BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...

Go down 
+5
V8Killer
No Moa
toomanytoyz
Cadet57
Pooge
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pooge

Pooge

Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... Empty
PostSubject: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Here is what I posted on ISSF. Looking to get some good feedback here, since I know you guys....What are your thoughts and how much would be considered a reasonable price for the product, per side?

Posted on ISSF:
I have noticed a severe lack in 1/4 panel sheet metal patch panels. I know you can get the fiberglass ones, but I think most, if not all, people would prefer a weld-in one.

I'm considering going out and having patch panels made for our cars. This would likely be from the body line behind the rear fender, down to the pinch weld at the bottom of the 1/4. At this time I don't think it would be cost effective to include the inside of the fender, because that would be pretty easily made up by anyone with any metal skills, and since it does not get seen, I imagine the real "Needed" parts is the correctly formed outside body panel.

They would be 100% American made and produced, and of the highest quality, so price would not be dirt-cheap, but quality would be stellar.

I will include a poll in a few minutes to see what people would be willing to pay for such a piece. Obviously it is not even worth me going through the trouble to try to set something up if it will cost $125 to make, box, and ship it and people are only willing to pay $100 for one...

Thanks guys,

Doug
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 2:01 pm

This guy. Unless this is for those pesky 93/94+ Sedans Wink

I will also say that if you do make a wagon version, I would guess that most, if not all the northern wagon owners would buy a set, even to keep as a spare. Something to keep in mind to help improve sales/ keep costs down.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 pm

That's a definate void in the market that needs to be filled!

Both wagon and sedan guys would love you forever. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 pm

If I do it, I would likely start with the 93+ sedans and depending on how it goes branch out.

It is currently in the works to find out what the tooling will cost and a price per unit... I imagine it will be a pricey start up, but when I was regularly parting out I was getting messages many times a week looking for 1/4 panels.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:43 pm

I think there is a post here somewhere about these, i mentioned it a couple times. i was going to take the good set i have and try to find someone to stamp out new ones. But it was more $ and time i didn't have.

But yea it would be awesome to buy metal ones, instead of those junk fiberglass ones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

I think having these would be GREAT! I also think people would not be apposed to paying more for a quality part made here. cheers
Back to top Go down
jvette65

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Just to gauge pricing, looking for similar patch panels for early Camaro's (Classisc Industries) quarter sections go for $36 to $45. I would think the leading edge nearest the wheel radius pinch weld going reward 8-10" would be good for about $40. For some of us that may need the entire lower quarter (wheel radius pinch weld to bumper - use the body molding line as the upper limit) would probably be closer to $80. Last time I cut out some lower quarters they wanted $40 a side, but that included the inner portion and included the trunk drop down. I'd be good for a set of the full lower quarters as spares. -Joe
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Keep me informed as I need at least the passenger side and would prefer to do both. It seems like there should be a good market for it especially if they are good quality replacements and not the fiber ones. That's why I haven't done mine yet. I think the ones I was looking at on ebay were $260 + shipping for the fiberglass. bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm

I have researched this heavily. The whole quarter is $700 per side from two different vendors. So $150-$160 is in the ball park per side for a patch panel, but the drivers side is the one that is the worse, so it is the one I would concentrate on. If you can build and ship for $125ea or less, then $150 seems fair. I would pay that for a direct replacement. But it should end at or just above the body line, no lower. Good luck with the idea. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I need both sides, that's for sure. Is there anyone with a daily driver who hasn't needed them? Good idea and you have the contacts to sell them.

I had to get an ext. cab patch panel to fix my Blazer before, that wasn't super cheap, and was probably made in China. I think I paid like 50-75 bucks for the stupid thing from LMC truck. Today while changing the oil for the first time since the snow, I found my truck needs BOTH rockers under the doors, the entire bottom of the pass. quarter replaced, spot behind driver's rear wheel, spots IN pass. wheelwell, the list goes on. I think I'm cutting, filling with Great Stuff and fiberglassing it all over. Screw it.

Anyway, all those panels cost a decent amount of coin and aren't even made all that great.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 10:53 pm

BOX..... Laughing just saying that a BUNCH of us want to feel the quarter panel love too! Maybe you could whip some up after the bubble ones take hold? Just another thought Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...   Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal... Empty

Back to top Go down

Gauging interest in replacement 1/4 panel sheet metal...
Page 1 of 1