BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Steering box EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Steering box EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Steering box EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Steering box EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Steering box EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Steering box EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Steering box EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Steering box EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Steering box EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Steering box

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Steering box   Steering box EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I will be looking for a new steering box for my wagon soon. I read someplace that AGR is questionable at best, yet they seem to be the only people making a high performance 12:1 box I can find. What part number is the correct one for our cars from AGR?

Thank you
Bill
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm

That one I sent you go bad already?

Doug
Back to top Go down

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Pooge wrote:

Doug
It was much better than the one in the car, but still had some play, and I have grown sick of it.

Certainly no reflection on you Doug. Arrow
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Pooge wrote:

Doug
It was much better than the one in the car, but still had some play, and I have grown sick of it.

well, I'm kind of a sloppy guy... Razz

There are a few posts on the national forum about the aftermarket truck boxes or something like that, lots of good info from Navy Lifer if I recall.

Doug
Back to top Go down

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am

Pooge wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
Pooge wrote:

Doug

There are a few posts on the national forum about the aftermarket truck boxes or something like that, lots of good info from Navy Lifer if I recall.

Doug
I have been searching over there, but have not found any truck stuff, and limited info on steering boxes in general.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 7:24 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Pooge wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
Pooge wrote:

Doug

Doug
I have been searching over there, but have not found any truck stuff, and limited info on steering boxes in general.
After much research hunting for a box for my 96 9C1, and messing around with these types of things for more years than I'd like to admit to, THIS is the box, if you are considering buying a new unit. I bought it from Mark here: . . . http://www.scandc.com/leesteering.htm . . . BTW, I bought the 670 12:1 @ $515.00 It is a better and lighter box according to the "best & brightest" advisors I've spoken to! Check it out if your looseness still bugz you.

Last edited by Machine-De-Zine on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 7:32 am

Rumor has it, and I have done some measuring to make sure of it. The 92-98 Jeep Grand Cherokees all came with a 12.7:1 box. It is Identical as far as I can tell to the box found in the b-body. This means I can buy reman boxes for the jeep without fear of getting the wrong box. With the caprice/impala, there is no way of knowing until it is bolted up, and you turn the wheel.
I can get a reman steering box for under $130 through my work. With my discount, I pay about $100. Big savings over the AGR.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 3:33 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Rumor has it, and I have done some measuring to make sure of it. The 92-98 Jeep Grand Cherokees all came with a 12.7:1 box. It is Identical as far as I can tell to the box found in the b-body. This means I can buy reman boxes for the jeep without fear of getting the wrong box. With the caprice/impala, there is no way of knowing until it is bolted up, and you turn the wheel.
I can get a reman steering box for under $130 through my work. With my discount, I pay about $100. Big savings over the AGR.
After you clarify the requirements for the end result in descending order of priority, then you must locate the components that fulfill those criteria. For me, first is safety/reliability. A car containing my family, hurdling down the highway at legal speed, and ANY issues with the steering are a BIG deal. Second, what kind of performance expectation is there, and that's not just the desired ratio (assuming the RANGE of travel in degrees is correct, 82 deg. in our B-body I believe), and the effort required based on the installed torsion bar, not to mention the Buick "variable effort steering" option compatibility, OR, , , did the re-manufacturer's minimum wage employee simply pull one more carcass off of the bone-yard sourced "IN" pile just before lunch on friday & decide it looked too clean to merit hooking it up to the "test-bench" and so he just plops it into the ready for paint cage so that he can be first in line at Taco-Bell moments later! Hey man, welcome to the real world of "re-man"! Examine what you truly DO receive when you pay whatever you pay. I KNOW what I am getting from an establishment like Lee Performance Steering Boxes. Read the description of what they actually do in the preparation of your steering gear box! And the word "performance" for me means my family's safety has NOT been compromised by my choice in some component based upon cost savings. Thats not to say that your vehicle won't be safe with every other choice of steering box. A KNOWN GOOD steering system on my car definitely qualifies as sound insurance policy!

Last edited by Machine-De-Zine on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JaySS

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 4:53 pm

58 posts in 12 days of membership. Hmm.

So far you’ve written some informative and well thought out posts.

It is fine to raise questions regarding the source of the remanufactured parts, and constructive criticism is always appreciated. But leave the axes to grind and the political discussion at the door. This is the Problems/Maintenance section.

- J

Last edited by JaySS on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 5:43 pm

JaySS wrote:
58 posts in 12 days of membership. Hmm.
- J

Might be going for Fred Kiehl's record! 2000 posts in less than a year (wagon site)

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 6:21 pm

There is an easy way to determine what the ratio is for sure. I just take a couple cam degree wheels and mount them to the steering gear shafts lock it in a vise and rotate. You will learn the actual lock to lock range at the sector shaft, the lock to lock range for the steering wheel as well as the true ratio. This will not tell you the effort of the box because that is determined by the input torsion bar inside - Thicker bar means higher effort. . . . http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0901_gm_steering_box_upgrade/power_steering.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering box   Steering box Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering box
Page 1 of 1