BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Fleetwood wiring help EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Fleetwood wiring help EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Fleetwood wiring help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Fleetwood wiring help Empty
PostSubject: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm

I have no power to the front parking lamps, and cornering lamps. I have headlights, and turn signals only up front. I found the wire to be light grey with black stripe that powers the four in the headlamps. I can see the back of the headlamp switch, but don't see the grey and black wire. In the fuse box there is a tail lamp circuit, and a parking lamp circuit. The parking lamp circuit has constant power to it, while the tail lamp circuit only has power with the switch, but if I take out the fues for the parking lamps, it kills power to the tail lamp fuse. I am so confused with this, and how far back into the dash the grey and black wire goes. It does not go to the switch, and on the backside of the fuse box, there is a purple wire to the tail lamp fuse, and a orange wire from the parking lamp fuse.

Does anyone have a copy of a wire schematic that they could let me see

Also there is a wire harness with four wires coming down from from the steering column. It is the cruise control wire harness. It has one connector at the end that looks like a spade shaped circuit board. I can not figure out where it plugs into.

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 pm

If I can get my FSMs back before you get an answer, I will help you out. But they're for a 95.

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:03 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
If I can get my FSMs back before you get an answer, I will help you out. But they're for a 95.
Thanks Bill. I have 94 b-body line FSMs, but nothing there for this. Surprised
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh. Then I probably can't help any. Sorry. Sad

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:08 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Oh. Then I probably can't help any. Sorry. Sad
Yeh, I need someone who has a D-body line FSM. study
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Grey and black wire goes to the fuse block
Corner lamps fuse 10a #41

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I have the whole 2 book set of d body manuals...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Grey and black wire goes to the fuse block
Corner lamps fuse 10a #41

Grey and black wire illuminates my parking lamps in the headlights. I put direct power to it at the connector under the air filter box, and all four lights came on. I thought it was a lime green/black stripe wire coming from the parking lamps, but power did not illuminate them .
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

So what's the problem you have no park lights and corners don't light? Any problems with tail lights?
Gimme specifics of what's working and what's not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
So what's the problem you have no park lights and corners don't light? Any problems with tail lights?
Gimme specifics of what's working and what's not.
Everything outback is working. No issues back there. Front turn signals, and headlamps are the only lights working up front, including the horn since it shares the harness. I have no front side marker lamps, no cornering lamps, and no parking lamps in the headlights. Bulbs all good. I can power everything directly at the connector under the air box and every thing works as I move power to each circuit. So I know we have good grounds. But I checked them first.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Ok well tracing the grey/black wire from lights it goes to the fuse block #41 from there it turns to a purple wire and goes to the 87 terminal on the park lamp relay. Coming out if the park lamp relay is orange which goes to the park lamp fuse #31 (20a) which gets it hot all the time from maxi fuse #11. also coming from the park lamp relay is a Brown and white wire that goes to the head lamp switch
My manual is for 1996, but should be close with these circuits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Ok well tracing the grey/black wire from lights it goes to the fuse block #41 from there it turns to a purple wire and goes to the 87 terminal on the park lamp relay. Coming out if the park lamp relay is orange which goes to the park lamp fuse #31 (20a) which gets it hot all the time from maxi fuse #11. also coming from the park lamp relay is a Brown and white wire that goes to the head lamp switch
Sounds correct based on what I saw behind the fuse panel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Sounds correct based on what I saw behind the fuse panel. I wounder if the relay is bad. Now were is the parking lamp relay? There is relays everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm

So do you have power at the relay with a test light?
Before it?
After it?
Power from the switch?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
So do you have power at the relay with a test light?
Before it?
After it?
Power from the switch?
Not sure yet. I did not get that far before I lost day light. I am not sure where the relay is.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Convenience center under the dash drivers side
Should be 6 relays in 2 rows of 3.
Bottom row first one in from left is the park lamp relay
Bottom row last one is the horn relay.

Since both are in the same block and you don't have a horn I would check power going into the whole block.

Last edited by Ironfistdog on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Convenience center under the dash drivers side
Should be 6 relays in 2 rows of 3.
Bottom row first one in from left is the park lamp relay
Bottom row last one isthe horn relay.

