BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Starting problem EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Starting problem EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Starting problem EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Starting problem EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Starting problem EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Starting problem EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Starting problem EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Starting problem

Go down 
+2
iceman3201
GasTT
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GasTT

GasTT

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Sometimes when I get in my car and turn the key nothing happens. It started about a week ago. I would the key and nothing after a minute of doing this it would finally crank over. It used to do it every so often now it does it every single time. My car is sitting in my driveway right now and I cant drive it because it will not crank. I think it is either my ignition not reading the chip in the key (not the key I have 2 and have tried both) or my 15 year old alarm. Any suggestions? scratch scratch
Back to top Go down

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 pm

GasTT wrote:
Sometimes when I get in my car and turn the key nothing happens. It started about a week ago. I would the key and nothing after a minute of doing this it would finally crank over. It used to do it every so often now it does it every single time. My car is sitting in my driveway right now and I cant drive it because it will not crank. I think it is either my ignition not reading the chip in the key (not the key I have 2 and have tried both) or my 15 year old alarm. Any suggestions? scratch scratch
Are you sure the starter is not going? If it is, try tapping it with a hammer.

And what ever happend to you. The last I have seen of you, you were putting rr in. Then you fell off the planet. Any updates on this mod.
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: staring problem   Starting problem EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:42 pm

yes where have you been? i miss your recipes.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
GasTT

GasTT

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 9:11 pm

rr in and done.

Never thought about it being the starter going, it is new from the swap. The car did start again just a few minutes ago. Starter sounds perfect when it works. It comes and goes and only after the car has been sitting for a few minutes. If I shut the car off and try to start it it will start.
Back to top Go down
JRS9C1

JRS9C1

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Never rule out the fuel pump! I had one that would not start when the car was hot. Went that way for a while and only got worse until it just never worked again. Turns out, I hadn't been putting much gas in the tank and the wires ended up melting and shiz cause of the heat.

I was wondering what happened to you dude. You were here, there, everywhere...then you were gone Sad
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:29 pm

GasTT wrote:
it will not crank. I think it is either my ignition not reading the chip in the key (not the key I have 2 and have tried both) Any suggestions? scratch scratch
Bypassing that is pretty straight forward.
Probably start there if you think thats it.
Passkey light on when this happens?
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:34 am

Remember an old L99 fuel pump may be pushed to it's limit behind an LT1. Especially when the LT1 is not being driven in a smooth "old lady" fashion Wink but you already accounted for that when you did the swap right Suspect
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:25 am

This has absolutely nothing to do with the fuel pump. This is an electrical cranking issue. Sometimes the car does not crank. Not a problem with the car cranking and not firing.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:40 am

when it don't start put a test light on the small wire to the starter then have someone turn it over. I had this on a chevelle it turned out to be a loose conection on the starter battery cable
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:10 pm

On the starter solenoid there is a small guage wire connected right next to the battery connector post. It's the one that loops slightly. I accidentaly knocked it loose once tightening the battery cable connection and the car wouldn't crank right unless the wire happened to be sitting just right. It may be a similar issue for you. Try snugging the wires and see if it fixes the issue. Just remember that torque is not always your friend when tightening the connectors. Don't ask how I know that Embarassed
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Well I found mine like an old timer.
With my key on I jumped the starter & the car fired for maybe 2-4 seconds then died.
Knew it wasnt the starter so my bypass was next (& thats what it was)
EDIT: Bypass kills the fuel pump
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:43 pm

My starter cables were loose so I tightened them but it still did it. I tapped the starter with a pipe and it kicked over. Im gonna exchange this one Ive got a lifetime warranty. I had an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the cat meets the manifold causing a lean condition I think the heat from that is what killed this starter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting problem   Starting problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting problem
Page 1 of 1