103
8 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103

silverfox103

Install easy access door for fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I posted this over at the wagon site. Just in case someone didn't see it, here goes:

Having owned these style wagons and Caprices for 17 years, like alot of us, I have had to drop the gas tanks to replace the fuel pump. Never fails, the tank is usually closer to full than empty and they usually don't fail in your driveway. They will leave you stranded. Joel, is correct, they are dependable and last a long time; but they fail, it's just a matter of time. They two that I replaced one lasted 164K and the other 215K. One stranded me 150 miles from home late at night.

With the rash of fuel pump failures that we have seen, Krzdimond(Robert), Roo and just in the last couple of days COL, I knew the writing was on the wall with my RMW with 157K. If I were Roo's age (and I wish I was), or even Robert's, I wouldn't mind changing the pump. But I'm not and the days of me changing another fuel pump are over, the COL will back me on that I'm sure.

I know Impala guys have cut trap doors to access the fuel pump; but I haven't seen anyone do it to a wagon. I had the time. I also had an extra sending unit, as the tubing from the sending unit has various offset bends. I got out the extra sending unit and got an idea where to cut. VERY IMPORTANT: DROP THE FUEL TANK DOWN AN INCH, FOR SAFETY. I used a dremel with a small cutting wheel. Obviously, you need to pull out the 3rd seat and peel back the rug. I laid the sending where I thought it would go. I then cut a 1" x 1" hole to see where I was.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3147_zpsb7b55c60

Bingo, I hit it perfectly, although it is obvious, by the raised area that the sending unit should be there. I then lined up the sending unit on top of the floor to get an idea on the path that it follows. I marked the path on the floor and started cutting.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3149_zps6fe25d3c
I took the piece that I cut out and traced it to make a copy. I then added a 1/2 inch all the way around and made a cardboard pattern. I brought the pattern along with the piece of metal that was cut out. I had then cut out the pattern with the same thickness sheet metal and replicate the bends.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3819_zpse11b243a

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3823_zps422a2015

I Fluid Filmed (undercoating) the sending unit.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3830_zps7bea0007

I then put wiring jackets and tie wrapped the tubing to keep it secure.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3833_zps15d4ce0f

I drilled the cover for screws. There is one section that is too close to the tank, that you cannot use screws.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3835_zpsa2dc5143

I used a small bead of silicon caulking, as it was a good fit.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3836_zps1ab2444e

I screwed the cover on, and there's the finished product.

Install easy access door for fuel pump DSC_3837_zps442efcd0

I figured I turned a 4 to 5 hour job into a 45 minute job (just have to remember to carry an extra fuel pump).

I have the pattern if anyone wants a copy. All and all, not a bad job; with my luck the fuel pump will never have a problem. With the new access door, everything can be done without getting underneath the wagon.

Tom

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm

I love a good Tech Thread! Very nice! Arrow
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
I love a good Tech Thread! Very nice! Arrow

thanks!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 12:15 am

Damn Tom, that came out great.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 2:29 am

Wow! Wicked good idea!

My wife is in the market for a wagon, so I will keep you in mind when/if we get one.

Excellent post, Tom!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 7:20 am

Next to taking off the rear shocks, dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump is the worst job. No more for me. Today, I am going down to the sheet metal shop to have them make me another cover for the Caprice Wagon. Then sometime, I will figure out the Fleetwood.

Tom
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 7:47 am

Nice work Tom. You should get a bunch made and sell these things with a cutting template, I'm sure some wagon owners would buy these.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 7:51 am

95brmw wrote:
Nice work Tom. You should get a bunch made and sell these things with a cutting template, I'm sure some wagon owners would buy these.

That's an idea. I'll put you down for two.

Tom
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 8:52 am

That's a good idea Tom! I don't really mind dropping the tank. Although, everytime I've had a pump fail, it was at home. affraid

Maybe I should do the pump in my wagon BEFORE I take off to Florida. scratch
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 8:58 am

GasTT wrote:
Maybe I should do the pump in my wagon BEFORE I take off to Florida.

Not necessarily a good idea. My last pump lasted four miles.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:05 am

Jim would be proud of you...cutting up bodies like that.. Shocked

So...you think you'll have enough room to disconnect the lines & bring everything up thru the hole?
(Including that funny angle you always have to rotate to get the float out?)
Or you would still do the lines from underneath?

I KNOW your still gonna need bandaids... Razz
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:10 am

looks like the tank is close enough to the floor to pull up on the sender and still angle it out. For me, THAT is the worst part of the whole job lol.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:28 am

sdstick wrote:
Jim would be proud of you...cutting up bodies like that.. Shocked

So...you think you'll have enough room to disconnect the lines & bring everything up thru the hole?
(Including that funny angle you always have to rotate to get the float out?)
Or you would still do the lines from underneath?

I KNOW your still gonna need bandaids... Razz

The lines will easily disconnect, there should be plenty of room to pull the pump out and rotate. You may have to get a little slack on the wire. The idea is to not do anything from underneath. The only thing I see, is if the wire is pinched, you may have to drop the tank an inch; but that is only 2 bolts.

GasTT wrote:
Maybe I should do the pump in my wagon BEFORE I take off to Florida. scratch

Roll the dice.

Tom

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Install easy access door for fuel pump   Install easy access door for fuel pump Empty

Back to top Go down

Install easy access door for fuel pump
Page 1 of 1