BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Stereo Options EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Stereo Options EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Stereo Options EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Stereo Options EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Stereo Options EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Stereo Options EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Stereo Options EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Stereo Options EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Stereo Options EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Stereo Options

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 8:06 pm

I did use the search function, but got no results, which I can't believe is true.

What do we need to do to fit an aftermarket stereo in these cars? On Crutchfield's website, they only list two receivers as fitting my car, and neither is good. I chatted with one of their product advisors, and he said it is a depth issue. He linked me to one double DIN JVC receiver that seems pretty good. He said it might still be to deep to fit the car, but it would be the closest product to fitting other than the two crappy ones listed and I could give it a shot.

What's the deal here? My '95 RMW has a casette player (useless to me) and FM radio, which I can't stand. Send help!
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 8:13 pm

With an install/wire kits, and antenna adapter, most any single and double din stereos will fit. You can also upgrade to better performing factory head units, some even have speed compensated volume.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Got plenty of experience with radios, if you need a wire harness I have about 4 brand new $6 each, and If you buy the radio and bring it with you qhe you check out the parts hoard I can install it/help you install it.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Scosche at walmart sells everything. Just recommend soldering the wire harness from the radio to the adapter harness. All wires are color matched, so very easy wire. Once the two harnesses are soldered, it is plug and play into the car.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 pm

You got a roadie, right? You need a shallow depth Double DIN unit and appropriate install kit. I got a Pioneer DVD player and install kit off ebay. Have to do some cutting inside the dash to make room.

*Friendly tip* (put you car info in your sig) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Bull

Bull

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
With an install/wire kits, and antenna adapter, most any single and double din stereos will fit. You can also upgrade to better performing factory head units, some even have speed compensated volume.

Keeping the factory look might be nice, but I also like these new units that have USB inputs and Bluetooth and all that jive.

Ironfistdog wrote:
Got plenty of experience with radios, if you need a wire harness I have about 4 brand new $6 each, and If you buy the radio and bring it with you qhe you check out the parts hoard I can install it/help you install it.

That's a kickass offer. I might not be able to wait Ohio I get out to see you, though. I am thinking of rush shipping and getting this sorted out. I don't have a long commute, but I need music! BTW, have you heard yet that you are the elected middleman for my wheel deal with Brian? Very Happy

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Scosche at walmart sells everything. Just recommend soldering the wire harness from the radio to the adapter harness. All wires are color matched, so very easy wire. Once the two harnesses are soldered, it is plug and play into the car.

Good to hear on the simple wiring.

So, what about this issue of there not being enough depth i these cars for the aftermarket receivers? Are the Crutchfield people just wrong? I know I need a single or double DIN mounting kit, but they told me that the aftermarket pieces just won't fit in the space behind the dash.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
You got a roadie, right? You need a shallow depth Double DIN unit and appropriate install kit. I got a Pioneer DVD player and install kit off ebay. Have to do some cutting inside the dash to make room.

*Friendly tip* (put you car info in your sig) Very Happy

Sig updated!

When I search for a shallow double DIN, I get essentially nothing for hits anywhere, except for the cheezeball offerings that Crutchfield said would fit. One is a low-end Dual unit, and the other is some brand I've never heard of...parrot or something.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Bull wrote:
Good to hear on the simple wiring.

So, what about this issue of there not being enough depth i these cars for the aftermarket receivers? Are the Crutchfield people just wrong? I know I need a single or double DIN mounting kit, but they told me that the aftermarket pieces just won't fit in the space behind the dash.
Yes they are. They are salesmen who probably never seen behind a caprice radio. Most kits push they face outward to make up the difference of the depth associated with aftermarket head units. I had one once that was flush, and I just broke the plastic retainer wall behind the radio to make it fit. Crovo put a double din in his roadmaster. I know Cruchfield would say that is impossible.

From Crutchfield for your car. Will work with your choice of head units
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142GM1583B/In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=861

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_103000/Vehicle-specific-Wiring-Harnesses.html?tp=736

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040GM10/Antenna-Adapter.html?tp=1083
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Actually Bill, the 95 and 96 Roadies have a Double DIN from the factory. Wink

Chapel put one in his at a mod day at my house this year, too. I think his was an Alpine?

The Buicks have a specific plug, too. The ones from the Impalas won't work, IIRC. But they are cheap and easy to find on ebay. I think I paid 15 bucks shipped for my dash kit and harness.

If you don't plan on running a ton of RCA's in the back for tv monitors and rear view camera, etc... Then the install is literally 15 minutes.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Bull

Bull

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Chapel put one in his at a mod day at my house this year, too. I think his was an Alpine?

The Buicks have a specific plug, too. The ones from the Impalas won't work, IIRC. But they are cheap and easy to find on ebay. I think I paid 15 bucks shipped for my dash kit and harness.

If you don't plan on running a ton of RCA's in the back for tv monitors and rear view camera, etc... Then the install is literally 15 minutes.

So, I need to buy any double DIN receiver of my choice, a Buick-specific wiring harness/plug, an antenna adapter, and that's it? I'm golden?

I don't think I am running any RCAs out the back. Maybe an amp would be good at some point, but then again I have rarely run amps in my cars. I just want decent sounding tunes in a format that is easy to work with i.e. MP3 player.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
My bad. Sad Mad Surprised
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Ahem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_-ECgi1_ag

If you like factory look, this is ALL you'll need Arrow
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:45 am

1984twodoor wrote:
Ahem...

I do like this factory look but w/an auxiliary port for MP3s.

I found one of these "Monsoon" radios that is apparently for a '99-03 Regal; will that work? It mentions that the amp won't work unless the car its going in has the Monsoon setup.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:37 am

Bull wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Ahem...

I do like this factory look but w/an auxiliary port for MP3s.

I found one of these "Monsoon" radios that is apparently for a '99-03 Regal; will that work? It mentions that the amp won't work unless the car its going in has the Monsoon setup.

Not sure about the size fitting in the dash, but I do remember something about the "blue" connector in the back is all you need to make it work. Someone who actually has a RMW will pipe up soon and give you a better answer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stereo Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Options   Stereo Options Empty

Back to top Go down

Stereo Options
Page 1 of 1