BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion

Go down 
+2
GasTT
Waldo617
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Waldo617

Waldo617

DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion Empty
PostSubject: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Has anyone ever converted a 96 caprice with the belt driven fan to the dual electric fan set up? I found a 96 roadmaster with dual fans in the junkyard and I want to do the conversion if someone with experience doing it is willing yo help

Thanks
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 pm

I did it in my Caprice. Just remove the mechanical fan crap. Then install the fans. They should just plug right in. I think you need to program your computer for it. Mine is not programmed and my fans stay on all the time. I don't think thats a good thing.

Make sure you grab the water pump bolts from the donor car I think they are shorter.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:54 pm

The bracket that clips on the top and bottom of the radiator are different. The dual fan clips have the mounting points for the second fan.

There's a wiring kit that you can buy to make the second fan work correctly. Crovo can explain it better.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Here's the guide from the Wagon forum. This is one of those things on my "to do eventually" list.

http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/engine-f28/mechanical-fan-delete-t57.htm
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I've converted to the 2 fans system, following Bob Ignash's directions, the link posted by Justin. Follow them and you won't have any problems.

The bracket clips are the same on both types of radiators. At the junk yard take the 2 fans and the top radiator support piece and any wiring that you can. I had the PCM reprogrammed to have the primary fan come on sooner; but even if you don't they will still work.

Take your time and make sure you do the wiring correct.

Tom C.

Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 pm

you dont need both fans, just the one in place of the mech. Fan.. If your looking at the engine bay from the front of the car, the fan on your left is what you need. Water Pump bolts ARE longer for the mech. fan bracket, so get the shorter ones.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm

If your secondary fan goes, you'll be sorry you didn't take the second fan.

Tom C.

Last edited by silverfox103 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Don't they all have the secondary fan? I'm ONLY running the stock secondary fan right, for the roundup and everything, mech. Fan deleted, e-fan in, but not hooked up or wired yet
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Corrected
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Bottom clip is different. I almost ended up with the single fan clip and switched it out at the last second when I realized it didn't have the provision for the second fan. Doug can show you the difference if you ever try to snag one from him.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 pm

bammax wrote:
Bottom clip is different. I almost ended up with the single fan clip and switched it out at the last second when I realized it didn't have the provision for the second fan. Doug can show you the difference if you ever try to snag one from him.

My car(95) had the metal mount that slides into the fan on the bottom already. Stock.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Some of them only have a single offset tab for the single fan. You can't assume they all had the dual tabs because then you may be screwed when it comes time to do the swap. Just like you can't assume that the bolts that hold the fan to the tanks will come out. Sometimes you need to cut them out and then search your parts bin for a new bolt that's close enough to work. I almost lost an eye playing that game No
Back to top Go down
Waldo617

Waldo617

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Ok so unplugged the fans and removed both fans. I also removed the piece from the bottom of the radiator that has the two tabs on it I got the top radiator support and the piece from the top of the radiator that the fans bolt to...
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Now you just need to swap it all in and then do the wiring. Like mentioned you can get the shorter bolts too since you don't need them to hold the fan on anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion   DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

DuaL Electric cooling fans conversion
Page 1 of 1