BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Rodent proofing the B-body

Go down 
+2
sdstick
95brmw
6 posters
AuthorMessage
95brmw

95brmw

Rodent proofing the B-body Empty
PostSubject: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 am

Now that I found my SD card from my camera I can finally show you all what I did to prevent a fire from breaking out in my Caprice again. As a lot of you know I have had a problem with mice getting into my 9C1's HVAC housing since I bought it. What started out as a minor annoyance of having to clean out the blower every now and then escalated into a fire. While I had the car torn apart to replace the melted and burnt parts (and upgrade to auto climate control) I went ahead and permanantly addressed this problem. My previous fix was to install the cabin air filter mod, which I did buy but never installed.
The "fix" itself is pretty simple, the difficult part is getting to the intake part inside the dash to do it. You could probably do this under the cowl, but if the box is out of the car it's much neater. I used a piece of steel gutter leaf guard from the hardware store and cut it into a box shape. Once tested for fit I riveted it into the box. So far it's been in there for 2 months and I am happy to say nothing has been living in my car cheers

Rodent proofing the B-body P1000817

And what your dash looks like when you almost have this thing out of the car:
Rodent proofing the B-body P1000819
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am

Nice, wish it were that easy IN the car.

Any idea what actually moves to divert heat from the defrost to the floor?
Matts car doesnt do this (dont think it has for years)
I'd like to fix it.
The heater core is fine so I use to live with the controls set on hot & vent during the winter
Now that he got his license he's been driving anyone & everyone around & they're all comlaining about the heat.
I'll be removing the 160 deg thermostat but I'd love to know what door or arm or whatever was supposed to swing to divert air to the floor
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 3:07 pm

Steve, there is a vacuum canister under the dash directly above the heater vent, had a vacuum actuated plunger that moves the diverter, I believe it's a red vac line going into it (could be tan) I'd check there first. My roadmaster was just having the same issue. Mine ended up being the vacuum manifold under the glove box that wasn't firmly seated, not sure if caprice/imp have the same manifold as roadie/fwb
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Can the diverter arm come loose?
I'll definetly check the vacuum but I thought I could hear it call but nothing mechanically changed.
Damn....another job with my head stuck under the dash....
Thanks for the tip....at least I have hope of finding an easy problem
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 5:58 pm

sdstick wrote:
Can the diverter arm come loose?
I'll definetly check the vacuum but I thought I could hear it call but nothing mechanically changed.
Damn....another job with my head stuck under the dash....
Thanks for the tip....at least I have hope of finding an easy problem

The most annoying place to try to get your head into! You know it's his car now! Make him do the awkward positioning! Arrow You're a good supervisor, he can follow your instructions I bet!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Dont know if your old enough to answer the question but....

Whats that noise that Charlie Browns hears when his teacher talks???
(same sound my wife makes sometimes.. Wink )

Cuz I guarantee thats what Matt hears when I talk

I'll let him know you believe he can step up & solve this....

Appreciate that

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 pm

sdstick wrote:
Dont know if your old enough to answer the question but....

Whats that noise that Charlie Browns hears when his teacher talks???
(same sound my wife makes sometimes.. Wink )

Cuz I guarantee thats what Matt hears when I talk

I'll let him know you believe he can step up & solve this....

Appreciate that

I'm sorry Steve what did you say all I heard was mwah Wah Wah wha mwah Wah Razz

Just kidding! Hey if I was given a car I'd pick it over like crazy. I actually did the cougars first oil change a month early because I was bored and want to mess around with my car! Having a car is more than driving around like a big shot, you've got to know how to do a few things to it to claim ownership.
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Interesting. How long you figure it took to get the dash down to that point? Matt, let me know when you're doing this mod to the dggm. I wanna stop by and check it out. Arrow
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Damn, I had a really good pic of this thing with all the lines on it. I'll have to dig through my camera again.

As far as disassembly, I would guess hour and a half to get to this point, give or take. Its easier if you have parted these cars before to learn all the little tricks of how parts are attached.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 pm

8bud wrote:
Interesting. How long you figure it took to get the dash down to that point? Matt, let me know when you're doing this mod to the dggm. I wanna stop by and check it out. Arrow

Hahaha...we'll see. I actually buttoned up the dash this afternoon (but left most of the screws out for the trim plate) because I was sick of looking at it half disassembled, and I didn't want to lose anything...

Dave, for some reason I thought this happened because mice chewed wires that started the fire? Was it actually a nest or something that ignited? So relieved my problem didn't get to that level!

I'm curious as to where the mice get into these cars, like an entry point? Mini Coopers have a big problem with it where there is a very convenient air intake sort of thing that they just hop right into, so I'm told.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Matt,

It wasn't chewed wire that started it, it was the nest they made on top of the blower resistor next to the fan. That thing apparently gets hot enough to ignite something flammable if there is no airflow from a clogged blower. I guess that's why they stick it in there to be cooled by the blower. I had always wondered how they got in there in the first place, I always found insulation under the dash, in the trunk and under the rear seat. As it turn out, they were getting into the car under the cowell where the air intake is and would find their way out of the air duct or something into the car. This is not the first B-body I had to clean a nest out of, just one with the most persistent mice. I lost track of how many I killed over the years. Nothing funnier than an LT1 covered in mouse traps Razz

This link shows where the cabin filter mod is done, that is the intake where they get in along with all the other crap we have to clean out every now and then.
http://www.goldsswagon.com/cabinfilter/cabinfilter.htm

Below are some more pics of the CARnage.
Rodent proofing the B-body P1000825
Rodent proofing the B-body P1000822
Rodent proofing the B-body P1000826
Rodent proofing the B-body P1000497
Rodent proofing the B-body P1000491
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rodent proofing the B-body   Rodent proofing the B-body Empty

Back to top Go down

Rodent proofing the B-body
Page 1 of 1