BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Does anyone have rear disc setup?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bfurches

Does anyone have rear disc setup? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 pm

I picked up another "substitute rear" for now so I can continue beeting on the car at the track and learning this whole tuning thing...

Anyways...doese anyone have the rear disc backing plates? Preferably an entire setup (backing plates, calipers, rotors and etc)....but at this point I would settle for just the backing plates asap!

Anyone????
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 am

Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but since we, as a community, seem to be stuck on 9C1 or SS backing plates, are there ANY other compatible alternatives??? OTHER GM backing plates?

How hard is it to machine/drill holes to make copies?
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but since we, as a community, seem to be stuck on 9C1 or SS backing plates, are there ANY other compatible alternatives??? OTHER GM backing plates?

How hard is it to machine/drill holes to make copies?

As far as a direct bolt on, the only vehicles that share the same housing ends as out 8.5 10 bolts are some of the full size trucks with the 8.5.

We utilize a different housing end then the g-bodys, camaros or novas that came with the 8.5, so there aftermarket brackets are useless to us.

I have not personally measured, but I am inclined to think that the 14 bolt full floaters may use the same housing ends, which would allow us to use some of the new style Silverado/ Sierra disc brakes, but I can't confirm that just yet.

Regardless....you would have to redrill the 5x5 bolt pattern into the rotor hat.

As far as taking an existing backing plate and machining our housing end pattern into.....that may be a possibility....

EDIT I just looked up the housing end dimensions for us vs the small gm (traditional 8.5 and 7.5 f-body guys).

There is not enough material to redrill the holes if you compare the two bolt patterns in this chart. We would need to start fresh with a new bracket which isn't the end of the world....it's doable. 

http://www.jegs.com/photos/800/873/873-axlehousingendform.gif
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Good info. Good discussion so far. Even tho its a WTB thread.

I figured I'd say something HERE because you are an outside of the box kinda guy and would actually get feedback.

Sitting waiting for an impala ss rear to show up will cause more wrinkles on my forehead.

If "simply" getting some raw stock and making OEM spec backing plates is doable, sign me up.

I'm not going to take apart my 9C1 rear and swap everything over to a "civi" rear. I'd rather just spend the time/money and have both.

Just my .02 on the subject.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Good info. Good discussion so far. Even tho its a WTB thread.

I figured I'd say something HERE because you are an outside of the box kinda guy and would actually get feedback.

Sitting waiting for an impala ss rear to show up will cause more wrinkles on my forehead.

If "simply" getting some raw stock and making OEM spec backing plates is doable, sign me up.

I'm not going to take apart my 9C1 rear and swap everything over to a "civi" rear. I'd rather just spend the time/money and have both.

Just my .02 on the subject.

You got me thinking so I was doing some research.....I "THINK" trailblazer and envoy rear disc brakes would be a direct bolt on if you have the 5x5 patteren drilled in the rotors.

The rotors are almost 13" and the calipers are aluminum single piston.

You would need....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=391034&cc=1432192
http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=18B4804&p=rock
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2721236&cc=1432192

I am almost positive that is the same housing end as the 8.5 large patern.

I imagine these things are a dime a dozen in the salvage yards too (making sourcing the parts quick and easy on the cheap. (as long as you know a competent machinist to put the right bolt pattern in your rotor).
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:47 pm

So there ARE alternatives. 

Now what about, I'm talking strictly 91-96 B body here (all stock 5x5), duplicating the backing plate of this 8.5 10 bolt. 

Unless I'm missing something, you could just go buy the appropriate OEM calipers and what not to make it work since the plate isn't something you can just buy. Then of course, there's the parking brake etc etc.

The reason I bring this up, is the ridiculous plaque of the narrow rear axel on a 9C1.

Instead of waiting and paying a mint for a disk brake rear for an SS, and paying a mint, get a civi axel, put on said machined plates and build your brakes.

Maybe I'm making it too difficult (even for myself)
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 9:20 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
So there ARE alternatives. 

Now what about, I'm talking strictly 91-96 B body here (all stock 5x5), duplicating the backing plate of this 8.5 10 bolt. 

Unless I'm missing something, you could just go buy the appropriate OEM calipers and what not to make it work since the plate isn't something you can just buy. Then of course, there's the parking brake etc etc.

The reason I bring this up, is the ridiculous plaque of the narrow rear axel on a 9C1.

Instead of waiting and paying a mint for a disk brake rear for an SS, and paying a mint, get a civi axel, put on said machined plates and build your brakes.

Maybe I'm making it too difficult (even for myself)

No....actually that makes sense.

The problem with machining a backing plate that uses the stock 9c1/ss calipers, would be the integrated parking brake shoes.

I think the best way to approach this project would be to purchase regular 5x5 impala rear rotors, and use "LT1" 4th gen f-body calipers. (where the caliper is the parking brake).

This way I could machine up a backing plate with the correct spacing for the impala rotor to mount up the f-body caliper and be done. Seems like it would make for a nice little setup too.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Well there you go. 

Maybe your problem is solved.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:32 am

Contact Bill HArper for backing plates

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Figure out how to get them working?

Also, check out these brackets. Both use the Impala SS rotors, and are designed for the large end truck 8.5 axles.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=3259777

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382633
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
Figure out how to get them working?

Also, check out these brackets. Both use the Impala SS rotors, and are designed for the large end truck 8.5 axles.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=3259777

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382633
Now that is a good set of links! It's funny how truck guys can come up with this stuff, but its kinda hard to get out of B body guys.

Thanks for the links!

I have not come up with anything myself since I basically just left it at this thread.
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 7:40 pm

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4066553654.html
Does anyone have rear disc setup? 00r0r_3vDuz60SNS7_600x450
Found these on cl the other day. I drive that way at least once every month. Just throwing it out there. The guy has 2 axles with backing plates.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 9:14 pm

cloud 9 wrote:
http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4066553654.html
Does anyone have rear disc setup? 00r0r_3vDuz60SNS7_600x450
Found these on cl the other day. I drive that way at least once every month. Just throwing it out there. The guy has 2 axles with backing plates.
Yup. That stuffs been posted when I was looking for an SS rear end (got one today)

I posted if anyone could grab one for me aaannnnnd nothing. So hopefully you can help him out.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Well, I'm just want to see if I can make the Impala SS backing plates fit my 86 C10 rear axle. Altho, I could go the Camaro caliper route seeing as I have a Camaro with no engine and rear disc sitting around......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have rear disc setup?   Does anyone have rear disc setup? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have rear disc setup?
Page 1 of 1