BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?

Go down 
+4
95brmw
No Moa
Cadet57
fatvet
8 posters
AuthorMessage
fatvet

fatvet

looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? Empty
PostSubject: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:25 am

So, anyone wanna share what they payed to have these parts installed ?

Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints
Inner tie rod ends
outer tire rod ends
Adjusting sleeves for tire rods
Idler arm
Center link

I'm 300 deep in these parts, and wanna know how much more i need.
forget about alignment price just interested in intstall labor

TIA
-ALF out..
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2386222
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:54 am

Just my two cents, but if you're looking to save money you could always have a vocational HS do the work. Thats what I did when I needed to do ball joints last winter. Cost me the parts plus $10 to the school. They did good work too.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Did it myself, paid $70 for the alignment. Figure at least $250 for a garage to do it. and then $70 or so for alignment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySat May 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Did it myself. Rent the press from autozone to remove/install the lower ball joints. Install parts, get an alignment.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySun May 29, 2011 8:12 am

you are looking at about 350 for labor on it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-Caprice-Impala-SS/1082
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptySun May 29, 2011 2:49 pm

When I had my balljoints, idler, and a couple other front end things done, the labor was maybe 250 or 300, can't remember for sure but around there, and I bought all the Moog parts myself from Amazon (they were the cheapest most of the time).
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

One way to avoid the full labor cost is to do as much of it yourself as possible.

The main thing that keeps most of us from doing the whole job at home is the lack of a press for LBJ & U/L control arm bushing replacement, so:

Take off all your parts yourself & clean them patiently (wire brush, paint scraper, Gunk, garden hose, etc.)

You can remove LBJ with a sharp hammer blow & UBL with a common drill, even if they have never been replaced.

Tie rods & center-links can be replaced with common tools, just carefully match assembled lengths, until the time of alignment.

The upper and lower cntrl arms should be brought to your local automotive machine shop to install lower ball joints and all pivot bushings. Minimal cost.

Bring them home to paint and install on your car, and then its off to the local alignment shop right away, to avoid unnecessary tyre wear.

Then, you will have saved a fair amount of money, and you will have a better job, not to mention the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

P.S. In the event that the frame has sagged, you may need to opt for the special "offset" upper control arm shafts, to allow you to get your camber correct.

You can also R&R all of the control arm bushings at home with a hammer, but that takes a bit of experiential "technique" to get done without frustration.

Also you may be able to rent a "ball joint press" (big C-clamp) and a tie-rod remover from your local tool rental location.

Once you've done it this way, having figured out all the sources of whats necessary, it will seem silly (IMHO) to take it to a shop to spend all that money.

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 12:08 am

Today I helped my friend do similar work to a merkur XR4Ti and that was a EFFING bitch, so I think it would be MUCH easier to do this on a caprice/impala and it would be worth it to at least give it a shot by yourself at first. Thats always my philosophy.

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Today I helped my friend do similar work to a merkur XR4Ti and that was a EFFING bitch, so I think it would be MUCH easier to do this on a caprice/impala and it would be worth it to at least give it a shot by yourself at first. Thats always my philosophy.

LOL MERKURRRRRRRR...

My friend has a red one of those cars with like 23K original miles on it sitting on jackstands in his garage, some eccentric guy from Armenia owns it along with another one and has been storing them there for 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:17 pm

1984twodoor wrote:

LOL, I was just thinking about those pieces of crap. Clarkson used one on a Top Gear challenge this past weekend.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:

LOL MERKURRRRRRRR...

My friend has a red one of those cars with like 23K original miles on it sitting on jackstands in his garage, some eccentric guy from Armenia owns it along with another one and has been storing them there for 5 years.

Seriously? Dont tell my friend he'll go grab everything on them lol

Cadet57 wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:

LOL, I was just thinking about those pieces of crap. Clarkson used one on a Top Gear challenge this past weekend.

Don't say that until you've riden in one. Wayyyyy fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?   looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...? Empty

Back to top Go down

looking for what others payed for Labor on Front end parts install...?
Page 1 of 1