BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...

Go down 
+4
boojum
GasTT
96slowss
MASShole9C1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... Empty
PostSubject: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Given that the 95 probably wont sell, i need it to run so i bought an opti, seal/gaskets, plugs and wires. And it'll be a plus if someone did want to buy it Very Happy The car is literally frozen in the snow bank(as it gets no sun) in my driveway with no way to work from the front, only the fenders..

I got the hoses, connectors, and intake junk out of the way. The water pump was easy, and it dpoesnt appear to be leaking yet, tho i know its practical to change it at this point, but theres no cash for that at the moment, unless i get a real cheapo.

Next is the the balancer. What it the best way to pull it. Im new to this as its my first...lol. I need advice, tips, what not to do, and what to do when it comes time to pull the opti.

Installing the opti questions and queries will follow another day.

Thanks

Heres what I found, very dirty, oil seal leaking everywhere etc. No wonder it doesnt work right.
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... 0203111554-01
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... 0203111554-00
1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... 0203111555-00
Back to top Go down
96slowss

96slowss

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm

get a puller for the pulley. i got a way with using a steering wheel puller that i had. next time ill use the right puller.. three 10mm's i bielive take off the opti. make sure u are careful with the vent tubes for it. the small and can brake easy if there old.. then spray down thefront of the motor with break cleaner and what not. make sure 2 do al ur seals. its worth the cheap money while u have it all apart. and getting the new wires in is pretty easy on the drivers side but the pass. side is alittle bit of a pain with tge ac comp. in the way.. have fun with it and make sure u line up the new opti back on the shaft right!!
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 6:32 pm

New seals are a must while you have everything apart.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 6:44 pm

As far as seals go, I ordered the whole kit. Gonna spray it down some more before I leave tonight, and in the morning. When i pick up my huge shopping list at Advance tm, i will get a puller that fits my needs Very Happy Is it possible to screw up the allignment of the opti? Does the balancer have to go back on a certain way? Should I mark it? I dont think it matters. Doesnt hurt to ask...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Here is my opti tear down. And yes to what Tim said. You need to replace both the opti seal, and water pump drive seal. Both go on dry, and you
need a tool for the w/p drive seal. You can make one out of a magic marker. Buy the felpro front cover kit. It comes with all gaskets and seal
including the two that go on the back snout of the opti. Just a dab of oil on them before reinstalling. You will need teflon tape or liquid teflon for the
six water pump bolts as they go into water jackets.
https://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/t341-tearing-down-and-rebuild-of-a-opti

And page one takes you through the steps of replacement.
https://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/t2280-my-new-winter-beater?highlight=my+winter+beeater
Crovo has a good writeup as well on the national forum.

There is three bolts that hold the balancer to the hub. The pointy spot on the balancer lines up with a little pointer on the hub between two bolt holes, and will leave a mark on the back side of the balancer where it was.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Check the FelPro kit for the right seals. I got a couple with missing or the wrong parts.

Next time I'm going to try Chandler Motor Sports for an opti. There's a bunch of folk on the camaro forum that use them.

I would replace or at least check the vacuum harness.

You can rent a puller from Auto Zone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:39 pm

Also sand and oil the hub snout, and the hole in the balancer it goes into. You can then just tap it on with a few light hits of a hammer during reassembly.

You will use everything in this kit, BUT the front main seal
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Timing-Cover-Gasket/1995-Chevrolet-Caprice/_/N-j1erqZ8znn8?counter=0&itemIdentifier=73664_188051_0_

Last edited by IMPALADAKID on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Another good Video from Goldmaster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDuoebEAJE
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Good luck Brian. These guys are steerin' ya right. Smile

And it seems they all look like that when you pull the water pump off. Sad

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Brian, you can test start it once you have the opti and associated wiring hooked up, just for a few seconds though. BTW , DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THE WATER PUMP DRIVE COUPLING!!!!!!! I've heard stories of people that have done that. Sad

'
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

alright, we had a warm day sunday, so the car would actually start now, put it back together to bring to a friends shop. New opti, plugs, and wires done, car has the same problem. Original plugs black as hell, all fouled out with a rich condition that resembles a 70's dragster. Runs at 150rpm and quits. Checked ground on pcm, ran again long enough to catch a code 36 for the opti. Bad opti out of the box. GM tech friend says its a hit or miss even with GM stuff. What a garbage system the opti is. Swapping a loaner from the parts store in the morning, and we'll see what happens...Ive been carless(in a sense of preservation for the 9c1) for two weeks. Its time to break the 9c1 out and just wash it every week until i can buy a newer car.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:01 pm

That sucks. Sad Did you try swapping the opti harness? Just try swapping the one out of your 9C1 to see if it cures it.

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 pm

I dont want to tear my 9c1 apart for this car. I paid too much for it and have put a good amount of $ in to it since. I want to see it go.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 pm

It just takes a second to swap it over and see if it fixes the problem, then put it back. Wink

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 pm

if its not the opti, that'll be the next step then. where does it end at? Ive never bothered to follow it... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 pm

I know your discouraged Brian, but don't give up. I've been there. Did you change your Oxygen sensors?
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I would check the coolant temperature sensor/wiring. Scan it and see what the temperature reads. Or search the web for a resistance/temperature chart.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Also try this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRcgdo4tfFo
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 am

No need to drain the coolant. Just hold a shop vac hose near the sensor and make the change quickly.

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:52 am

Im not discouraged really. I am not feeling, the work that this needs right now. The 02 sensors would throw a code,but havnt. how would they effect the problem at hand? It wonnt even go into the loop if the car cant warm up. pulled an 02 sensor anyway, no difference. The car ran great, then it got freezing out, and it runs(if at all) like striaght garbage. The guy I bought this car from, knew about the problem and that pisses me off. I even got steered in the wrong direction. Caprice for parts $1000. It has Bonnies Very Happy Just waiting on the new-new opti, and we will go from there
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Heres how it happened. Put the new opti in, the car wouldnt run and spit out a code 36. So, after some assorted testing, we ended up going back to exchange the new opti. 2 days later, we went to pick up the new one, it was for a honda... Shocked so, when the new one came in, hooked it up, now it runs. so, wires, opti, and my last shred of patience, and we are done. water pump goes on tomorrow and I can go back to my regular routine. Im not gonna sell it, Im gonna do some touch up paint/detailing, undercoat, repair the rust, gas tank straps, heater core, and what not over the next few weeks pending the weather forecast Very Happy Thanks for your help eveyone!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Heh, so that debacle made you want to keep the car after your work? I don't blame ya. Smile
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 am

Yea, I tried to jump the gun on this project. I popped some riddlin and sat on my hands this time around.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 7:11 am

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Yea, I tried to jump the gun ........

Looks like you fit right in.
Looking forward to your next 4 FOR SALE posts... Razz

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...   1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such... Empty

Back to top Go down

1st opti Ive ever changed...advice and such...
Page 1 of 1