BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Another part request EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Another part request EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Another part request EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Another part request EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Another part request EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Another part request EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Another part request EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Another part request EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Another part request EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Another part request

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bammax

bammax

Another part request Empty
PostSubject: Another part request   Another part request EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Since the wheel issue looks to be handled I'm looking for info on something else now.

I need to find a trans crossmember for a boxy sedan with a 200-4r trans. I'd like some leads on a tubular one for dual exhaust if possible. If not then I'd be interested in a stock one to use as a piece to work from for a custom job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 am

bammax wrote:
Since the wheel issue looks to be handled I'm looking for info on something else now.

I need to find a trans crossmember for a boxy sedan with a 200-4r trans. I'd like some leads on a tubular one for dual exhaust if possible. If not then I'd be interested in a stock one to use as a piece to work from for a custom job.
I have one you can have, but one of the bolts needs to be drilled out. I an almost 99% sure the 2004R, and 7004R (4L60E) have the same mount location.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:

I have one you can have, but one of the bolts needs to be drilled out. I an almost 99% sure the 2004R, and 7004R (4L60E) have the same mount location.

If that is the case, I do or will have one you can have as well, they are no good to me.

Doug

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 pm

I know that the turbo 350, 700r, 200r, 4l60e all share the same yoke, and 400, 200r, 700(early 4l60) are real close @ the trans mount. Usually you can slot a 700 crossmember with just a file to make a 200r fit. Hope that helps. (I don't know about floor clearance on drivers side though) Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 7:32 pm

If you do decide to go with a gn engine and 200 tranny, a single loop cross member is all you need, as the down pipe off the turbo drops down on the pass side.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 7:36 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
If you do decide to go with a gn engine and 200 tranny, a single loop cross member is all you need, as the down pipe off the turbo drops down on the pass side.
Yup, and one BIG a** exh pipe Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm

V8Killer wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
Yup, and one BIG a** exh pipe Very Happy
I cant remember the stock size, and I had a Kenn Bell down pipe that was huge. cheers
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 am

No turbo. Too much work fine tuning it.

Need duals running off custom headers

455 Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 am

Found out the specs. The 200 mount is 5-1/2" further back from the front face then the 700. Best bet would be to push a stock Impala crossmember back 5-1/2" and drill new mounting points in the frame. I doubt it'll work though because the way the crossmember is shaped may end up causing interference with the exhaust once it gets pushed back that far.

I may need to find a set of intermediate pipes that I can hold in place and then see if there's any interference with the new crossmember location. Second option is to take my stock crossmember out and get it cut and welded.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 am

Heard back from a company (g-force) that used to make them for this application and they said they stopped because inconsistancies in the b-body frames made it difficult to make a single crossmember that would fit all the b-bodies. Sounds like the issues guys run into mass-producing other chassis parts.

Looks like I need to find someone who can custom make one or someone with a welder who could modify the stock one Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 10:06 am

bammax wrote:
Heard back from a company (g-force) that used to make them for this application and they said they stopped because inconsistancies in the b-body frames made it difficult to make a single crossmember that would fit all the b-bodies. Sounds like the issues guys run into mass-producing other chassis parts.

Looks like I need to find someone who can custom make one or someone with a welder who could modify the stock one Rolling Eyes

I've had custom parts made before, it's typically not that bad. I have a local guy here that I trust, that if you needed a stock crossmember modified and had all the specs and maybe a drawing, I could get him to do it for you and it would not cost a whole hell of a lot and I could probably have it for you by mod day in April.

Let me know.

Doug

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 am

Yup, not that bad. I modded the crossmember for my 91 Fleetwood for duals. I could do it pretty cheap too.
Has that thing got a turbo 350 in it now? Crossmember should work with 200r4 (mounting pad). You just need to notch it/plate it for duals. Smile
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:07 pm

It's got the 200-4r in it now as far as I know. I'm going to climb under it in the next few days and take a good hard look at exactly how I want to make this thing work before I start getting price quotes on a custom job. I'd love to have a tubular one done up just to save some weight, but clearimage hasn't bothered to return my e-mails and I'm not sure of anyone else making them. That would be an expensive piece to have custom made. Either way I'll know more about what path I should take in a couple days.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 pm

bammax wrote:
It's got the 200-4r in it now as far as I know. I'm going to climb under it in the next few days and take a good hard look at exactly how I want to make this thing work before I start getting price quotes on a custom job. I'd love to have a tubular one done up just to save some weight, but clearimage hasn't bothered to return my e-mails and I'm not sure of anyone else making them. That would be an expensive piece to have custom made. Either way I'll know more about what path I should take in a couple days.

Dan at clearimage does not make them or the driveshaft saftey loop he gets them from Bowtie overdrives

http://www.700r4.com/xmem/index.shtml
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I just e-mailed them to see what they say.

I've heard that the ones for 91-93 are not the same as the ones for 94-96. Does anyone know exactly why? I'd like to know in case I decide to get one for a newer Caprice and then fit it to my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another part request   Another part request Empty

Back to top Go down

Another part request
Page 1 of 1