BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Need some brake info EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Need some brake info EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Need some brake info EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Need some brake info EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Need some brake info EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Need some brake info EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Need some brake info EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Need some brake info EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Need some brake info EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Need some brake info

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bammax

bammax

Need some brake info Empty
PostSubject: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:03 pm

I hear rumors that the '94's have a seperate controller for the abs that's independent of the pcm. Is this true at all? If so what connection does it have with the pcm as far as inputs and such? I'm looking at retrofitting abs into an older car and don't want to have to bring in an entire pcm and harness just for abs functionality.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:24 pm

Nobody knows the answer for me? Nobody has ever dismantled a '94 and found out anything usefull?

Just so everyone's clear, my questions are dripping with sarcasm Razz
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:41 pm

I don't think the ABS brain is the PCM in either '94s or '95s. The 94 brain is inside up left of the steering column. The 95 brain is built into the ABS unit.

There is a command (shut up or someting like that) that tells the PCM to be quite so you "talk" with the ABS. I think all they share is the ALDL (serial data) line.

The sensor wires are sheilded. You might have tricky wiring ahead of you.
The sensors are expensive and all but impossible to remove.

Take a look at the schematics:

http://ss.lencolab.com/

http://www.goldsswagon.com/diagrams/wiringindex.htm
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 am

I've been doing some basic research on the sensor issue and basically came to the conclusion that I'll have to pull a handful until I manage to get the ones I need in a non-broken version, since I'll break a few until I figure out the trick.

The wiring doesn't bother me. It's the controllers that I'm lost on. I'm hoping to find a way to just swap the entire system from one car to another without really disasembling anything. Easier said then done, I know.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

I think your best bet would be to use a '95 ABS. The wiring will be easier. Don't forget the ABS light on the dash.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:34 am

I read somewhere that the Fleetwood limo's do not have ABS, I think it was on ISSF. Not even sure if that will help.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

No light needed since the new car doesn't have a spot for one. I'm just looking for the bare minimum to be able to run it. I'll be set for sensors and wrining and stuff once I get back up to Doug's. I just don't want to wire up an entire pcm and then find I could have just used some abs control module and saved myself alot of time and hassle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Lets see.
Brad buys newer car, brad tries to get rid of modern tech of said car, then sells car to buy older car with no tech, only to ask how to ad newer tech to old car. Did I miss anything? scratch
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Razz

I'm all for good brakes, power windows, and power locks on a car as big as the b-bodies are. The rest of it is optional Wink

Once that's done I need to decide between turbo 6 or big block scratch
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 pm

On a related note does anyone happen to know off hand the front brake rotor diameters for the mid 90's b-bodies and the 80's b-bodies? From what I've seen the calipers, pads, and bearings are all the same between the years, but I can't find reliable info on the rotors being compatible since the different bolt pattern leads to different part numbers. If I can use the small bolt pattern rotors on my new spindles with everything lining up right then I'll sell off the 5x5 rotors I have and stick with the 4-3/4 wheels for a bit longer.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 pm

bammax wrote:
On a related note does anyone happen to know off hand the front brake rotor diameters for the mid 90's b-bodies and the 80's b-bodies? From what I've seen the calipers, pads, and bearings are all the same between the years, but I can't find reliable info on the rotors being compatible since the different bolt pattern leads to different part numbers. If I can use the small bolt pattern rotors on my new spindles with everything lining up right then I'll sell off the 5x5 rotors I have and stick with the 4-3/4 wheels for a bit longer.

they use a camaro 1LE rotors for the big brake conversions with the B-body spindle (tall spindle)
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 pm

So the stock 80's rotors wouldn't line up right once they're mounted on the 90's spindle? I was gathering that from what I was reading but wasn't entirerly sure. I may just end up buying an 80's rotor to compare directly to the one I have in storage. Then I can have a full set of dimensions for both types, just for future reference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Acording to ALLDATA, the programming is infact in the pcm. At first I thought it was just a generic answer, but the deeper I searched the more it looks like the pcm controls the abs modulation. I am only 90% sure. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some brake info   Need some brake info Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some brake info
Page 1 of 1