BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Need guidance asap EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Need guidance asap EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Need guidance asap EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Need guidance asap EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Need guidance asap EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Need guidance asap EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Need guidance asap EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Need guidance asap EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Need guidance asap EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Need guidance asap

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bammax

bammax

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:53 pm

If anyone is familiar with late 80's 3.8 v6's I could use some help.

Car died the other day on the way home. We get it towed home and the car will start and then runs rough for 2 seconds and then dies. The oil pressure was reading either none or maxed out. I figured maybe the low pressure shut off was the issue so I replaced the sending unit. The pressure now reads correctly but the car is still showing the same symptoms. We checked the codes and there are no codes relating to the drivetrain what so ever.

Breakdown:
It fires right up without a problem
Stumbles and misses like it's about to stall
2-3 seconds later the car dies
This process is repeatable for as many times as you feel like turning the key

Any ideas on what to check would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Fuel filter? I know my dads blazer did the same thig the frame filter was bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
LandMaster

LandMaster

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm

deffinitly sounds like a fuel issue my old mans century did that when the filter was shot
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 4:03 pm

I'd also check the fuel filter and the fuel pressure if possible, cheapest and easiest thing to get out of the way. Was this a car that had been sitting?
Back to top Go down

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 6:02 pm

No Moa wrote:
Fuel filter? I know my dads blazer did the same thig the frame filter was bad.
I know I mentioned this when we spoke. And if I didn't, shame on me.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:17 pm

When you were giving me ideas we were still caught on the oil pressure issue Billy.

I was thinking it may be a fuel pressure issue but never thought of the filter itself being the problem. It would make sense though since the car was run low on gas a few times which could have stirred things up. I just hope it's not the in-tank filter because that's just not something I'm up to tackle right now.

The pump is deffinetly priming though, which is good.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Mother ucking fuel filter is done. Turnes out it was right above the k-member which made it a bit of a project. I had to get the bottom fitting off from under the car using just one hand and 2 wrenches Evil or Very Mad Then I had to snake the fuel line up through the engine compartment to get the top fitting off. Install was the reverse of removal.

Now I don't know if that fixed the problem because the car is pretty much out of gas. It did run rough for about 4 seconds before it died and started flashing the out of gas light at me. I'll get a gallon or 2 in it tonight and see if it runs. I've got my fingers crossed.......but that's out of cramping more than anything since my arthritis doesn't like using 2 wrenches in one hand with a cold breeze blowing No
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Car's fixed. Took a few starts for the gas to work it's way through the system but it runs again. And thankfully no leaks after my handiwork. Fires right up now and idles lower than before too Very Happy

Thanks for the help guys cheers

Now to find someone willing to buy it scratch
Back to top Go down

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:13 am

Thats good Brad. Glad to hear it was something simple. cheers
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Cars running great again. Except for the dead battery. That makes about 9 times I've had to pull the battery and get it charged since she bought it last fall Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm

bammax wrote:
Cars running great again. Except for the dead battery. That makes about 9 times I've had to pull the battery and get it charged since she bought it last fall Rolling Eyes
Something is causing a draw from the battery. Chances are it is a bad relay.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Nope.

This time the external tape deck decided to start fast forwarding all by itself even though there was no tape in it and the car was shut off.

Before that was the blower motor again. (see the first time)

A few times it was the overhead light being stuck on. I think it's tied to the dimmer switch issue. (twilight sentinal switch is fudged)

The first time was the blower motor being stuck on high even though the car was shut off.

I always figure out the reason. I just can't predict what it'll be before hand to prevent it from happening. I already started pulling out fuses for non-essential systems to prevent future problems. I just don't exactly know what some of the fuses go to since they're labled in code (ccci for example)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need guidance asap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need guidance asap   Need guidance asap Empty

Back to top Go down

Need guidance asap
Page 1 of 1