Since both are in the same bock and you don't have a horn I would check power going into the whole block.
I have the horn. It works. I only mentioned it since it shares the same harness. Maybe I will try swapping the horn relay with the parking lamp relay. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Ah ok I was confused. The park lamp relay is powered by the #31 fuse check for power there too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
The park lamp relay is powered by the #31 fuse check for power there too.
I have constant power there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Then deductive logic dictates an in operative park lamp relay.

Fleetwood wiring help Dicktracy
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Maybe you need to drive up to a corner before the lights come on....
It IS a caddy after all Arrow
Sometimes you need to think outside the BOX

Not helping?
OK good luck Very Happy

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:26 pm

sdstick wrote:
Maybe you need to drive up to a corner before the lights come on....
It IS a caddy after all Arrow
Sometimes you need to think outside the BOX

Not helping?
OK good luck Very Happy

Lol this is a stock looking fleetwood, shouldnt have to sneak up on hookers like that. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Then deductive logic dictates an in operative park lamp relay.
Before talking to you I had no idea there was a parking lamp relay. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:41 pm

I wasn't being a wise ass jocolor
I just mean I bet dollars to donuts it's that darn relay. Has to be right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
I wasn't being a wise ass jocolor
I just mean I bet dollars to donuts it's that darn relay. Has to be right?
I hope so. I love Donuts. Razz

My biggest concern was that I had found the remains of a remote start system. It was hack going in, and worse when they took it out. All kind of wires cut. I was able to figure uot what was factory, and what was not, and cut out the remote start wires. I was afraid that maybe when they removed the system, and cut the wires, that maybe they had cut the parking light wire. But after getting everything out, it appears to be fine under there.
Now I just have to find out where the cruise control harness plugs in under there. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm at work now, but as soon as I get home I'll take a Peek-a-boo at the manuals again. Arrow
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Online delivered as pdf. $6.00 diagrams & parts (not repair manual)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-FLEETWOOD-BROUGHAM-1980-1996-PART-LIST-MANUAL-/370565562423?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1994%7CMake%3ACadillac%7CModel%3AFleetwood&hash=item56476dc037&vxp=mtr

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:

Also there is a wire harness with four wires coming down from from the steering column. It is the cruise control wire harness. It has one connector at the end that looks like a spade shaped circuit board. I can not figure out where it plugs into.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yup, that's the cruise control. '94 and '95s are different on the ones that I looked at. I think cruise was a rare option on 9C1s so you can just leave it unplugged if you are still going the clone route. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Power to relay, relay works, still no lights. I can't find the grey and black wire under the dash. Not even sure where it goes first once inside. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

It says grey and Black goes to the fuse panel.
If you have a test light I can walk you through the diagnosis listed in the book if you want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
It says grey and Black goes to the fuse panel.
If you have a test light I can walk you through the diagnosis listed in the book if you want.
I have been out there with the test light. Very Happy The parking light fuse #31 has a big fat red wire coming into it, and a small orange wire leaving it. The relay has two powered wires. Both are orange, and two other wires. One was brown or black, I think the other was too. If I pulled the fuse for the parking lights, I lost power at the relay. So far so good. None of the wires I see in the back of the switch match the color of any others that have been mentioned.
Can you take a pic or scan a copy of what you are looking at, and post it Indigo?

Also. What is the last thing in line before the parking lamp bulbs? Is it the fuse, relay, or switch? Is there seperate wires coming from the switch to power front and rear, or one from the switch that powers both? If I can find the last thing before going to the lights, I may just run a new wire from that point.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm

The last thing online before the lamp is the CORNER LAMP FUSE....
Before that fuse is the park relay.

The PARK LAMP FUSE is powered by a maxi fuse (I assume the red wire)
It then has 2 ORANGE wires coming out that BOTH go to the park relay. Out of the relay it should be PURPLE AND BROWN/WHITE
the purple goes to the CORNER LAMP fuse
The brown and white goes to the:
-Remote control door lock
-Central control module (another relay)
-And the head light switch.

The purple wire that goes into the CORNER LAMP FUSE comes out of the fuse and turns black/grey

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
The last thing online before the lamp is the CORNER LAMP FUSE....
Before that fuse is the park relay.

The PARK LAMP FUSE is powered by a maxi fuse (I assume the red wire)
It then has 2 ORANGE wires coming out that BOTH go to the park relay. Out of the relay it should be PURPLE AND BROWN/WHITE
the purple goes to the CORNER LAMP fuse
The brown and white goes to the:
-Remote control door lock
-Central control module (another relay)
-And the head light switch.

