BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? Empty
PostSubject: Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?   Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 pm

What do you guys think? I'm thinkin, let's be proactive and drop the tank, but want everyones input. I don't want to be cruzin down I-81 and it quit on me.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?   Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:45 am

Mine quit on me 3 times in a week and I knew it was time. I'd say if it has already started to be an issue just get it done before the cold weather hits. It sucks working under a car in the winter.

On a side note my issue as was the case with some other people was the wiring. It makes me wonder if we could just replace the harness and still use the same pump. I know replacing the pump but not the harness doesn't fix the problem, so it would make sense that the issue isn't a dead pump but a bad connection. We're treating it like a case of replacing the alternator every time a battery cable gets a bad connection. Probably a silly idea but it would be nice to save all that money every time we have pump issues.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?   Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:55 am

In my case the wiring looked fine so I think the pump dies a slow reasonably predictable death.
I didnt have any driving problems with mine it showed up as starting problems.
I 2nd the dont wait for winter statement above
IMO DONT wait til it strands you unless you need time alone
...at a gas pump
...in front of a convenience store
...at work
...in a customers parking lot
...any of those places where you pulled in but then couldnt start back up
Back to top Go down
booth9C1SS

booth9C1SS

PostSubject: Re: Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?   Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Often, the wirng corosion is onthe part of the pump that you can't see... inside the tank. Mine tried to give up the ghost last year on the B-body roundup in rural NH. I got mine to get me home to Maine, but when I changed it, the wiring inside the tank had no insulation on it!!!

Changing the pump isn't that bad in dry, warm weather and your tank is mostly empty.

I'd say change it before it bites you in the butt.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/booth9c1ss
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?   Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me? Empty

Back to top Go down

Install the fuel pump now or wait till she quits on me?
Page 1 of 1