BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Getting laid off sucks EmptyYesterday at 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Getting laid off sucks EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Getting laid off sucks EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Getting laid off sucks EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Getting laid off sucks EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Getting laid off sucks

Go down 
+5
JRS9C1
QwikImpSS
bammax
GasTT
toomanytoyz
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Getting laid off sucks Empty
PostSubject: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 am

I was laid off back in september from a company I had worked for for over 5 years due to cut backs and lack of work. Now it seems I am once again under the chopping block. As of Arpril 1st I will be without a job. Last one in, first one out. My new company did have layoffs, and I was spared, but not this time. It does gives me some time to look, but really I have no time to take off, as I still have to work to pay bills.

Finding a job in the plumbing field right now is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Two of the biggest companies in the area have layed off most of their plumbers, and one of those companies had 50 plumbers last year, and have none on their payroll today.
I have been wanting to get out of plumbing for some time now, but I was hoping it would be on my own terms.

A little light in all of this is a dealership right down the road is looking for a service writer, and Fairpoint is hiring. At 40 I am getting to old to change careers, but I got out of autobody painting and got into plumbing when the doctors told me I had to find something else to do after I got upper respiratory problems. So this is just another challenge like that.

Hopfully I find something before the deadline. scratch

GWS economy Mad
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 am

Damn Dude. That totally sucks. Sad

My mother just got laid off from her job a couple weeks ago. These are some tough times. Sad

Keep your head up, you'll do just fine. And if yu can get into Fairpoint, it's a good Union job with great pay and AWESOME bennies!!! I don't think there's a "buddy in" on this, but if you go to Fairpoint.com and apply, LMK. I'll call my boss and see how far I can push the word up the ladder...

GWS plumbing jobs. Sad

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am

Jobs are tough to come by now a days. I'm lucky I have a good job. My mother and her boyfriend have been without jobs for a while down in Florida. They pay like crap down there too.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Some places will let you live rent free in exchange for being the maintanance guy for the building or complex. If your whole complex is run by a single firm you may talk to them about some kind of arrangement where your rent is cut in exchange for doing emergency repairs, being the contact person and providing tours to new tenants and such. Plus if there is something major going on they would have someone right there to call the necessary people. It's slim odds but it's worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
QwikImpSS

QwikImpSS

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm sorry to hear about that. Fortunately I am still gainfully employed but my father was laid off from his job back in the fall. He's a certified master electrician, certified in NH, MA, VT, ME AND RI and can't find work!!! He's a bit older (pushing 60) so it will probably be easier for you to find something than it will for him but it sucks now out there. My fiance just got laid off from Autofair Hyundai back in November and hasn't been able to find anything either, she literally just returned from a job interview with a family friend who own's a Sub-Way in town, gotta get something!

Anyways, sorry for my little rant. It sucks to hear about that and I wish you the vey best of luck finding new employment!!!
Back to top Go down
JRS9C1

JRS9C1

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Sorry to hear to hear about it No That really blows, I was out of work for a while too, and luckily just scored this new deal. Hang in there!
Back to top Go down
UberWagon

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Man that does suck! I wish you the best of luck in the search for another job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Thank you for your supportive words everyone.

I have to tell you, this has really knocked the wind out of my sails.

I try not to think about it, as I get that feeling way down in my gut that this may not end well.

I will just have to pound the street when ever I have a chance.
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:45 pm

im sorry to here that ,everthing is going to hell in a hand basket,im sure hoping u (and all else in the same boat) finds something soon ,well they say when one door closes another opens..hell u got a 4 door
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey Bill

Chin Up! Being a construction electrician for 37 years, I went through many times what you are going through. It is no picnic. It gets the best of you for a few days, but then you pick yourself up and get going. As you know in construction your always hoping to make it through the winter because spring and summer were alway better. You made it through the winter. I know you are a go getter!

If you wanted to get out of plumbing, go for it. It doesn't hurt to be versatile. Forty is young, a week from Saturday I'm 60 (don't believe what my profile says, I am not 15 like it says, just look and act it). Being an electrician was the backbone of my working career, but I have owned a campground for 7 years, currently have a youth sports photography business for 17 years and at 47 I went and got a computer technology degree. To think you will be doing one thing for your life, does not happen for a lot of us, but we find our way.

Bill, things will be brighter and soon!

Tom
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 am

I don't know how it is up there but down here there are some temp agencies that specifically handle construction. You walk in to the office at 6 am ready to work and they send you directly over to a site. Something like that might help you pay the bills until you find something more permanent.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Hey Bill

I was down in Durham, picking my daughter up at UNH. I noticed at least one good size building being constructed there, all temporarily enclosed. May need plumbers.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:49 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Hey Bill

I was down in Durham, picking my daughter up at UNH. I noticed at least one good size building being constructed there, all temporarily enclosed. May need plumbers.

Tom
Thank you Tom

I will have to look into that after work today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Got my walking papers today. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
laidlow91

laidlow91

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:10 pm

OUCH!!!! No
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:39 pm

Ugh!!!

It's OK to be down in the dumps for a couple of days, but then pick yourself up by the bootstrap and move on. One door shuts and another one opens.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:55 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Ugh!!!

It's OK to be down in the dumps for a couple of days, but then pick yourself up by the bootstrap and move on. One door shuts and another one opens.

Tom
To tell you the truth Tom, I am actually in good spirits about it. I can only assume because I knew it was coming and now it has. But I do have lump in my gut about it. If that makes sense. Plus with some other things going on right now with us, loosing a job seems less important.

When life gives you lemons. Build a lemonade stand. cheers

Thank you for the words. They mean alot.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 8:56 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:

Do the papers actually walk around and you have to catch them?

Sad

I do, however, have some plumbing work here that I could throw your way. Smile A garage sink for the mod day would be nice... Wink

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 9:27 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

Do the papers actually walk around and you have to catch them?
No
The papers were handed to me, and I had to walk out the door with them. geek

Sad
toomanytoyz wrote:

I do, however, have some plumbing work here that I could throw your way. Smile A garage sink for the mod day would be nice... Wink
I seem to have some free time availible. Thanks Man. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting laid off sucks   Getting laid off sucks Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting laid off sucks
Page 1 of 1