BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bewber

PostSubject: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:01 am

Hey guys......

Just curious as to exactly just how hated the ideas of blower scoops or velocity stacks are. I've been wanting to violate a B-body for quite a while, and cutting a big hole in the hood for something to stick out is on that wish list. Now that I have a car that I scored on the cheap and I'm not too worried about my failures or the precision of my success, I think it's time. (Yes Bill, AFTER I get the motor back together and it moves under it's own power!)

Keep in mind that I have no real idea as to what configuration of velocity stacks I want to run. Part of me says to just run a single row of 3 angle cut pipes, another part says to roll with 2 rows of 3 or 4...... and part of me is a little afraid I'd hate it after the giggling over the novelty came to rest..... Whatever.

So then my latest revalation was that I may like the subtle look of a blower scoop peeking up out of the hood. With the downward slope to our hoods, my vision is to position it height-wise so that the back of the scoop would "tuck" under the hood while the "mouth" of it stuck up through a hole in the hood enough to grab a little fresh air. I have no intention of dealing with some huge monstrocity - - like I said, subtle yet noticible, and for the most part "wtf and wrong" on a woody wagon.

If I could post pics for examples I wooda.

Oh yea, My name is John and I'm wanting to do this to a white woody wagon on tricked out buick turbines.

Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 am

WOW! affraid

This is truly an honor to have you here John. cheers

As for stuff sticking through the hood. It is probably as legal as a trucker hat and upside down plate. scratch

I have always liked the idea of a big chrome 871 blower, with dual chrome body 650 or 750 double pumpers, topped off by a chrome scoopy thingy. It says to the world. "Hey... I mean buisness"

Back in the 70s there was a manufacturer of a plastic or fiberglass fake blower and 8 stacks that you bolt to your hood. I have never seen one, but it might be fun to throw on something that trully cant get out of it's own way. This of course would say. "Hey... I mean buisness, as long as it does not cost more than $69.95"

There was some pics of a couple wagons with blowers on cusstom.com. But I can not seem to find that site, as my linky does not work anymore.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 am

Welcome Bewbs!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:20 am

I think you're crazy. Suspect

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 am

We need a photochop guy. Anyone like to play with that program?
I REALLY suc at it, I think its a patience thing

http://www.hothemiheads.com/Garlits_Scoops/index.html

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
I think you're crazy. Suspect

Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Bewber

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am

Well I'm not going to bolt anything to the top of the hood. That just screams JC WHITNEY. HAHA - If I'm gonna half ass this thing, I'm gonna half ass it the right way. scratch

BTW - I also have visions of actually hooking the "this" into the intake system - so they WOULD be functional, to a point, somehow.

I agree, a photochop would be helpful, but I'd have to have pics of what I want.

And thanks too for the warm welcome guys.
Back to top Go down
bammax

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

I had the same idea at one point. If your running an L99/LT1/LT4 then check out the ram air hoods that have the airbox located on top of the intake manifold and you'll quickly see the easiest and most efficient way of making the scoop into a working intake. If you have a carb or tbi motor then it's even easier to make everything functional.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Check out the cover of the latest JEGS catalog

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Bewber

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:30 pm

bammax wrote:
I had the same idea at one point. If your running an L99/LT1/LT4 then check out the ram air hoods that have the airbox located on top of the intake manifold and you'll quickly see the easiest and most efficient way of making the scoop into a working intake. If you have a carb or tbi motor then it's even easier to make everything functional.

Yeaaaaaaaaa, it's not so much about being efficient. Thanks though. I likes me a ram air hood and all - like Fisher's, but this thing needs to be a cheap, old school, throwback looking novelty that - oh btw - -also kinda works sometimes. To behonest, it's MORE about the look that anything else, making it work is only required out of my engineering backgrounds pride.
Back to top Go down
waynes91

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:08 pm

don't like the blower scoops sticking out ..but always like the velocity stacks (yeah old school times) but now there all fuel injected ,computer controlled etc think that would look mean
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:21 pm

I think 8, slash cut, chrome painted (or silver, whatever, it ain't gonna look MORE ghetto), 2" PVC pipes mated into a 3" pipe under the hood, with a couple 45's and a 90 and I think you're right at the relocated MAF in front of the TB, and in business!!!!

Suspect

Rolling Eyes

afro

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
waynes91

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:07 pm

bammax wrote:

kinda like this why have a cowl hood if it doesn't work
Back to top Go down
waynes91

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Back to top Go down
bammax

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:16 pm

What I'm saying is stick whatever scoop you want on top of this setup and it'll give you the look and also be functional.

Back to top Go down
Bewber

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm

That's a killler setup, but I can promise you it cost more that what I paid for my whole car - -and it's nowhere near "trailer park" enough for the overall look I'm going for.

Crovo is on the right track with "how to make velocity stacks at home depot for $30 or less" thinking.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Bewber wrote:

Crovo is on the right track with "how to make velocity stacks at home depot for $30 or less" thinking.

You don't know how much that scares me. And brings a tear to my eye. (mostly not in a good way)

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?   Today at 8:58 pm

Back to top Go down

How do yoos guys feel about "blower scoops" or "velocity stacks" that peek out?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1