The purple wire that goes into the CORNER LAMP FUSE comes out of the fuse and turns black/grey

Any idea where that maxi fuse is located?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Maxi fuse is in the engine bay... HOWEVER that is the source of power, since you already know you have power at the #31 fuse AND at the relay you know it's good there.
Do you have power at the #41 fuse?
How about at the brown/white wire at the headlamp switch?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Another thought Bill, did they not work since you owned the car?
HID's interfering with operation?
I had a set thy made the high beams all screwy one time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Maxi fuse is in the engine bay... HOWEVER that is the source of power, since you already know you have power at the #31 fuse AND at the relay you know it's good there.
Do you have power at the #41 fuse?
How about at the brown/white wire at the headlamp switch?
Power at #31 and #43. not sure about #41. I know the cornering lights do not come on at night when turn signal comes on.

Ironfistdog wrote:
Another thought Bill, did they not work since you owned the car?
HID's interfering with operation?
I had a set thy made the high beams all screwy one time.
Lights have been FUBAR since I purchased the car.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 pm

#41 is specific for the corner lights, but also controls the radio, turn signal switch, and instrument cluster.

If you have any of those working, I'm assuming power is there.
Soo I would check the headlamp switch when set to park lights to see if power is leaving the switch.
After that follow the grey and black wire back to the fuse panel... Turn the park lamps on and probe the wire in small increments from the fuse block down to the lights and see if there is a break.

-OR-

Remove park lamp RELAY
Test light to ground, probe terminals D1 and D3
Light on?---->with relay disconnected, turn park lamp on and connect test light between term D1 and E3 (go to step 2 if light is on 2a if not)
No light?------>break in the orange wires between fuse 31 and relay

Step 2 ( test light is on)----->reinstall relay, test light to ground back probe terminal E1
Is the light on? Go to step 3 if not step 3a
Step 2a (test light off)----->check for break in the white and brown wires coming out of relay... All 3 places the go to, also check black and white GROUND wires if they are ok replace headlamp switch.

Step 3 (light on from step 2) check and repair break in purple wire between relay and fuse 41, if that wire is ok then repair break in black and grey wire between fuse panel and the actual lamps

Step 3a (light off in step 2) check connections at relay connection and if ok replace relay.

Before you ask the terminals being probed in the relay terminal are as follows:

D1- top left (85)
D3- top right (30)
E3- bottom left (86)
E1- bottom center (87)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Gota get this fixed now. My Inspection guy, (Yes I actually know a guy Razz ) said no way without the lights.

Indigo
Is there a twilight sentinel module like on the other b-bodys? Is any of the wires that are suspect run through it?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 pm

I really wish you had the time to come down so we could chase wires.
How are the grounds to the actual sockets? My Caddy has a broken socket right now and it causes the turn signal in one side to blink really quickly.

The twilight sentinel circuit is separate from the park lamp circuit.
I believe full head lights come on at twilight. Corner lamps have nothing to do with sentinel
Did you follow the steps I listed above?
What did the test light say?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Mystery solved! cheers Indigo, you are the man! I found the cornering lamp 10 amp fuse #41 blown. Replaced it, and everything else came back too.
Very Happy
Thank you so very much. I probably would have never looked at that fuse. I was thinking the problem with the parking lights kept the cornering lamps from coming on, not the other way around.

Now if I can just figure out why my locks unlock and then lock when I put the car in park. They should lock when the car goes into gear, and unlock when you put it in park.

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow

Glad that worked out. Ok problem 2:
LOCKS

so hen you put it in gear doors lock as they should?
And when you stop they unlock and then lock?

Check it now that you repaired the fuse.....Auto Door locks run on that circuit too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow

Glad that worked out. Ok problem 2:
LOCKS

so hen you put it in gear doors lock as they should?
And when you stop they unlock and then lock?

Check it now that you repaired the fuse.....Auto Door locks run on that circuit too.
Locks do nothing until I put it from gear to park. Then they lock and then unlock.

I will check to see if they are functioning correctly now. Thank you so very much. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fleetwood wiring help   Fleetwood wiring help Empty

Back to top Go down

Fleetwood wiring help
Page 1 of 1