BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.

Go down 
+5
Fishah
bammax
toomanytoyz
boojum
BoSStonsSS
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. Empty
PostSubject: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 11:38 am

Over the past few months, I have started to appriciate life more than ever in my life. My wife and I have both relized there are things we want to do, and accomplish while we are here. Some are as simple as just being able to wake up everyday healthy.
Or as complexed as figuring a way to go back to school to learn a new trade that is competitive in the new globle economy.

But, with all that said, I have an itch that needs to be scratched. You see, I can't afford a Corvette, nor would I spend the money on one, as I do not believe anyone should spend that kind of money on a car. I feel there are other things more important to spend money on.

So how do I get the feel of a new vette, and not spend an arm and a leg on it? I build one!

So I am now on the lookout for a 90-97 first gen Miata. The drivetrain, exhaust, pcm, engine harness, and seats from my Impala will be used, and the rest will be parted out or sold as is.

I had the impala on a lift yesterday to get a good look, and it seems there are only 5 of 10 body mounts that are solid, and I found a soft spot on the frame I did not see the last time I had it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsh4cEhEWlg&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVhoYBeyMk&feature=related
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 12:14 pm

thats f**&%#@ nutzz... affraid

if you do decide to do that i can not wiat to see the finish product in person!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 pm

BoSStonsSS wrote:
thats f**&%#@ nutzz... affraid

if you do decide to do that i can not wiat to see the finish product in person!!!!!
It is decided. It will happen. cheers The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. The more videos I watch of other v8 miatas, the more I want to do it.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Good luck to you. I think I know how you feel. I hope it's going to be a widebody. Smile

Just in case you change your mind, your drivetrain would go nice in this: http://nh.craigslist.org/bar/1475158606.html.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:08 pm

fag
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
fag
It rubbed off from you. Razz
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 4:43 pm

How about a few more details. And I don't mean about the fag stuff!

Are you going with an auto? Do you have to swap the rear end? And how are your seats going to fit?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 6:28 pm

boojum wrote:
How about a few more details. And I don't mean about the fag stuff!

Are you going with an auto? Do you have to swap the rear end? And how are your seats going to fit?
No gay stuff.
It will be an auto, as that is all I have to work with, I think an RX7 rear is what the guys at monster miata use, Not sure on the seats yet. The plan is to build a little chevrolet powered rocket.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:04 pm

You do know you could have a Vette for less money than the v8 Miata right Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:22 pm

bammax wrote:
You do know you could have a Vette for less money than the v8 Miata right Suspect
Trust me, I won't. Besides I want something a bit different.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:26 pm

You actually use the rear end out of a Thunderbird or Mark VIII if you want factory posi. They make halfshafts that work for the swap.

No one makes a good, inexpensive swap for the Chevy motors, which is one of the reasons I got rid of mine. You need to do a lot of fab work on your own.

And good luck finding a cheap enough one to work with! I spent about 5 years looking before I found mine at 1100 bucks.

Hope you can make it happen though! It'll be a fun ride for sure!

You may want to consider selling your SS complete though and then buying a miata and wrecked mustang GT. The Monster Miata kit is really a "bolt-in" deal for the furd motors. Wink

Also, by the time you have it built "right", you'll have invested enough money to buy a very decent C4, REALLY decent C3, or "needs tlc" C5... Juss sayin. Wink
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:30 pm

I can find a bunch of Vettes for 5k or less and only a handful of the ford miatas for under 5k and those are beat. There was an early 90's vette for sale near my house for 5k with 80k miles on it in pretty nice shape. If your dead set on such a project you'd be better finding a fiero for your swap.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:37 pm

bammax wrote:
If your dead set on such a project you'd be better finding a fiero for your swap.

