BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Anybody out there?
Carb experts? EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:41 am by BostonChevy

» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Carb experts? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Carb experts? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Carb experts? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Carb experts? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Carb experts? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Carb experts? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Carb experts? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Carb experts? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Carb experts?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bammax

bammax

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Is anyone in the club good at rebuilding old quadrajets? My carb has a leakdown issue that's driving me nuts in the mornings. I think the well plugs might need to be restaked, or it may be a gasket below the fuel bowl is leaking, but I know the bowl seems empty after sitting overnight.
Back to top Go down

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:50 pm

bammax wrote:
Is anyone in the club good at rebuilding old quadrajets? My carb has a leakdown issue that's driving me nuts in the mornings. I think the well plugs might need to be restaked, or it may be a gasket below the fuel bowl is leaking, but I know the bowl seems empty after sitting overnight.
I have rebuilt many Holleys, and a couple of mid 80s qjets. One in an IROC, and one in a buick wagon.

What makes you think the bowl is empty? Is it hard to start? Remember with carbs, you have to pump it before starting. I can tell you if a holly bowl is empty, you will usually see fuel on the intake manifold.

Are you sure you don't want to go back to FI?
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:59 pm

The first start of the day is a nightmare usually involving about 12 attempts to start it. After a few tries it will finally crank but then it sputters and dies. If I hit the gas while it's sputtering then it dies immediately. Once it finally catches then it idles rough and sputters until it's fully warmed up and has been idling for a while. The rest of the day it fires right up on the first crank, even faster than the Caprice ever did. That's what leads me to thinking the bowl is emptying overnight.

I just don't have the money for an Edelbrock carb with all its linkages and stuff right at the moment, so I'm looking for a quick easy fix until I get more money saved up for the manifold and carb and all that stuff.

And it'll get fuel injection once I find a good turbo 3.8 in my budget and then find the time to do the install Wink
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

sounds like the choke pull off , open the choke up see if that helps and change the full filter in it
Back to top Go down

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Replace the choke.

Edit: I see Bob beat me to it.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm

I was reading up on that last night and found a way to adjust the choke pull-off. I'm going to give it a shot when I replace the fuel filter later in the week. Hopefully that's all it needs for now. I'm not used to these type of carbs since I generally worked with more basic streamlined versions in the past (ie. edelbrock).
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm

bammax wrote:
I was reading up on that last night and found a way to adjust the choke pull-off. I'm going to give it a shot when I replace the fuel filter later in the week. Hopefully that's all it needs for now. I'm not used to these type of carbs since I generally worked with more basic streamlined versions in the past (ie. edelbrock).
If the carb is bleeding down it's seeping past the plugs on the bottom (common failure). Take the carb off, dry it out, & J/B weld over those plugs, then let dry. Don't get that stuff on anything else tho.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm hoping it's the choke issue and not leaking down. I really don't want to have to rebuild the thing at this point. I've read that the leakdown issue was mostly resolved long before the ccc type carbs, which is what I'm running. Something about switching the plugs over to a screw in style or something back in the 70's. Of course that's all internet info and we all know how much trouble internet info can get you into Laughing
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:31 pm

bammax wrote:
I'm hoping it's the choke issue and not leaking down. I really don't want to have to rebuild the thing at this point. I've read that the leakdown issue was mostly resolved long before the ccc type carbs, which is what I'm running. Something about switching the plugs over to a screw in style or something back in the 70's. Of course that's all internet info and we all know how much trouble internet info can get you into Laughing
More than likely that is refering to the plugs they started installing over the idle mixture screws on the front bottom of the baseplate (external). They ALL have the ones i'm taliking about.
I had '76 q-jet on the 350 I had in my 84 Gran Prix, and it had em when I rebuilt that one. I swapped it from a hot-air choke to electric when I rebuilt it.
Ahh the good old days Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 am

Well now that the temp is above freezing the car starts easier. It takes 8 pumps before it'll fire and stay running in the morning. Any fewer than 8 and it starts and then dies. The car still has a miss when it's not fully warmed up, but I'm hoping a full tune-up will take care of that issue. The choke seems to move ok from when I played around with it, but I'm far from an expert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carb experts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carb experts?   Carb experts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Carb experts?
Page 1 of 1