BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Window Regulator Job EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Window Regulator Job EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Window Regulator Job EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Window Regulator Job EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Window Regulator Job EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Window Regulator Job EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Window Regulator Job EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Window Regulator Job EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Window Regulator Job EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Window Regulator Job

Go down 
+3
toomanytoyz
MASShole9C1
Bull
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Window Regulator Job Empty
PostSubject: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 9:27 pm

I replaced the broken plastic "rollers" on one door earlier in the week (with the updated round "buttons") and am doing a second door now.

I was following this thread here since I am a first-timer with this job:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232364

Now, this fellow has you trying to open up the crimped ends of the tracks in order to get the sliders out and the window free. I found this to be infuriating because there is no leverage to be had.

On the second window I decided just to pop the rollers/roller pieces off of the ball studs first, then remove the whole track with rollers still in it. That allowed me to put the track in a vise where I had all kind of access to make uncrimping the ends simple.

Maybe you all already do it that way, but I figured it doesn't hurt anything to make a thread.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Good heads up!

I've never done it. But never considered your specific situation.

I had 1 caprice that needed them done in the rear. Sold it like that.

My 9C1, manual windows. Probably wont ever have an issue.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Good heads up!

I've never done it. But never considered your specific situation.

I had 1 caprice that needed them done in the rear. Sold it like that.

My 9C1, manual windows. Probably wont ever have an issue.

Manual windows are the way to go, simple and no bullshit!

I've had two broken windows since I got the car last fall.  I didn't have the time or desire to do what I expected to be a shitty job until now, since I have the summer off.  Overall, the job isn't so terrible.  I've had enough access for everything, even the 2" clamps to get the new rollers on.  The job hasn't even drawn blood.  I also notice that on these cars GM was kind enough to round off the edges of the sheetmetal under the door panel, around all the access holes.  On older GM cars I have found these edges to be SHARP and still have a scar from getting sliced badly when I was in college.

I hate the idea of applying new lube to dirty old channels, arms, and other window components.  I found that a #0000 steel wool pad with some carb cleaner sprayed on it very quickly cleans all of these parts.  Once they are clean and dry I lube the contact points with a silicone gel that I got in a large tube from NAPA years ago.  Seems to work well.

Sadly these two door panels have been damaged by mechanics or owners pulling on them so hard that the plastic that holds the Christmas tree clips in just tore away.  That sucks when you are down two fasteners; guaranteed loose panel.

And how the Hell do people Dynamat door panels?  There are so many rivets, sheetmetal pieces, connecting rods etc. in the way it seems like it would be a royal pain in the balls to lay sound deadening material.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I always just pried em open in the door. Either a regular pair of pliers or small channel locks work good. Wink Like a 10 minute job to do those damn things now. I did all 4 doors in the fleetwood, at the storage unit, in about half hour... Don't know if that's good or bad. Razz

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
I always just pried em open in the door. Either a regular pair of pliers or small channel locks work good. ;)Like a 10 minute job to do those damn things now. I did all 4 doors in the fleetwood, at the storage unit, in about half hour... Don't know if that's good or bad. Razz

It takes you that little time to remove the panel, drill the rivets, pop the old rollers off the balls, clean and grease the parts, press on the new rollers, line up the track with the window frame, rivet or bolt it into place and reinstall the panel?! Do you have a sombrero and speed blur around you as you work?

I have a drawer stuffed with all kinds of pliers and none of them were making uncrimping the channel ends any fun. There is no space to apply leverage and any force you do apply to the channel causes it and the regulator arms to twist, reducing the force on the crimps. I mean, I'm only on my second one of these, but in my experience the in-door uncrimping was a major ball sucker and I don't see why doing it that way makes more sense than just popping the channel off with rollers intact and taking it to the bench/vise.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:45 am

I've bent the channel and also cut 'em with a dremel. No need for drilling the rivets. The rollers don't don't go anywhere the end of the channel during normal operation and it's OK if you destroy the ends. I don't try to open 'em but just bend them down enough to get the old roller out. You don't need most of the tools in that thread.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 8:15 am

boojum wrote:
I've bent the channel and also cut 'em with a dremel. No need for drilling the rivets. The rollers don't don't go anywhere the end of the channel during normal operation and it's OK if you destroy the ends. I don't try to open 'em but just bend them down enough to get the old roller out. You don't need most of the tools in that thread.

If you don't drill the rivets that means you leave the channel in-place for the whole job?
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:40 am

Bull wrote:
boojum wrote:

If you don't drill the rivets that means you leave the channel in-place for the whole job?  

That's what I have done, it's a PITA, but saves a lot of time.

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 am

Bull wrote:

Yes, I don't even know how to take it out.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:20 am

boojum wrote:
Bull wrote:

Yes, I don't even know how to take it out.

X2. Me neither. Wink

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:47 am

Ah, I see. So I just happened to find and follow a thread from a guy who made the job longer.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:35 am

Bull wrote:
Ah, I see.  So I just happened to find and follow a thread from a guy who made the job longer.

Apparently so. Doh!

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:37 am

I guess I'm in the bend the channel in place group Razz 
Although if its front window rollers I'm replacing I pop the one remaining one off the regulator and pull the glass out so I can work on it outside the car. The front glass is super easy to remove, the rear is a real bitch.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I've been in a hurray & decided to hack it in place

Didnt make me comfortable but it was a necessity

Its way easier if you have time to disconnect & do it right.

Better job too.....if your keeping the vehicle (that eliminates 90% of the above posters...Razz )

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Window Regulator Job   Window Regulator Job Empty

Back to top Go down

Window Regulator Job