You are VERY wrong there! Two completely different animals. And if you want to build one, you probably are not interested in building the other...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:39 pm

bammax wrote:
I can find a bunch of Vettes for 5k or less and only a handful of the ford miatas for under 5k and those are beat. There was an early 90's vette for sale near my house for 5k with 80k miles on it in pretty nice shape. If your dead set on such a project you'd be better finding a fiero for your swap.
I found two miatas on craigs list for $500 ea.
The fiero is a possibility, but finding one seems to be harder.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Mid-engine is better for handling Wink

As for the Miata check this out to get some ideas
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Miata-V8-Lt1-chassis-and_160193.htm

And maybe a more fun project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869
^ I'd go with this one ^
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:54 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
You actually use the rear end out of a Thunderbird or Mark VIII if you want factory posi. They make halfshafts that work for the swap.

No one makes a good, inexpensive swap for the Chevy motors, which is one of the reasons I got rid of mine. You need to do a lot of fab work on your own.

And good luck finding a cheap enough one to work with! I spent about 5 years looking before I found mine at 1100 bucks.

Hope you can make it happen though! It'll be a fun ride for sure!

You may want to consider selling your SS complete though and then buying a miata and wrecked mustang GT. The Monster Miata kit is really a "bolt-in" deal for the furd motors. Wink

Also, by the time you have it built "right", you'll have invested enough money to buy a very decent C4, REALLY decent C3, or "needs tlc" C5... Juss sayin. Wink

I got a welder, I can create my own kit.

The first ones did use a rx7 diffy. The t-bird diffy was optional. I guess it is the way to go now.

I will build a k-member to accept the gm drivetrain.
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:59 pm

You should figure out a way to run the powder-coated SS wheels on the new car.

I vote Fiero fwiw..
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm with you Billy Mac, I say do it. I always thought it would be cool, but I don't fit in a Miata....

Although I think an LS1 would be much better motor, I am all for using what you have, I can feel that.

Doug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Not to sure this is going to work after all. The more I read the less it looks like something I can do in my own driveway. I guess I am back to fixing the impy. scratch
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Did you not check the link I posted? There are kits for the sbc's to fit into rx7's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

bammax wrote:
Did you not check the link I posted? There are kits for the sbc's to fit into rx7's.
Yup, I sure did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:52 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
bammax wrote:
Yup, I sure did.

I am looking at the fiero swap now as well. Just not sure what I am going to do. I guess I am just TOMA at this point.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:19 am

My beat up old impalla ss rides beter than my neighbors 12k mile c5! IMHO anyway, they ride so hard!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:33 am

I don't know what TOMA means, but I do know where there's an 88 Fiero Formula... Wink

And yeah, building a monster miata is not cheap OR easy if you don't use the ford stuff.
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: oh boy. i think my mid life crisis has hit   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:44 am

i dont know you that well bill. but i do know you can do it. the only thing holding you back is a place to build it. you need a garage. and maybe hit the lottery. and yes as you get older you think a little different. but good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 3:31 pm

No comment
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I don't know what TOMA means, but I do know where there's an 88 Fiero Formula... Wink
Would it be a certain red one? TOMA "Talking Out My Ass" Wink
toomanytoyz wrote:

And yeah, building a monster miata is not cheap OR easy if you don't use the ford stuff.
Yeh, and I do not feel like using or going back to ford.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 pm

I told my wife that I'm getting be that age where I should have a Vette or a 20 something girlfriend and that I'd let her pick wich one I would get. Much to my surprise she told me I could have both! She then told me all I have to do is move out and send her my entire paycheck every week.

Don't give up yet. Would you consider a C4 or Camaro? I know they ain't that unique but maybe with a little fiberglass...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm

boojum wrote:
I told my wife that I'm getting be that age where I should have a Vette or a 20 something girlfriend and that I'd let her pick wich one I would get. Much to my surprise she told me I could have both! She then told me all I have to do is move out and send her my entire paycheck every week.

Don't give up yet. Would you consider a C4 or Camaro? I know they ain't that unique but maybe with a little fiberglass...
It all boils down to money. I could not go out and buy one of those cars, and I do not think I could get enough from selling mine to buy one either. My Idea starts with the idea, that I have the engine, harness, pcm, and transmission if I go a front engine, rwd platform, or engine, harness, and pcm if I go the mid ship sidways action. The rest of the car would be parted out to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.   Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit. Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh boy. I think my mid life crisis has hit.
Page 1 of 1