BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Bad engine noise/rattle

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
booth9C1SS

booth9C1SS

Bad engine noise/rattle Empty
PostSubject: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:13 pm

My engine sounds TERRIBLE at idle. There is a rattling on the top end somewhere. I've had it off the road and uninsured for the last year or two. Noise goes away at about 1200-1500 rpm.

It will start fine, and I try to run it (idling) every month or so.

This evening I was tinkering with it and decided to take the valve covers off. The passenger side gasket was slightly exposed anyways. I started with the driver's side (easier) and the gasket was good. I tried tightening the 16mm bolt in the center of the rockers. I hope I didn't mess anything up be messing with these. I was able to tighten them all about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. I could have tightened them more, but I didn't want to screw it up. I only did a little to see if there was any improvement.
There was. So I did the other side too. I will get a new gasket set tomorrow as the pass side was damaged. After I tightened the rocker bolts on that side too and re-installed the cover (minus the gasket), I started the engine and it was quiet!

Will this adjustment damage the engine? Is it okay to run it now or should I give up and swap motors?

Thanks guys.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/booth9c1ss
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:31 pm

If you overtighten the rocker arms you can bend valves or cause compression problems.

On the oldskool stuff I'd leave the valve cover off put cardboard around the bottom edge to keep oil in the engine, turn the car on and then loosen each rocker till it chattered and then retighten until no noise was heard.

On an lt1 there might be torque specs that are extremely specific like : Xxx in lbs + 90* or something. I don't have a manual to look at right at the moment.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm

What happens is your compressing your lifters
You could tighten them more & the lifter would compress more.
Dont do it though
The trick is loosening them (to let the liften expand), then slowly tighten until the pushrod touches the roclker with no gap (=0 lash)
Its easier said then done
If you have some miles on the valvetrain & tightening only 1/8 or 1/4 stopped the noise....your good
Dont go further unless you loosen & start again
Hope I read your ? properly
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:06 pm

As long as you didn't go more than 1/8 or 1/4 turn, you'll probably be ok. If you really want to redo it, like Indigo said, doing it running is easiest. Back it off til it makes noise, tighten it til it's quiet, then another 1/4 turn and you're good. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
booth9C1SS

booth9C1SS

PostSubject: Re: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyFri May 17, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks guys.

The car had 280,000+ miles on it. I'm going to replace the valve cover gasket today, then run it and see how it sounds... though only up and down my 200' driveway. Sad until I get it road-worthy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/booth9c1ss
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle EmptyFri May 17, 2013 8:19 am

over the years the lifters build up varnish inside,.after it sits for a while they bleed down , the cup gets caught in the varnish where it never usually rides,.

In the future,.
If you,re doing a start up just to keep the battery good,. keep the rpms up for a few of minutes,.
2g's or so,. its better for it than just idling,. (just wedge a screwdriver in the throttle stop,.

a long term shut down is best done,. if you remove the battery and tend to it out side the car,.
leave the motor be,.

starting up a motor and letting it idle, over and over again,. is the worse thing for the motor,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad engine noise/rattle   Bad engine noise/rattle Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad engine noise/rattle
Page 1 of 1