BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

MY WHEEL FELL OFF!

Go down 
+7
Waldo617
GasTT
mean ss
toomanytoyz
bammax
Tomz9C1
onehunglo
11 posters
AuthorMessage
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 7:58 am

So I took The Impala out yesterday, considering it had been the first nice day in about a week, drove to work, no issues. I leave work and do my usual passing of slower drivers and notice a hint of vibration. I realize I'm in OD and by that time was going slower so I shift down to D and continue on my route. I only use OD at highway speeds. Now, I'm only doing about 50 and don't really notice pryor vibration. I get to the highway and as usual get into it and hammer up the on-ramp, there is the vibration again, very hint, but there. I play with accelerator a bit and it will go away with more acceleration. Now this season will be the last for definitely the rear tires and probably the fronts as well. I did change out the end links in the front and know I need an alignment, so with the vibration very minimal I continue. Short ride up HWY, get to house, pickup wifey and are off to SKIP'S Hamburgers. Still nothing alarming, almost feels like tranny dragging. Now my thoughts go to common tranny failure and figure if it's going to happen it's going to happen, at some point. We eat and decide to cruise the beach. Make our way through Salisbury up 1A and without warning it as if I ran over a 55 gallon drum and am dragging it, ass-end falls to ground and I pull to the sideand in the mirror I see rear driver wheel fall completely off! affraid I get out and the rotor is sitting on the pavement. With my arms up in udder shock I see that one of the studs broke off, one bent, but none of the remaining are stripped. I move over to the wheel with lug cover still on and all the lugs still sitting in there. I go through the process of jacking it up and putting the rim and tire back on, it was gnawed to shit on the inside. I'm able to crank the four remaining lugs onto the studs and I slowly traveled back home.

The only damage was a scorn inner rim and the rear molding was pulled out by tire coming out of the well. Does this molding simply glue back on? Or is it tack welded at all. To me It looked simply glued but with it not all the way off I didn't want to damaged it more by yanking on it. Also, are those removable lugs or are they part of the hub? Not quite sure why any of this happened. I did rotate tires about a month ago and I know I tightended the lugs, plus I probably put 300mi on since then with no signs. Of course my mind goes to sabotage but I don't have any enemies and I have't slept with anyones wife since I was in my early twenties. Embarassed With one stud broke and still on the nut and others not stripped I just don't get it.

Thanks for letting me ramble, I needed to get this of my chest.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:31 am

Same thing happened to me in the 9C1, but I didn't make it as far as you. Root cause, lack of torquing lug nuts
Back to top Go down

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:54 am

That sucks man. But the good news is no one was hurt. Very Happy

As for the trim. It clips on the body, and there is one screw at the bottom of each end at the very bottom.
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 10:21 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
That sucks man. But the good news is no one was hurt. Very Happy

No doubt, at least I wasn't bootin' down the highway.

IMPALADAKID wrote:
As for the trim. It clips on the body, and there is one screw at the bottom of each end at the very bottom.

Sweet thanks just finished breakfast gonna go mess with it.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 3:25 pm

That's one reason for double checking your lugs after about 100 miles after any wheel service. Last time I swapped a tire I rechecked the lugs after about 150 miles and a couple of them were about 3/4 turn from being tight. It's amazing how they can back off just from vibration and heating cycles.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Damn Matt! That sucks!!!! Sad

I bet you buy a torque wrench now tho. Wink

And like Billy said, it just has tabs bent over to hold it to the body in the arch of the wheelwell and a screw at each end. Hop you got it back together today.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:17 pm

I did get the molding back on, not to much trouble. I had to be carefull not to damage it any further, doesn't look terrible. I'm geussing that I need a hub puller to get to the lugs. I'm going to hit Advanced in the morning, hopefully they rent one.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:23 pm

you dont need a hub puller, you have to take the rear end cover off take out the cross shaft and spider gears then you can get the c-clips off to get the axles out
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:27 pm

mean ss wrote:
you dont need a hub puller, you have to take the rear end cover off take out the cross shaft and spider gears then you can get the c-clips off to get the axles out

Yikes, that sounds scary! Do you think a first timer would be wise to tackle?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:31 pm

go for it, just dont break the small cross shaft retaining bolt
how many studs are bad ?
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:38 pm

mean ss wrote:
go for it, just dont break the small cross shaft retaining bolt
how many studs are bad ?

Just one is broke, but was going to swap out all five just in case. Looking through Haynes manual and of coarse they make it look much easier than it really is. I'll probably take a stab at it on Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm

if it was one or two ,I have seen people just hammer out the bad ones then with a bunch of washers and a
nut pull the new studs in with an air gun to seat them
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptySun May 16, 2010 10:52 pm

I've broken studs before by over torquing them. I put in new ones using that washer method. Taking out the axles isn't a big deal and a perfect time to change your differential fluid and cover gasket.
Back to top Go down
Waldo617

Waldo617

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyMon May 17, 2010 10:44 am

i usually torque my lug nuts to 100lbft. and i try to retorque them at least once every month because that is necessary when dealing with aluminum wheels
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyMon May 17, 2010 11:19 am

Those studs probably died of old age &/ or abuse
I used to yell at the tire guy for over-torquing my wifes wheels
I can tell you having a rear wheel fall off a 70's corvette is UGLY, it just goes right thru the fiberglass
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: my wheel fell off!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyMon May 17, 2010 3:14 pm

well after reading this post. i went out today and checked mine. had three loose on two different wheels. i torqued them down to 105 lbs. now i feel better.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyMon May 17, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm checking mine now too... Shocked

The only car I ever saw this happen on was a late 70s Lincoln Mark V. It wasn't pretty, damn near tore the whole passenger side of the car off!
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:45 pm

So I got to pulling the transaxle today, wasn't to bad. I did have to go and buy an 8mm six-point socket for the retainer bolt in the diff. The 12-point I had started to strip it. I replaced all five studs....for now crisis averted. bounce
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:51 pm

I knew you could do it cheers
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:53 pm

mean ss wrote:
I knew you could do it cheers

Support much appriciated! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyThu May 20, 2010 7:04 am

How'd the other side look? silent while you were in there silent
At least do a visual so your safe
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri May 21, 2010 4:53 am

sdstick wrote:
How'd the other side look? silent

The other side?....I made sure the rest of the wheels were torqued to a 100lbs.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri May 21, 2010 5:12 pm

onehunglo wrote:
So I got to pulling the transaxle today, wasn't to bad. I did have to go and buy an 8mm six-point socket for the retainer bolt in the diff. The 12-point I had started to strip it. I replaced all five studs....for now crisis averted. bounce
Sucks that it happened, but glad to hear you fixed it. cheers
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Good job, Matty! Smile

See ya tomorrow! and you better be RACING! Razz
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:29 pm

I plan on meeting up with you guys at BK's but have to be at work at 8:00 Mad
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm

onehunglo wrote:
I plan on meeting up with you guys at BK's but have to be at work at 8:00 Mad

I dunno man... You don't look so good. And that cough is terrible. You may want to think twice about going in... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WHEEL FELL OFF!   MY WHEEL FELL OFF! Empty

Back to top Go down

MY WHEEL FELL OFF!
Page 1 of 1