BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Anyone have a good used LT1?

Go down 
+6
Mojombo65
Ironfistdog
IMPALADAKID
95brmw
boojum
mp775
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mp775

mp775

Anyone have a good used LT1? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 pm

So I stalled out and couldn't restart in the left lane of 128 tonight Evil or Very Mad. I think it's just a fuel delivery problem, but just in case it's worse than that I'd like to have some options lined up. Does anyone have a good used '94 LT1 that could be swapped in? What would be involved in putting [Al's] F-body LT1 in a Caprice?
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:36 pm

I put a F-body engine in a B-body. I used the B-body crank snout and accessories. I never got around to tuning but I just assumed I'd use the F-body tune with a change for gears.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 pm

I still have My 2 lt1s for sale (though ironfistdog is suppose to buy the 94). I do have a 96 without harness or alternator, you can use your 94 harness and swap the knock sensors and run with it. $200, runs great.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Mike
Before you get prepared for a major engine swap, let's try to figure out what happened. Chances are very good that you do not need an engine. But let's eliminate it. Pull your dipstick and see what color it is. Make sure it is not milky or show signs of coolant, or any metal shavings. Remove the coolant cap, and look for signs of oil in the coolant.
There are only three major areas I can think of that would cause the car to suddenly die. And if it was on a bumpy section of 128, I would start with the three wires that go to the coil right at the connector, the grounds at the stud by the coil, and the wire harness to the fuel pump. A bad fuel pump usually will give signs of near death like longer than normal starts. Turn the key to the on position, and see if you hear the pump prime. Check all connections under the hood as well.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 pm

FWIW, if you need the 94 engine Dave has Mike, I will settle for the 96 instead and make it work for me. Disconnected the torque converter in the dggm car...... NOISE STOPPED!!! so no knock in that engine, it's either a flexplate, TC, or really is a bad trans. We'll see! sticking a known good TC in it this week and inspecting the FP while I have it out to investigate the Valdez problem.

I dont think you'll need an engine though. Plenty of "what if's" before a complete engine pull...... We'll get to the bottom of it!!!
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Mike
Before you get prepared for a major engine swap, let's try to figure out what happened. Chances are very good that you do not need an engine. But let's eliminate it. Pull your dipstick and see what color it is. Make sure it is not milky or show signs of coolant, or any metal shavings. Remove the coolant cap, and look for signs of oil in the coolant.
There are only three major areas I can think of that would cause the car to suddenly die. And if it was on a bumpy section of 128, I would start with the three wires that go to the coil right at the connector, the grounds at the stud by the coil, and the wire harness to the fuel pump. A bad fuel pump usually will give signs of near death like longer than normal starts. Turn the key to the on position, and see if you hear the pump prime. Check all connections under the hood as well.

I'm thinking it's fuel related. I just want to have a plan B in case it's not. Shop's going to look at it tomorrow.

It recently started pinging going uphill with the AC on, which was making me nervous. Even so, oil pressure and temperature were normal when it happened and there were no horrifying sounds. I was stopped and trying to change lanes at the time. Oil is full and looks/smells fine. I haven't checked the coolant; maybe I'll stop by the garage tonight or in the morning before hopping the bus.
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
FWIW, if you need the 94 engine Dave has Mike, I will settle for the 96 instead and make it work for me. Disconnected the torque converter in the dggm car...... NOISE STOPPED!!! so no knock in that engine, it's either a flexplate, TC, or really is a bad trans. We'll see! sticking a known good TC in it this week and inspecting the FP while I have it out to investigate the Valdez problem.

I dont think you'll need an engine though. Plenty of "what if's" before a complete engine pull...... We'll get to the bottom of it!!!

Thanks!! Just nice to know one's available if need be Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Coolant is about a quarter inch below the cold fill line but looks good. It has been taking slightly longer to start, particularly in the afternoon.

Thanks for the diagnostic help!!
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 pm

mp775 wrote:
Coolant is about a quarter inch below the cold fill line but looks good. It has been taking slightly longer to start, particularly in the afternoon.

Thanks for the diagnostic help!!
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me too.
Back to top Go down
Mojombo65

Mojombo65

PostSubject: Pinging LT1   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 am

Your mention of it pinging while going uphill makes me wonder if its EGR or EGR solenoid related. Was it getting harder and harder to start prior to it crapping out on you? Is the car throwing any codes?y
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 6:08 am

So work both items seperately

1) solve the running problems
2) get a spare motor to clean up in your spare time

That day WILL come....maybe by necessity....maybe by choice. Arrow
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 am

Sounds like a fuel pump, Mike. Just did one in the impala. Wasnt too bad of a job and only $100 for a delco pump. Hopefully that takes care of it.
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am

Mojombo65 wrote:
Your mention of it pinging while going uphill makes me wonder if its EGR or EGR solenoid related. Was it getting harder and harder to start prior to it crapping out on you? Is the car throwing any codes?

It's been taking marginally longer to catch, but I wouldn't say it was at all "hard." MIL wasn't on; I don't have an OBD-I reader.
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 am

sdstick wrote:
get a spare motor to clean up in your spare time

By choice wouldn't be a stock used LT1 Wink. Plus the WAF of a stored spare engine is near 0.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:57 am

mp775 wrote:
By choice wouldn't be a stock used LT1 Wink.
I could be wrong here, but this all sounds like an excuse to put something with more kick in your car. Suspect

Honey! The car broke down on 128 in the high speed lane. If I had a more powerful engine, this would not have happened. Can I? Can I? Can I?.... Please! Razz

Now worries. Your secret is safe with me. I won't tell anyone. Wink
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:06 am

mp775 wrote:
sdstick wrote:
get a spare motor to clean up in your spare time

By choice wouldn't be a stock used LT1 Wink.
Plus the WAF of a stored spare engine is near 0.

Understand.
Just to help you out, I'll store WHATEVA motor you want at my shop for you
This CONSIDERABLY improves the WAF as you are now out of her hair more cheers Laughing
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:00 am

sdstick wrote:
Just to help you out, I'll store WHATEVA motor you want at my shop for you
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Quote :
This CONSIDERABLY improves the WAF as you are now out of her hair more cheers Laughing
Only if you stored the kids, too...
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am

Shop says it's the five month old distributor...
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 am

mp775 wrote:
Shop says it's the five month old distributor...
Shit! LMK if there is anything I can do Mike. I guess my thought of saving you money backfired big time.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Hope it pans out for the best Mike, is your avatar choice relevant to what happened? lol
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Shit! LMK if there is anything I can do Mike. I guess my thought of saving you money backfired big time.
No problem; it's not like you manufacture the things. Guess we have a return though Smile .
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Hope it pans out for the best Mike, is your avatar choice relevant to what happened? lol
You got it. 5:45 p.m. Fortunately it was already crawling Pike to Braintree; I was just about to cut across and bail at Route 16.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm

mp775 wrote:
So I stalled out and couldn't restart in the left lane of 128 tonight Evil or Very Mad. I think it's just a fuel delivery problem, but just in case it's worse than that I'd like to have some options lined up. Does anyone have a good used '94 LT1 that could be swapped in? What would be involved in putting [Al's] F-body LT1 in a Caprice?

Well, my mine is going back together soon, with a hotcam, springs, all new stuffs.

Was'nt any real interest, so I going to re-build it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a good used LT1?   Anyone have a good used LT1? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a good used LT1?
Page 1 of 1