BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyYesterday at 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

I know what I want to do with the wagon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

I know what I want to do with the wagon Empty
PostSubject: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Last night, mostly fueled by a roundtable discussion about how my friends have decided that the wagon is a beast (bless them) and too much rum I've settled on a plan for the 'Wag. Let me know what y'all think.

First, FIX THAT DAM ELECTRIC GREMLIN. Ok, now that thats out of my system...

-Rebuild the TBI. I have no idea if/when I'd ever get the parts car so I'm putting an LT1 on the back burner.

-Remove the emissions crap. Don't need it to get a sticker and less crap for the car to break

-Clean out/refinish the engine bay. Paint the inner fenders, clean out all the grease, grime, etc from the engine.

-Finish undercoating. That'll be done before winter, probably SEM and Rustoleum.

-Weld in new quarters, I should be getting some soon so those will go in eventually.

-Roadmaster seats. Tom offered me some Gray roadie seats. Soon as I get the cash I want to drop those in.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Start with the engine bay and move on from there. I always try to completely clean the engine bay when I get a new car. It makes me feel good to be able to touch stuff and not look like a grease ball afterwards.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm the opposite. I'd start with the patch work first so that it doesn't spread. If you go to patch a small spot and find that there's major areas that need work you may decide that the car isn't worth the effort and you'll have saved alot of time from cleaning.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:56 pm

GasTT wrote:
Sounds like a good plan. Start with the engine bay and move on from there. I always try to completely clean the engine bay when I get a new car. It makes me feel good to be able to touch stuff and not look like a grease ball afterwards.

I plan to do the engine bay when the engine is out during the rebuild. That reminds me, anyone know what color the TBI's were from the factory? Black? Chevy Orange?

bammax wrote:
I'm the opposite. I'd start with the patch work first so that it doesn't spread. If you go to patch a small spot and find that there's major areas that need work you may decide that the car isn't worth the effort and you'll have saved alot of time from cleaning.

First thing I did, even before I bought the car was check for rust in all the usual spots, even pulled the spare and the cargo panel over the left quarter and checked the rust, its there, but still fixable, Billy was helping me with it last mod day. I'm looking at shipping some quarters up from the south. D pillars are clean, floorboards are good, b pillars have surface rust but still solid, going to sand, prime, etc soon. Frame is solid, just flakey at this point. Car was garaged pretty much its whole life so that helped big time.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:24 pm

The TBI was bare metal. I think the intake and engine/heads were black.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm

GasTT wrote:
The TBI was bare metal. I think the intake and engine/heads were black.

That would explain the shade of brown it has since taken on Suspect
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Hit it with some degreaser then glass cleaner and fine steel wool to clean it up some.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:25 pm

GasTT wrote:
Hit it with some degreaser then glass cleaner and fine steel wool to clean it up some.

Oh, I'm referring to the actual block, the actual TBI unit is really clean as it got cleaned out when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Paint the engine to match the car. Color coordination is alot cooler than factory correct overspray Wink
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:07 pm

bammax wrote:
Paint the engine to match the car. Color coordination is alot cooler than factory correct overspray Wink

Hmm... a white block would make leaks easier to spot Laughing
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:24 pm

A nice white would really make things look clean and be eye catching.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Here ya go. Have fun picking just one.
duplicolor chart
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyFri May 21, 2010 12:06 am

Ew a white engine! I would NEVER. Go black or paint it silver and tell everyone it is one of those super rare prototype TBI SBC from the mid 90's.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:19 am

I *kinda* like the idea of the white block. I'm thinking White block/valves and chevy orange valve covers, or Chevy orange block and valve and black covers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I know what I want to do with the wagon   I know what I want to do with the wagon Empty

Back to top Go down

I know what I want to do with the wagon
Page 1 of 1