BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver

Go down 
+5
alwyswntd1
SPCS
Tomz9C1
IMPALADAKID
cloud 9
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cloud 9

cloud 9

What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  Empty
PostSubject: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Just let me know what works and what doesn't. I don't want anything radical, just a nice upgrade from the stock poj.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 5:09 am

S10 converter is about as mild as you can get.

This article is a little dated, and I do not think the "New" S10 converter is available anymore. Reman only through GM. Might find a NOS unit someplace. I got mine from Autozone. It worked well.

http://www.theherd.com/articles/torque.html
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 am

Dacco converters are awesome! Shane Cobb swears by them and they are the best bang for the buck. I have the 2200 stall (feels more like 2400 stall) and love it! I do have a stock GM Corvette converter(1800-2000 stall) that I had in my 94 9C1, Took it out when the DS TOOK OUT THE 4L65E TAIL SHAFT. Good luck with your search.
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 pm

How does it affect normal driving? I am just looking for something a little better than stock. Are you interested in selling the Corvette one at some point?
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

cloud 9 wrote:
How does it affect normal driving? I am just looking for something a little better than stock. Are you interested in selling the Corvette one at some point?

Your engine will rev a little higher to reach peak HP quicker with a higher stall. I believe our stock converters are 1250 or so, the stock GM 95 Corvette converter is around 1800-2000 Def better than stock! I was expecting a higher stall but used the Dacco 2200-2400 but feels more like 2400-2600. Let me know what you want it to do.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 am

^^^^That is a great stall for a stock LT1^^^^
Not too much, not to little. Similar to the S10 converter that stalls around 2150 rpms
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 am

9C1 converters had a higher stall than civilian LT1 converters... I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I believe it should be around 2200. Now if only I knew how a civilian LT1 feels, this info would actually be worth something.

I'm with Tomz on the Dacco converters though. Nothing but praise for those.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldschoolcustoms.de
alwyswntd1

alwyswntd1

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:37 pm

i apologize for the intrusion,but if going with the dacco unit would it be lock up or non lock up which would be better.thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 pm

SPCS wrote:
9C1 converters had a higher stall than civilian LT1 converters... I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I believe it should be around 2200. Now if only I knew how a civilian LT1 feels, this info would actually be worth something.

Not true. All LT1 B and D bodys got the same 1400-1600 rpm stall converter. I have installed s-10 converters in 9C1s before, and there is a difference.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I have to say that I'm new to automatics... how hard is it to change the torque converter? What does a higher stall speed do and what's the difference between a lock up and a non lock up...

hey, what's up google:
http://www.bankspower.com/techarticles/show/10-understanding-stall-speed

I'll need to understand lockup and install. is it just like changing a clutch? any benefit to a different flexplate?
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Tomz9C1 wrote:
cloud 9 wrote:

Your engine will rev a little higher to reach peak HP quicker with a higher stall. I believe our stock converters are 1250 or so, the stock GM 95 Corvette converter is around 1800-2000 Def better than stock! I was expecting a higher stall but used the Dacco 2200-2400 but feels more like 2400-2600. Let me know what you want it to do.

is that this TC?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B24-HBCD-4L60E-Torque-Converter-/230826825357?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35be59d68d&vxp=mtr#ht_1003wt_1114

or this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dacco-Transmission-Torque-Converter/1995-Chevrolet-Blazer-2WD/_/N-j1sw1Z6o2ll?itemIdentifier=189162_190663_0_
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 pm

chapel wrote:

is that this TC?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B24-HBCD-4L60E-Torque-Converter-/230826825357?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35be59d68d&vxp=mtr#ht_1003wt_1114
No

chapel wrote:

or this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dacco-Transmission-Torque-Converter/1995-Chevrolet-Blazer-2WD/_/N-j1sw1Z6o2ll?itemIdentifier=189162_190663_0_
Yes. cheers
4.3 2WD S10/Blazer 94-97
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm

are they easy to replace?
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

chapel wrote:
are they easy to replace?
Just 18 bolts to remove. Wink ............ To get the tranny out. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 pm

any reason to change the flexplate?
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 10:07 pm

chapel wrote:
any reason to change the flexplate?
Not unless it is broke.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 pm

good.
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
SPCS wrote:

Not true. All LT1 B and D bodys got the same 1400-1600 rpm stall converter. I have installed s-10 converters in 9C1s before, and there is a difference.

