BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Anyone snowblowah savvy?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Anyone snowblowah savvy? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone snowblowah savvy?   Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 pm

I have one of the old 70s orange and white Ariens 924 snowblowers, a 1978 model to be specific. It has an 8hp Tecumseh on it.

The thing was serviced every year at Maestranzi Bros for decades and was very well maintained, but it's got a weird problem bogging down sometimes when it's under a heavy load, after being warmed up. It stalled on me a couple times too, wouldn't start, had to let it set for a little while and it would start back up on the first pull. As a precursor to the problem the engine surges up and down like a car with a bad vacuum leak, and it just doesn't seem to throw or cut through the snow like it should.

I'm thinking it might be an ignition problem like a coil, this last storm part of a snowbank fell on top of the engine and that seemed to exacerbate the problem as it started "doing it" right before that. Last storm I had no problems. The plug's new, I just changed the oil, I always run clean gas through it.

I probably won't bother messing with it until springtime because it still gets the job done and it's too damn cold for me to bother with it, but I thought maybe someone here might have experience with these things. It's a great machine otherwise!

On that note, anyone else have one of these? Everyone tells me to hang onto it.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone snowblowah savvy?   Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Hunting is alost always caused by a lean fuel ratio
(partially clogged or misadjusted carb or air leak).
Here...start around pg 26
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone snowblowah savvy?   Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks for the tip man, I honestly wasn't sure about that. Then I remembered seeing gas drip out of the carb onto the ground a few times, LOL.

This machine did sit for a few years, the carb probably needs to be gone through.

Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Anyone snowblowah savvy?   Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Between the ethanol and sitting, that carb is overdue for a cleaning/rebuild before it leans out and pops a piston. Snowmobiles are the same way. If you have had a dealer "Go through it" this should have already been done, otherwise they are hacks

Doug

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone snowblowah savvy?   Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Pooge wrote:
Between the ethanol and sitting, that carb is overdue for a cleaning/rebuild before it leans out and pops a piston. Snowmobiles are the same way. If you have had a dealer "Go through it" this should have already been done, otherwise they are hacks

Doug

The dealer service was done before I got it, my friend traded it to me for painting a plow for him a while back, lol. A friend of a friend apparently/indirectly offered to "tune it up" for me without me even asking, but then that turned into "Yeah, well, it'd probably be like 150 bucks, plus a hundred bucks in pahhts". I promptly said "Yeahhh..no." Laughing

Another friend of mine was a snowblower service tech for a hardware store so I'm thinking I'll ask him. It honestly doesn't run that bad at all, this is kind of a freak intermittent thing it does. I keep old gas out of it and I also put a small amount of TCW-3 oil in my fuel to keep it clean. I know there's no air cleaner on these engines for snow apps. but I'm guessing fuel shouldn't drip out of the carb onto the ground. lol
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone snowblowah savvy?   Anyone snowblowah savvy? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Does it have a primer?
Does the fuel drip only when you prime it? cuz that happens NBD
If its dripping just when it has gas in it the float is ef'd up
probably dirt on the seat, the hunting is adjustment
Problem is theyre usually a beeach to get at

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down