BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?   Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:33 pm

These are the wheels that I'm tossing on my car soon-

Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? IMG_8780

Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? IMG_8785

The bottom two are the worst. The one with the weight on it (wtf?) is slightly more dull than the rest, the upper right one has one mark on the entire wheel basically. The bottom left has the most curb rash (it's around the lower right side in the pic), and the bottom right has some of those spots of corrosion on it.

I was planning on powdercoating them, but I think I'm just going to leave them alone. I don't have the money for that right now and I'm scraping it together as-is just to get tires on these wheels for the summertime.

Has anyone ever touched up clearcoat on a wheel before? I might be able to make the curb rash better to non-existent with my Dremel.
It almost seems like I could make the bad one look half decent by sanding off the corrosion spots with the grain of the machining, then just touching the clearcoat up, before wetsanding and polishing them. I don't care if it's not perfect, plus I'll be going over all of these with polish and my Powerball anyways.

FWIW I don't even think they look that bad right now, and once there are some center caps on there they will look more than just decent. Some kind of weird brown goo had spilled all over these, and I just killed myself getting it all off.

Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?   Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:29 pm

wet sand those spots to get the rust off and the area smooth with 400 and 600 grit. Try to keep the strokes going with the machining. You may have to experiment with different grits to hide the work. Then wipe down with wax and grease remover until the rag is clean after wipe. Finish with duplicolor's clear wheel paint. Word of caution. After shaking can, let it sit a few minutes or it will come out hazy due to bubbles in the paint.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?   Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:16 pm

I sanded down the bad spots with 400 and 800ish since I didn't have any 600...I also ground down and smoothed out the curb rash the best I could, can't replace the metal by sanding, but didn't look bad. Figured I didn't have much to lose. I'll try painting it tomorrow. Cool

Still not sure if I should just lightly sand the whole wheel and paint it or just the spots...
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?   Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Or you could always strip the clear off all the wheels and polish them. Wink

Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?   Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Or you could always strip the clear off all the wheels and polish them. Wink

I considered that, I don't know if I feel like going through the trouble though, plus I like the metallic painted sections. hahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?   Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone touch up clearcoated alum. wheels before?
Page 1 of 1