BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Worst day ever! EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Worst day ever! EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Worst day ever! EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Worst day ever! EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Worst day ever! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Worst day ever! EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Worst day ever! EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Worst day ever! EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Worst day ever! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Worst day ever!

Go down 
+5
Tomz9C1
toomanytoyz
Matt Trakker
Cadet57
Ironfistdog
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Got them 20" rims from Anthony the other day, not bad, driver quality, but will work out. went to get tires and no one seemed to have anything or have anything i liked the price on... going against my better judgement i went to Town Fair Surprised No Surprised

got a set or 255/ 35 20's for a little over $600 (with mount and balance)

serioulsly I brought them the rims and there wasnt even old tires on them. I waited for almost 2 hrs.

but was worth it.... changed the whole look of the car.

Worst day ever! Img00120

after I mounted them on the car i took it for a little spin andI think I lost some balancing weights cuz it made a hell of a noise when i got it going and I heard something like fire crackers under the floor pan.

got it back home and looked like i lost a few on each of the wheels. I re-torqued the lugs and took it out again.... no shake or shimmy or anything, so I was just gonna bring it back this weekend to get them checked at a good trusted tire place here in town.

took it to work the last couple days and they ran great. (I drive about 30 mi to work,).....
This morning I left work and started the ride home, all of a sudden I hear this rapping slowly getting louder. I pulled over and got out, everything looked good nothing hanging down or dragging. got back in the car and drove maybe a 1/4 mile and pulled into a gas station to really look. i forgot my sockets and all my tools at home so I couldnt check the lugs or do much. Town fair Tire was about 3 miles up the road so I figured I'd just try and bring it there and see if they could re-balance the rims or check it out to see what was up.... put my hazards on and drove like 15-20 miles an hour up the road, all of a sudden the noise stopped so I got it going a little faster, just as I'm hitting 35-40 i see the front drivers wheel bounce up and off the Drivers side window and saw it roll down the road in my rear view....... needless to say I didnt drive far on 3 wheels before the front took a nose dive and dragged down the street on the rotor and front fender. . .
all 5 studs were still there but bent in at 45*'s I'm assuming the lugs vibrated loose as i had wheel locks on so I know no one loosened them.......it was a REALLY LONG MORNING. Mad Surprised Shocked Shocked Crying or Very sad Embarassed Sad Sad

Worst day ever! Img00121

got the fender off and swapped on one from the DGGM, but its a real crappy fender at the bottom, it'll do for now i guess, also the inner fender is all twisted up and will never be the same. Glad I got a parts car Arrow Arrow Arrow

I hope the rim that came off is ok, I'm gonna try and bring it to Firestone or another place around here thats been in business for like 40 yrs to see if they think its safe to drive on.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 pm

that. freakin. sucks. Flippin r-tards at Town Fair. Poor car Sad
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:05 pm

at least its only a front fender, inner fender and rotor. (the door looks bent too), its all replaced but the inner well and door. it couldve been worse... im just hoping the rim is ok. i cant return the tires and cant afford new rims for them if this one is messed up. it looks ok, im concerned about the bolt holes.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Jesus christ if they aren't overtorquing them and rounding the lugs off, you got wheels flying off the car! Glad you're okay and the car's not totaled! If you do a search on here you can see what they did to the SS wheels I had on my 93. They also put bang-on weights on when I asked for stick ons... Mad
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:17 pm

yeah they put both on these, i think i lost the stick on ones. i'll post pics on the car tomorrow. looks like that crappy 88 caprice from hustle and flow lol. the fender is off a little, shimming it was a B!%*H i think its being held back by the inner fender being so messed up. I was tired and worked on it til 1pm, i gotta go to work in an hour (last day) so my weekend will consist on me messing with this instead of working on the white one Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Well, if the rim is messed up they'll be buying you a new set and paying to get the car repaired. Stupid idiots.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Idk, I'd have to prove that they f'ed up the balancing, and that's what caused the lugs to back off, I mounted the rims to the car, I didn't use a torque wrench, I should have, it was in the garage, I was just to lazy to go find a 1/2 drive 13/16 socket. Guess I learned a valuable lesson in keeping tools in the car, and torquing lugs to 100 ft LBS.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 1:14 am

Damn. That sucks. Sad

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 4:46 am

Your lucky, I just lose drive shafts. For real , that sucks!
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:47 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
Idk, I'd have to prove that they f'ed up the balancing, and that's what caused the lugs to back off, I mounted the rims to the car, I didn't use a torque wrench,

so you believe the balancing made the wheel fall off ??? Sorry I don't buy it.. good luck convincing them its their fault. Oh.. go check the others to make sure they are tight.
Back to top Go down
laidlow91

laidlow91

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:16 am

WOW... that really sucks.
ive never lost a wheel, but have been in the car with 2 people who have.
not fun at all. pale
hope the wheel is ok.

those do look great on your car. lol!
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:29 am

Cadet57 wrote:
Well, if the rim is messed up they'll be buying you a new set and paying to get the car repaired. Stupid idiots.

They won't if they read his first post.

"I re-torqued the lugs and took it out again.... no shake or shimmy or anything, so I was just gonna bring it back this weekend to get them checked at a good trusted tire place here in town. "

Been there, done that. Lost one on a 77 cheby pu. Its quite a ride!
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 am

Grumpy wrote:
Ironfistdog wrote:
Idk, I'd have to prove that they f'ed up the balancing, and that's what caused the lugs to back off, I mounted the rims to the car, I didn't use a torque wrench,

so you believe the balancing made the wheel fall off ??? Sorry I don't buy it.. good luck convincing them its their fault. Oh.. go check the others to make sure they are tight.

I think the wheel being unbalanced helped loosen the lugs, only because that is the exact tire that lost the weights... its my fault for not checking them, its also my fault for not getting on re-balancing it.

all 3 others are still nice and tight.

i have no intention of going after or contacting town fair tire in any way. they wouldnt do anything for me besides checking the balance, this is the 3rd time they have messed up a tire/mount/balance on me (this specific store, not TFT in general)

my main thing right now is making sure the rim is ok for re installing... i dont know if i want to put them on her car, i dont want to in any way risk the safety of my daughter. they may go on my car for a minute until i get the 13's mounted and the air bags go in.

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Nothing worse then losing a wheel.
Did that in a vet before.
Felt it start to go off balance.
As I pulled into the breakdown lane & jumped the tiny curb to get off the highway the tire came off & took the rear 1/4 with it.
Same situation, no one was trying to steal it so it was my own fault.
Hey, live & learn. Glad your alright.

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:43 am

No Moa wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

They won't if they read his first post.

"I re-torqued the lugs and took it out again.... no shake or shimmy or anything, so I was just gonna bring it back this weekend to get them checked at a good trusted tire place here in town. "

Been there, done that. Lost one on a 77 cheby pu. Its quite a ride!

Musta missed that part Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Worst day ever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst day ever!   Worst day ever! Empty

Back to top Go down

Worst day ever!
Page 1 of 1