BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Undercoating Wag Frame?

Go down 
+2
sdstick
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Undercoating Wag Frame? Empty
PostSubject: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 5:07 pm

The thing that killed my '92 RMW was frame rot, including a nice 2x4" chunk that came out and took the gas strap with it. The underside of my 93 is in much more solid, albeit rusty shape. Thankfully the car was garaged most of its life. Unfortunately, it's not so lucky anymore. I thought about sanding off as much of the bad stuff as I can and doing some sort of undercoat. A Jeep friend suggested a couple quarts of that roll on bedliner. He used it on his mudding jeep and it looks like it hold up well. I figured a plan of:

sanding<priming<sanding< 2nd coat of primer< roll on bed liner.

Think this is a good idea or does anyone know another way?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 pm

POR15 then whatever you want

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

sdstick wrote:
POR15 then whatever you want

Seems simple enough on their website. Is it really just roll it on, no sanding or anything?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 pm

por-15 does not work without sandblasting
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 pm

mean ss wrote:

They should really say that on their website, they make it seem so easy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:19 pm

I had to redo my floorboards
Undercoating Wag Frame? Sandblasting003
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:12 am

I have had good luck in the past with stripping down the frame with one of those 3M rust stripping wheels as well as a wire brush/scraper, following that with a wire brush cup on my drill, washing the frame, treating it with naval jelly, washing again, then painting with Rustoleum "Rusty Metal Primer" and then some satin black after that. You have to use the brush kind, spray paint doesn't last and isn't the same paint as the kind that comes in the big cans.
Finally shot everything with the 3M Rubberized Undercoating, which is an excellent product that dries quick, cleans and shines up incredibly easily, and has a real nice even texture.

Of course, make sure the frame is solid before bothering, rust can be on the inside of it too.

Does anyone here oil undercoat in the winter?
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 am

Undercoat? Is that like the stuff you put under the car? I just drive fast with an oil leak and let aerodynamics handle the rest Wink
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:38 am

mean ss wrote:

Unless you REMOVE mechanically or chemically, its never "gone".

I've had good luck removing as much as possible, using rust convertor them POR15.
IMO If you do it without rushing through the job (let applications dry overnight etc) it buys you lots of time.
Half the battle is keeping the car away from conditions that promote rust.
Even a concrete pad garage in winter will allow moisture so....
I guess the real answer is move southwest. Dont worry, in summer its a DRY heat Wink

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 am

Matt Trakker wrote:

I do Matt, when I first moved to NH 27 years ago, I new I had to have the cars undercoated. I kept seeing garages, ads and signs for oil undercoating. I never heard of that. I was pretty skeptical; but after I thought about it, if you ever pick up a piece of metal that was sitting outside, but had an oil film on it, wipe it off, it is like new.

Hmm, so I brought my cars down to this old timer that did that. He sprayed on heated bar and chain oil, drilled holes in all the cavities, doors etc. They were soaked and dripped for about a week. He would never have got away with it in MA (environmental, EPA etc.) but this is NH. Anyways for 27 years no rust on my DD's. The old boy doesn't do it anymore, so I just do it myself, real easy and I don't make the mess that he did.

I buy a gallon of bar and chain oil, get out the Wagner power painter, sometimes I heat the oil. I lay down a piece of plastic on the ground and put the car on ramps and use jacks. Two cars are done in a half hour.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
I have had good luck in the past with stripping down the frame with one of those 3M rust stripping wheels as well as a wire brush/scraper, following that with a wire brush cup on my drill, washing the frame, treating it with naval jelly, washing again, then painting with Rustoleum "Rusty Metal Primer" and then some satin black after that. You have to use the brush kind, spray paint doesn't last and isn't the same paint as the kind that comes in the big cans.
Finally shot everything with the 3M Rubberized Undercoating, which is an excellent product that dries quick, cleans and shines up incredibly easily, and has a real nice even texture.

Of course, make sure the frame is solid before bothering, rust can be on the inside of it too.

I like this plan...

The frame is "solid" I tapped it with a small hammer all around and it was nice and hard. But a couple chips of rust flaked off which makes me want to get this done asap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Undercoating Wag Frame?   Undercoating Wag Frame? Empty

Back to top Go down

Undercoating Wag Frame?
Page 1 of 1