BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Building an engine EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Building an engine EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Building an engine EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Building an engine EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Building an engine EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Building an engine EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Building an engine EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Building an engine EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Building an engine EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Building an engine

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:26 pm

I am going to tear down the first engine I got from the auto recyclers. It has 108k on it. I was thinking about dropping it off to R&L engines Here in Dover.
http://www.rlengines.com/ . It was very clean inside when I replaced all the gaskets. I may have them replace all the bearings, rering and hone, and rework the heads with stiffer beehive springs and 1.6 rockers.
Or the more expensive route. Dismantle the engine and have Golen engines do their stuff to the block, heads, crank, and piston and rods.
http://www.golenengineservice.com/
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Depends on your goals. Smile

I'm happy with mine and it's a standard bore tree fiddy that was cleaned up, re-bearinged and re-ringed (only ONCE this time!) and got a nice little heads/cam package.

I spent ~$250 @ Golen for the machine work. Baked, tanked, re-honed, checked block & heads...
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

I'm happy with mine and it's a standard bore tree fiddy that was cleaned up, re-bearinged and re-ringed (only ONCE this time!) and got a nice little heads/cam package.

I spent ~$250 @ Golen for the machine work. Baked, tanked, re-honed, checked block & heads...
That is not bad at all Bill.
Do you mind linking your build thread?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

That is not bad at all Bill.
Do you mind linking your build thread?

Hell yeah, I mind! Very Happy

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=198779&highlight=mad+dash+nats

Building an engine Dyno011Medium

https://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/toomanytoyz/ISSCA%20Nats%202K8/?action=view&current=ISSCANats2K8107.flv
Back to top Go down

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 5:45 am

That is the one.

I was glued to your story over the summer. It is one of the best threads on ISSF ever. cheers
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
That is the one.

I was glued to your story over the summer. It is one of the best threads on ISSF ever. cheers

Yeah, that was a fun thread! Smile I really had a blast! And I have like 5K HARD miles on that motor and it still runs like a champ!!! I may just have built it right!!! Very Happy

An in case ya couldn't tell, NO! I don't mind at all! If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

And check with Karl Ellwein. He's clearing out all his building supplies while he takes a year or so off to get married... I got all my rebuild parts from him. If it's just a refresh, you could do it for way less than a grand, even with a cam...
Back to top Go down
QwikImpSS

QwikImpSS

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:45 am

IMPALADAKID - where did you pick your motor up and for how much, I'm looking into a rebuild over the summer.
Back to top Go down

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 pm

QwikImpSS wrote:
IMPALADAKID - where did you pick your motor up and for how much, I'm looking into a rebuild over the summer.
I picked both of them up at Bow Auto Salvage in Bow, NH. $300 ea. They had three, I got two. The first one let go, and they gave me the second one free. Very Happy
The first one and the cleanest of the three was out of a fleetwood with 108k on it, the second came out of a 87k rmw. I had picked the higher milage one over the lower one because it was cleaner and had a ac delco filter, so I had assumed it had been taken care of.
I have their number around some place.
Back to top Go down
QwikImpSS

QwikImpSS

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 5:09 pm

Oh, no need for the number, I know where they are. I got a 350 out of a '99 Tahoe for my auto tech class in high school from them.

Keep us posted on the build!
Back to top Go down

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 am

Bill
Who did your head work? Or did you buy them ready to install?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 9:52 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Bill
Who did your head work? Or did you buy them ready to install?

I got them already done from a buddy of mine. IRC, they were about $3500 worth of heads... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Building an engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building an engine   Building an engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Building an engine
Page 1 of 1