BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
The Plasti Dip thread EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

The Plasti Dip thread

Go down 
+6
bowtiepimp
Ironfistdog
toomanytoyz
96Brougham
Cadet57
MASShole9C1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

The Plasti Dip thread Empty
PostSubject: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Since reading all the banter, doing some research, and watching YouTube, I decided to get a couple cans this morning and try it myself. I went to Home Depot in Mansfield. All they had was black spray cans. So I got 2 and a roll of 2" masking tape. I do wish to do everything in a more glossy finish. Overall, I am very impressed with this product so far. I did 4 coats on everything. I only did what you see on the drivers side and the rear. I left the passenger side alone. Very little prep, but make sure you evenly space the coats. Thats the key along with hot water and soap to prep, and keeping the nozzle about 6"-8" away.
I cleaned the wheels with hot soapy water and a new, clean dish washing sponge.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2329
A little newspaper behind the wheel protects the rotors and such from over spray.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2330
First coat. Light coat. No taping off of the tires is necessary. When you build up the coats, it'll be easy to peel off.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2331
Small pic, but second coat. Cover everything you missed. Now you can concentrate on the different angles.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2336
Here you see I painted over my factory red bowtie center.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2342
No problem. Take a skill blade, or your finger nail and it peels right off in on clean piece!
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2343
Heres the finished wheel product of 4 coats. The rear will have to be redone as some corrosion on the wheel prevented the spray from bonding around the valve stem. But it peels right off like I said.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2353
I had more pics, but my phone did not graduate with the rest of the smart phones and they didnt save.
I also did the door handles, lock cylinder, and 91/92 chrome tail light trim for the hell of it.
Note that I placed the tape about a quarter of an inch from where it would be flush with what you are painting. This is so that you can have a nice easy over spray removal when its built up in enough coats. If you put the tape too close to the edge, and then remove it, the product would have bonded to the tape and would peel away what you had painted.
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2337
finished
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2348
The Plasti Dip thread IMAG_2347
So, for almost $6 a can, you'd be remiss if you didn't try it out on something. It peels away real easy. I know because I did it to the rear wheel already. DO NOT apply in direct sunlight, and shake the can before and during the process. It dries very smooth and even. It even helps take away the eye sore of curb rash. Damn phone...losin' the good pics.... SMH

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm

A friend from the wagon board has been trying to get me to use this, they DO sell a gloss coat at http://www.dipyourcar.com/ I may give this a shot to repair my fricked up wheels. I guess it holds up to brake dust pretty well.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:53 pm

I posted pics in the other plasti dip thread from when I did the chrome window trim on my bimmer not long ago. Holding up just fine, I suggest it to anybody that wants a quick, cheap, and reversible way of trying something out!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 4:55 pm

If it's so easy to peel off, how does it stay stuck when you want it to??? How is it, longevity-wise?

Wheels look good! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:12 pm

That's what I was wondering. Must be some kind of curing time and then it hardens???
Idk I think I'll stick with good ol' tried and true paint for now. It's been working on cars for a century now Very Happy
Maybe to see what something looks like before painting (to get an idea) but I wouldn't trust it in the long run.
Maybe it's just cuz I can envision sraping my bumpers and it melting off into a laffy taffy syrup mess.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
That's what I was wondering. Must be some kind of curing time and then it hardens???
Idk I think I'll stick with good ol' tried and true paint for now. It's been working on cars for a century now Very Happy
Maybe to see what something looks like before painting (to get an idea) but I wouldn't trust it in the long run.
Maybe it's just cuz I can envision sraping my bumpers and it melting off into a laffy taffy syrup mess.

is it flammable? ..... If I peeled up a corner would it catch spark and cover the whole car like lighting a sock on fire?
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Quit asking questions, go out and buy a can, 1 can, and find out for yourself! Wink You don't have to like it, but you can better understand how it works.

EDIT: I DO suggest to anyone, when you know you want your wheels painted and show quality, take them off, clean em real good and do them that way. Angles get covered better and there's no spots or stripes in between the spokes. I'm going to re do them like that when I get some Gloss black and some gloss in a can stuff. But this really helped me make the decision, but I know me, I'll change my mind in a month and wish I never used permanent paint on my SS rims Sad . This is a great alternative for those of us who have multiple personalities lol!

Last edited by MASShole9C1 on Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:54 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Quit asking questions, go out and buy a can, 1 can, and find out for yourself! Wink You don't have to like it, but you can better understand how it works.

.... nope..... Very Happy

..... I just spend $400 on paint instead this weekend..... I like to do things the right way Arrow
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Well Chris, then I don't know why your posting here lol. Start a how to paint your wheels thread. Somebody should do a good in depth body/paint/wax/polish thread. That would help out a lot of guys who are body work illiterate. I'd love for my paint to shine new again without a total makeover. Some of us will just never buy into this product I understand. But don't be the voice for someone that may want to give it a shot. I had fun doing it. Quick and simple. Some people like that. Not everyone wants to sit out in the heat all day sanding a car. Some do. But, to each his own. I'm sure we will continue to argue about paint over plasti dip. If your gonna say its not a good idea, at least say it after you used it and didn't like it. Everyone uses paint, even people who use plasti dip.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 8:21 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Well Chris, then I don't know why your posting here lol.

.... well this is a free forum.... no?..... Not everybody is going to agree with or always like everything you post about.

.... I have my opinion and I gave it. I didn't say you guys are dumb for using it so why you telling me to shut up and kick rocks?

..... I do not believe in short cut gimmicks and I will stat my opinion on the matter every time ( seeing How Im Icar certified for colision repair and im active in the industry).... people do these quick fixes and then 6 months down the road they come to me and say ...... " how do I fix my F**K up " .......

Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 10:03 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:
MASShole9C1 wrote:
Well Chris, then I don't know why your posting here lol.

.... well this is a free forum.... no?..... Not everybody is going to agree with or always like everything you post about.

.... I have my opinion and I gave it. I didn't say you guys are dumb for using it so why you telling me to shut up and kick rocks?

..... I do not believe in short cut gimmicks and I will stat my opinion on the matter every time ( seeing How Im Icar certified for colision repair and im active in the industry).... people do these quick fixes and then 6 months down the road they come to me and say ...... " how do I fix my F**K up " .......

Kind of taking it to the next level here.. Brian was kidding around and even suggested you make a thread about doing it your way.. No need to get hostile over this.. Second plasti dip thread you've chimed in on saying "do it the right way".. Make a nice how to and maybe somebody will use it. This thread is to show the cheap, quick, and reversible way...
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptySun May 27, 2012 10:20 pm

I think it's cool...PlastiDip isn't meant to be "paint" as much as it is something you can fool around with and see if you like how it looks, and if you like it, you can leave it. I definitely wouldn't refer to it as hack work or anything of the sort...I think I might try to black out some stuff on my Tahoe with it when I get a chance, or even my chrome Rally wheels if it sticks to chrome.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 12:52 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
I think it's cool...PlastiDip isn't meant to be "paint" as much as it is something you can fool around with and see if you like how it looks, and if you like it, you can leave it. I definitely wouldn't refer to it as hack work or anything of the sort...I think I might try to black out some stuff on my Tahoe with it when I get a chance, or even my chrome Rally wheels if it sticks to chrome.

I was planning on doing racing stripes on the cougar because I could laugh at it, when I'm done laughing I'd peel it off.

If I wanted permanent stripes I'd have em painted on, or get a vinyl kit or some shit. Not dip it lol.

I wouldn't dip my car I don't think, I would have trouble even rattle canning a car if it was supposed to be a permanent and nice looking job. I'd have someone spray it, or take a stab at it myself.

If you want to out a dick on your buddies hood, use plasti-dip instead of paint or slices of bologna so it will come off after he threatens to kill you Laughing This stuff is good for fun and experiments. And thats about it I think.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 1:11 am

1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

I was planning on doing racing stripes on the cougar because I could laugh at it, when I'm done laughing I'd peel it off.

If I wanted permanent stripes I'd have em painted on, or get a vinyl kit or some shit. Not dip it lol.

I wouldn't dip my car I don't think, I would have trouble even rattle canning a car if it was supposed to be a permanent and nice looking job. I'd have someone spray it, or take a stab at it myself.

If you want to put a dick on your buddies hood, use plasti-dip instead of paint or slices of bologna so it will come off after he threatens to kill you Laughing This stuff is good for fun and experiments. And thats about it I think.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
it's funny cuz ive done it! Apparently some brands of shaving creams remove spray paint when left on overnight, and apparently it's not wise to show up to work late with a dong and set of hairy man grenades etched on the hood of your primer bombed grand prix, I wouldn't know what that feels like but my best friend in high school does! Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:59 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
hairy man grenades
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:47 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

If you want to put a dick on your buddies hood, use plasti-dip instead of paint or slices of bologna so it will come off after he threatens to kill you Laughing This stuff is good for fun and experiments. And thats about it I think.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
it's funny cuz ive done it! Apparently some brands of shaving creams remove spray paint when left on overnight, and apparently it's not wise to show up to work late with a dong and set of hairy man grenades etched on the hood of your primer bombed grand prix, I wouldn't know what that feels like but my best friend in high school does! Razz Razz

Laughing Razz Laughing Indy that's hilarious! For some reason I am glad that you did that to him LOL cheers
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:45 pm

The door handles look like SS versions now. Sad
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I'll be doing the whole car this summer. I need to fix my AC Compressor first...

Now, why am I not doing proper paint? because I cant afford proper prep work and I can't afford a paint job I'd deem adequate.

I don't have the time nor the skill to do the prep and paint myself.

This car is being done on a shoestring budget... $200 gets me a paint job I'll like and it'll help my friend get some more experience spraying this stuff.
Plus, I think it'll be fun and that's why I got this car... to have a bit of fun
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:05 pm

chapel wrote:

Plus, I think it'll be fun and that's why I got this car... to have a bit of fun

Arrow

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Also... IF my paint was perfect or even 'acceptable' I wouldn't be bothered to touch it

but the previous 'respray' looks like it was done outdoors in the rain without the use of masking tape
there's overspray EVERYWHERE
all the rubber seals are 'gold', the black trim bits show overspray... it looks like they didn't even sand the original paint down. Where it's flaking off is lovely shiny paint.

there's also no clearcoat on my existing paint so it looks rather dull. Putting a polishing wheel to it results in paint flaking off en masse.

I'm just debating doing it in black or gray. I want to do the pillars and chrome trim in black (mainly to give the black rubber bits their blackness back) and then the rest of the car in gray.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:58 pm

I sprayed some on a few areas of my take home car today. Boss loves it! I did the chrome on the trunk/tail lights, front and rear bumper trim inserts, and the door handles. Boss has the itch to respray the whole car in a deep black. Obviously not gonna use Plastidip for that. Off to the body shop, then we can finally have the upfitter install our graphics! I still might do the same areas in this stuff tho. It's fun and easy to work with!
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:03 pm

if you ever wanted to use your car as a billboard, spray this stuff on first, then spray or peel on your graphics... once you're done, peel it all off.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:11 pm

chapel wrote:
if you ever wanted to use your car as a billboard, spray this stuff on first, then spray or peel on your graphics... once you're done, peel it all off.
good idea, but not on a cvpi with reflective decals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Plasti Dip thread   The Plasti Dip thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Plasti Dip thread
Page 1 of 1