BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 0 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Family Car Recommendations EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Family Car Recommendations EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Family Car Recommendations EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Family Car Recommendations EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Family Car Recommendations

Go down 
+7
Matt Trakker
1984twodoor
toomanytoyz
GasTT
96Brougham
Ironfistdog
bladerunner
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bladerunner

bladerunner

Family Car Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Ok so here is the deal. My wife and I just had our first child last summer. She drives an 06 Subaru Impreza wagon, which is way too small. With the rear facing child seat in, my wife is basically jammed right into the dash. Its very uncomfortable for her, but thankfully we do not ride together too often and if we do and she is tired of it, we just take the Impala which has plenty of leg room.

But we are planning on another kid sometime in the next year or so. We need to get a bigger vehicle but I don't want to break the bank. I was planning on selling the Subie myself and then saving another couple grand to buy the next car. That will give me around $10,000. We were thinking a full size SUV like a Tahoe or Expedition, but anything in my price range like that has some high miles, like well over 100k. I am not a big fan of the Honda Pilot or even Explorers or Blazers. I also want to get a good, solid vehicle for my wife, but the less we spend on the car, the more we can save for a house. I am comfortable driving older cars, but my wife is not. What would you guys recommend buying?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Chevy astro van or gmc safari. For a GM you can get them with a 4 cyl. Had one years ago. Thing wouldn't die!
Engine repair from inside the van AAAAAAWESOME!

We also had a 98 Plymouth voyager that was bulletproof.

Don't buy a town and country. Nothing but issues!
Now that I'm dumping the wagon I'm in the market myself!
Trust me, with 2 kids a mini van makes getting in and out effortless. It's a 45 minute battle with a car or suv.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Sienna or Odyssey.. If your taking the van route.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

One of these...

Family Car Recommendations 2008_Chevrolet_Trailblazer-3

Family Car Recommendations 2007_gmc_envoy_4dr-suv_sle_fq_oem_1_500

Family Car Recommendations Buick_rainier_2007_photos_SUV_Exterior_2007-Buick-Rainier-ext-1

Family Car Recommendations 2002_oldsmobile_bravada_4_dr_std_awd_suv-pic-26066

Buick and GMC models offered with a 5.3... then of course there is a Trailblazer SS (Big money..) or a Saab 97x but these are probably pricy too for the same thing..

These can be had within your price range and they are pretty reliable.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

^you forgot about the Isuzu Ascender Smile
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Stay away from the I6 Trailblazers. Huge engine issues. But the 5.3 ones are good. This is coming from a known good GM source that I trust. Wink

I know you said you didn't like the Pilot, but I have a few friends who have them and have had zero issues from new through and past 100K miles. Just oil changes and tires. That's pretty impressive. Good gas mileage too!

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

96Brougham wrote:

LOL good catch.

I hate to say it (only for the sake of the PT Cruiser jokes Razz ) but Billy Mac has the right idea with the HHR. It is a really nice car that has a good degree of utility to it, just food for thought.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm with Crovo on the Pilot. I recommend them to everybody that's asks me "what kind of SUV should I get". Very reliable, very comfortable, decent power & fuel economy. Same goes for the highlanders. I find the Pilot to be better looking, both are great vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 am

The only problem with the Pilot is that you will have to surrender your man-card, put stick figure stickers on the back window, tailgate while talking on the phone, etc... Wink

If you want to go with a used full sized SUV, I'd go with an NBS Tahoe or Yukon. You can get them relatively cheap, they actually get about the same gas mileage or marginally worse as a Honda Pilot/Ridgeline does from the sources I've heard, and if something does break, they are pretty cheap to fix. I've had very few issues with mine aside from the usual rear brake calipers, which I replaced. That wasn't expensive though. I'd avoid the Expeditions and stuff at all costs, the engines in those aren't that great and they are gas guzzlers to boot. Mid sized, I'd actually look at the Pilot or Highlander in spite of me making fun of them.

We have an Astro van for work. It has 230K on it now and still looks presentable. The engine access can be a godsend or a pain, depending on what you want to get to. It's not perfect, and no vehicle is, but they are great vans, simple design with plenty of room in them.

I like Billy's HHR too, for as small as it is overall it seems to have a ton of room inside!
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:26 am

96Brougham wrote:
You forgot the Hummer H3

Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Stay away from the I6 Trailblazers. Huge engine issues. But the 5.3 ones are good. This is coming from a known good GM source that I trust. Wink

.... I will second that.... Arrow

I know you said you didn't like the Pilot, but I have a few friends who have them and have had zero issues from new through and past 100K miles. Just oil changes and tires. That's pretty impressive. Good gas mileage too!

