BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Great! A couple more problems! EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Great! A couple more problems! EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Great! A couple more problems! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Great! A couple more problems!

Go down 
+2
bammax
96Brougham
6 posters
AuthorMessage
96Brougham

Great! A couple more problems! Empty
PostSubject: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Well, for the past 3 weeks my transmission has been making a "whining/moaning" noise. NOT while in P or N, only while in D or R.Even if i put it in gear and hold the brake down, give it some gas, you can hear it. As I increase RPM's, the whining gets louder. Seems to shift fine, but the noise has gotten louder over the last week. Great! Then, today, I bring my car into work for an oil change. Get it up on the lift, Coolant leak! From the rear, the Intake Manifold is leaking. AWESOME! I'm honestly about to get out of the b-body game and take a big hit on the car. Ive got over 5 grand(including cost) into it since MARCH. I cant afford a transmission rebuild, nor do I have time to do the intake gasket. Couldnt be ANY more aggravated with this car. I want a 98-05 GS400 anyways.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:48 am

These cars are known to have very specific problems. If you don't like dealing with transmissions, optis or electrical gremlins then find yourself an older version of the car or "downgrade" yours to a more reliable form. I'd rather swap out a bad 4l60 for a 700-r4 or 200-4r and never look back. I'm also partial to carb engines for the same reasons. The do make carb conversions for less money then you would think. Plus then you can run a non-computer controlled trans and it won't go to hell on you every couple years.

I'm probably not a good one to listen to though. I followed my own advice and everyone teased me for it. Something about how the club isn't ment for them old cars. By the way, mine has tons of problems and it still feels more reliable then the 95 did with half as many issues Wink
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:29 am

sorry to hear that paul. do you think its the tranny? hate to see you get rid of the car. when i bought mine i had the dealer change the intake manifold gasket. had a oil leak. i have the time but no place to work on it if i had to. wish i could help.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

Paul
I am sorry to hear your still having problems with it.
As for the coolant leak. It is not the intake manifold. There is no coolant running through it. It would be the crossover steam tube.

As for the trans whine. It could be the planetary gears or I have heard bad pumps make a whining noise. Either way not good.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 10:19 am

If you need an extra set of hands over the weekend I may be able to swing by and help you track things down on it. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do. It all really depends on how bad my tune-up turns out Laughing
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:57 pm

What's involved in replacing said Steam tube? And brad,I appreciate the offer but in actually going camping up in Swanzey nh this weekend..
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:06 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
As for the coolant leak. It is not the intake manifold. There is no coolant running through it.

Are the LT's different? My intake manifold was full of coolant when we replaced the gaskets...
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:18 pm

The steam tube should just use banjo bolts to connect it to the back of the heads. It allows for steam to be vented out of the heads to prevent hot spots. Just follow the tube that runs next to the throttle body (hose runs to coolant tank) all the way to the back of the engine and feel for leaks.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:37 pm

That stinks, Paul. Sad

Hey don't you have the jeep and the civic to drive while you fix it up?

I understand being frustrated though... Hell, the newest of these cars are almost 15 years old now, so you pretty much won't find one without issues now... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
That stinks, Paul. Sad

Hey don't you have the jeep and the civic to drive while you fix it up?

I understand being frustrated though... Hell, the newest of these cars are almost 15 years old now, so you pretty much won't find one without issues now... Sad

Sold the civic the day before I bought the wagon(to help pay for it), and the jeep isnt road-ready yet.. It sucks..
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:41 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Indeed. Thou I consider myself fairly lucky. I got a well taken care of longroof, and save for a few little things I haven't had to do much. The only "big" thing I need to do is get new quarters in there and clean up the frame. I think the key is finding one that was well maintained and/or low miles and then stay on top of the the known trouble spots before the become issues.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Do you happen to live on 106 a few houses down from the votec? If so then I passed you twice today while you were playin with the wagon
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:33 pm

bammax wrote:
Do you happen to live on 106 a few houses down from the votec? If so then I passed you twice today while you were playin with the wagon

Yes sir! Im literally like 5 houses down from the regional.. I have to take the wagon camping this weekend, so ive been loading it up/washing out the cooler etc.. since I got out of work @6... Plus, obviously the car show was tonight so I got to see all the rides goin by my house!
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:56 pm

96Brougham wrote:
What's involved in replacing said Steam tube? And brad,I appreciate the offer but in actually going camping up in Swanzey nh this weekend..

Um, if it is not fixed by the trip bring it on over when you come up. Crovo and Al will be here Saturday so between the 4 great minds I bet we can figure it out.

I know you know that Swanzey is only a 20 minute drive away...

Doug
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Pooge wrote:
96Brougham wrote:

Um, if it is not fixed by the trip bring it on over when you come up. Crovo and Al will be here Saturday so between the 4 great minds I bet we can figure it out.

I know you know that Swanzey is only a 20 minute drive away...

Doug

It wont be fixed by then, I leave tomorrow night! Gotta put in some stop-leak for the coolant and I'm on hopes and prayers that the transmission holds up.. No plans for saturday, I'd love to swing by for a bit! Maybe you guys can listen to my transmission noise and give some advice... I rodered that crossover vent tube from the dealer today, will be in tuesday I believe..
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyThu May 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Swing by for sure Saturday, not sure exactly what time the boys will be here, but I assume around 8 or 9. Either way I will be in the garage working. Have a friend's tranny FINALLY going in the RSX at 7am, after that I'll be parting cars all day.

Doug
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: Great A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:00 am

paul are you going to order the two bango bolts also? or do they come with the tube. the bolts have a rubber? seal around the top of them. i dont know if you should reuse. i know between the tube and banjo bolts on e-bay new. there like $125.00 hamilton chevrolet. that might be high. ive already got a steam tube hid away for future use.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great! A couple more problems!   Great! A couple more problems! Empty

Back to top Go down

Great! A couple more problems!
Page 1 of 1