BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 0 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
The powertrain for the monte... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
The powertrain for the monte... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
The powertrain for the monte... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

The powertrain for the monte...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bfurches

The powertrain for the monte... Empty
PostSubject: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:52 pm

So I scored pretty big this week.

I found a guy in ct that had a 4.8 vortec motor from a gmc truck, ls based engine. (same motor as the 5.3 with a shorter stroke).
He claims it only had 40k and was smashed hard in the side.
He had the complete package....motor, harness, computer, all the accessories (starter, alt w/p etc), 4l60e trans with convertor, y pipe with the cats and etc...

I scored the entire package for 400.00!!! Twisted Evil

I already sold the trans, computer and harness, and cats...since Im going carb anyways.
Needless to say...that all paid for the motor and then some Smile

I am going to grab a set of forged 5.3 pistons for the motor, arp head studs, mls gaskets and some arp rod bolts.
It is NUTZ how many guys are running low 10's high 9's on BONE stock 4.8/5.3's. Im talking even stock head gaskets lol.

I picked up my turbo and intercooler and plan on throwing some big boy boost at the car.
I will throw up some pics of the new motor tonight!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Your going to carb a turboed 4.8 LSx engine? scratch
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Nice, that little motor is actually pretty sweet in my friends (moms) yukon that he tends to drive more than his tahoe. It really pulls and sounds pretty sweet with stock single exhaust. I wonder what it sounds like with you're type of exhaust-basically none lol.

Yeah...which car gets the turbo Question
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:15 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Your going to carb a turboed 4.8 LSx engine? scratch

yup Smile

blow through...the only way to go elephant

Just to give you an idea...here are a few videos of my friends and there turbo carb cars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXTnCsHWbQ&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G148uFd4LYk&feature=related

...the turbo capri has been 8.9 @ 150mph Smile

Last edited by bfurches on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 pm

I thought this was going to be your driver, sounds like you're planning on a little something more to me.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
I thought this was going to be your driver, sounds like you're planning on a little something more to me.

...yea plans changed lol.

This is going to be the drag car. We started a frame off and we are getting ready for the mini tub/ body work. The car is too nice to wreck as a daily driver.

I bought a 95 grand prix for a daily driver ( a lot more practical lol).

....so when you comming up to help lol
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 pm

bfurches wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:

...yea plans changed lol.

This is going to be the drag car. We started a frame off and we are getting ready for the mini tub/ body work. The car is too nice to wreck as a daily driver.

I bought a 95 grand prix for a daily driver ( a lot more practical lol).

....so when you comming up to help lol

So two drag cars? I like your style lol. Whats the GP got in it? 3.1? I almost bought one of those instead of my cougar, the girl that bought it spent 1200 in repairs a few weeks after the lemon law 30 days were up Rolling Eyes glad i passed on it.

Hey once I have a free day and want to make the trip I will lol. I'll PM if i get a Saturday or something off, but I need to build up the savings account again, too much spending and not enough earning. But once I could I'd love to come down to help/learn a few things.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 pm

caprice is a street car Smile

Monte will be a drag car....that just happens to be registered and insured and driven on nice days Smile

your welcome down any time man. I got an extra rear end and gear set for you that you need to take away. If you come up with a truck you can feel free to scoop it up for free (need the room).

Edit: yea, gp has a 3.1.....and oddly enough it smells identical to my first car lol.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm

bfurches wrote:
caprice is a street car Smile

Monte will be a drag car....that just happens to be registered and insured and driven on nice days Smile

your welcome down any time man. I got an extra rear end and gear set for you that you need to take away. If you come up with a truck you can feel free to scoop it up for free (need the room).

Edit: yea, gp has a 3.1.....and oddly enough it smells identical to my first car lol.

Leave the motor and toss some mufflers on it and call it a street car Smile

Nice, I'd like to at least re-gear because this stock highway gear is no fun, and hell, why not have a spare rear end right? lol My dad loved the 3.1 he had in his corsica, it spun the tires for him, I liked that as a little kid Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The powertrain for the monte...   The powertrain for the monte... Empty

Back to top Go down

The powertrain for the monte...
Page 1 of 1