BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Unearthed Titan II missile silo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Unearthed Titan II missile silo Empty
PostSubject: Unearthed Titan II missile silo   Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2010/02/gallery-silo-3/all/1
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Unearthed Titan II missile silo   Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Matt

That was an interesting story. Every once in a while stories about those missile sites pop up on TV, newspaper or on the net.

I can tell a related story. I grew up in Pembroke, MA which is about 25 miles south of Boston. Somewhere in the very early 60's I was outside my parents house when I heard what sounded like a large truck coming up the street. We lived just off of the main drag, once in a while people will make a wrong turn and come down our street, which eventually connects back to the main route.

I will never forget that it was an 18 wheeler and a flatbed coming up the street. What I saw next, I couldn't believe. On the flatbed was a missile plain as day. It was not covered up at all. Those were the days of the cold war, there was always a lot of tension between Russia and the US, China would also make some noise sometimes. I can remember telling my parents, but probably never thought too much more about it; but I never forgot it, to this day. I thought to myself what would a missile be doing here.

Years later maybe in the 80's or 90's, I stopped down to my mother's and read the local paper. There was an article about abandon missile silos in Halifax MA, which was the next town. The dots were connected.

Now that I think about it, there was an Air Force Base about 12 miles away and we were 8 miles from the coast. So if you think all the missile were in the middle of the country they were not.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Unearthed Titan II missile silo   Unearthed Titan II missile silo EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:15 pm

That's crazy! You'd think they'd try to conceal what was on the back of the truck...Laughing

My dad used to tell me stories about stuff like that, especially about the "Nike" missile bases around the area. I've been to a couple of them, they were all around the loop of Route 128, which I guess was built as a military highway in the first place to service these bases a la the Autobahn (?). There's one in Reading but you can't really check it out because it's on the ground of the gun club behind Camp Curtis Guild, there's one in Topsfield on Route 1 that's all overgrown, there was one in Nahant where I believe Northeastern University keeps boats now...there was one at Beverly Airport...I forget where else... Shocked

I know Wompatuck State Park has or had some old Cold War era military remains left out there, and the old Natick Labs/Fort Devens Annex in Sudbury is full of old underground ammunition bunkers out in the woods, I walked around that place a couple of years ago with friends and was surprised at how huge it was, over 2000 acres!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmacgray/4266675001/in/set-72157623172049338/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unearthed Titan II missile silo   Unearthed Titan II missile silo Empty

Back to top Go down

Unearthed Titan II missile silo
Page 1 of 1