Used car market is very rough, its really hard to find deals on 5 year old vehicles with less than 100k on them for under $10,000. If you are trying to save coin, you have to ignore the high mileage. Look for something well maintained. Look for newer parts, lines, filters, dont just buy because its clean..... Unless your buying new expect to have to spend a little time N money making the vehicle 100%. .......We would all love to jump in and just go, but thats never the case when shopping in New England.

....Chevy Tahoe...... low ownership cost, lots of power & capabilities, retains value longer, and its a chevy.

..... Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander...... low ownership cost, cheap parts, retain their value.

..... Ford Exploder....... parts are readily available, but it's still a ford.

If you want something better on gas but still 4x4/4WD.... I highly recommend the CRV, from what I see with the owners who come to my shop, they tend to have the cheaper repair bills Laughing
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 am

Everyone I know who has those trucks has had good luck with them..... but I don't have any personal experience.

I didn't forget the Ascender, but nobody wants an Isuzu!

Also, the Hummer H3 is on the Canyon/Colorado platform

Those full size GM trucks Matt mentioned are pretty stout.
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 am

If you're not set on an SUV, you could get a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. There's room in the back for an adult between two car seats, fuel economy is about as good as an LT1, and it's not too horrendous in the snow with traction control and good tires. You can get a newish one with low miles in the $10k range, but a lot of them on the used car market are ex-rentals. Better off looking for a private party whose parent or grandparent can't drive anymore. I picked up my '03 Grand Marquis with 70k miles in October for $3k.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 am

See high miles does not bother me at all, but it bothers my wife. She is still stuck in the mindset that anything over 100k is a POS. Heck if were just up to me, I could find plenty in my price range that would suit.

I also mentioned the H3, but she does not like a Hummer, Too flashy.

Basically my quandary is my wife only likes a certain vehicle, mainly the new Tahoes, but wants a brand new or barely used one, which ain't gonna cost 10 g's.

If it were me, I'd get her a RMW Very Happy
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 am

Don't get an h3, those are one of the biggest POS's to ever roll down the assembly line.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

96Brougham wrote:
Don't get an h3, those are one of the biggest POS's to ever roll down the assembly line.

^LOL, I heard that somewhere else too.

I second the Panther-platform Fords, I forgot that. Those are the last of the straight up "cars". Like, that thing should be the picture in the dictionary next to the definition for car. Laughing

They are very simple in design, they last a long time, and as was said, you can find GREAT deals on them, even at Ford dealers. I would look into it, you could even search for a Crown Vic Sport with the floor shift, or the Grand Marquis LSE (?) that had the same thing.

Another car on the bucket list for me actually. Smile
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
96Brougham wrote:

^LOL, I heard that somewhere else too.

I second the Panther-platform Fords, I forgot that. Those are the last of the straight up "cars". Like, that thing should be the picture in the dictionary next to the definition for car. Laughing

They are very simple in design, they last a long time, and as was said, you can find GREAT deals on them, even at Ford dealers. I would look into it, you could even search for a Crown Vic Sport with the floor shift, or the Grand Marquis LSE (?) that had the same thing.

Another car on the bucket list for me actually. Smile

Panther platform Fords make great daily drivers. Comfortable, simple, relatively cheap.

My DD is a 1995 Town car. It has 226,700 or so as of this week. I paid less than 4k and I have put less than 2k into it over 6 years or so. Only issue is that they can tend to drink oil at older ages / high miles. If you don't pay attention it will run dry and kill the motor. Mine is eating about a quart per 1000 miles. The newer cars are supposedly better but I have not owned one yet. I get around 20-21mpg in daily driving. The lowest is maybe 17-18mpg when running errands in town.

As far as bucket list cars go. 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder. More powerful motor, rack and pinion steering, big wheels, and lights. Yes a nice car.

A crown vic sport with the more powerful motor is almost impossible to find. But a nice car if you can find one.

Town cars are the best of the breed. Better sound insulation, seats, minor extras. Only negative is that they are longer (more legroom) and for some people harder to park esp the L edition which is even longer.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:31 pm

A friend of mine is selling a 2002? Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 , with 112k miles. 4.2L 6 cylinder, Light green in color with grey cloth........ $5K

Very clean truck, well maintained, garaged kept. 4k oil change with Mobil 1. He is a Gm certified tech and had all work done right when it needed it including all recalls. Never beating or abused. He bought the truck for his mom who drove it mostly highway miles between Nashua and Manchester, roughly 20 miles each way. No body rust or rot on vehicle, no major scratches, dings, dents, this is a very presentable truck.

figured I let you know before I made a thread for it, interested I can get pics...... comes with full detail. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family Car Recommendations   Family Car Recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Family Car Recommendations
Page 1 of 1