The GM Ordering Guide for those years seems to think otherwise. Let me see if I can dig up the relevant pages. In any case, there is no part number for such a Police-only converter, if it did in fact exist. If the S-10 converter males a difference, I've got to wonder how many retired 9C1 are still running their original converters? The 100k+ cars I get to see around here all seem to have gone thru at least one trans rebuild?
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 am

There are two different part numbers for 94 and 95s torque converters in the parts manual. There is a third number for 96, it's blurred but looks like one number for all. I don't see anything specific for 9C1s. I was looking forward to another 9C1 upgade for the SS.
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 am

boojum wrote:
I was looking forward to another 9C1 upgade for the SS.

Not all hope is lost. Gimme a day or two to look it up.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Forgive me for being misinformed, but isn't a 2K+ stall speed TC overkill for a street car? Meaning you'd have to put the car in drive, then rev the engine up to like 2200 RPMish before it starts rolling? Wouldn't it be rolling backwards down inclines at traffic lights and stuff like that? lol. Or since it allows the torque to be put down before the car's already rolling along does that make up for any "wasted" energy because it takes less load to get the car going once the RPMs are up?

Also, does something like this also mean that you'll be running way higher RPMs when you're on the highway?
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Forgive me for being misinformed, but isn't a 2K+ stall speed TC overkill for a street car? Meaning you'd have to put the car in drive, then rev the engine up to like 2200 RPMish before it starts rolling? Wouldn't it be rolling backwards down inclines at traffic lights and stuff like that? lol. Or since it allows the torque to be put down before the car's already rolling along does that make up for any "wasted" energy because it takes less load to get the car going once the RPMs are up?

Also, does something like this also mean that you'll be running way higher RPMs when you're on the highway?
Nope. Backed behind a stock LT1 with a stock cam, it feels like it should have been there from the factory. cheers

You are upping your rpms to get further into a good power band before the t/c transfers the power to the tranny.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Matt,
I think you need to do some torque convertor homework...
The terms loose & tight apply, there is unlocked-locked relationship but its not an on-off relationship...just sayin
None of the above is intended to imply I'm an expert....
far from it...
but once youve experienced a "different" stall,,,,you get it Arrow
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 pm

So it affects nothing like RPMs on the highway and whatnot right? I know the TC is a fluid clutch of sorts. So all this affects is what RPM level the engine is at when the "connection" between the engine and transmission becomes completed allowing the car to move? Until now my pinnacle of experience with a torque converter was tripping over one while screwing around with friends in 1997 and spilling ATF all over the floor of the shop. Laughing

Would putting a higher stall TC in a car that coincides better with the engines output help with gas mileage? How come the S10s got that higher stall converter? scratch
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
So it affects nothing like RPMs on the highway and whatnot right?

Your cars RPM's are its RPM's....convertor changes nothing.
It does however change things downstream...which is your next question.

Matt Trakker wrote:
I know the TC is a fluid clutch of sorts. So all this affects is what RPM level the engine is at when the "connection" between the engine and transmission becomes completed allowing the car to move?

Right for the most part...except the connection doesnt have to be complete for the car to move. Like when you slowly engage the clutch with engine rpms higher....you move but you dont "launch" until you side step the clutch...the stall speed is where the "side step" happens, but its not a side step its a fluid connection version of a side step...lol.

Matt Trakker wrote:
Would putting a higher stall TC in a car that coincides better with the engines output help with gas mileage?

I dont think a higher stall ever gets you better mileage.
Lots of other factors will...not the TC imo

Matt Trakker wrote:
How come the S10s got that higher stall converter? scratch

When the "side step" happens at a higher rpm, the car/truck gets up & goes better.
It gets launched at 2000RPM(100HP) instead of 1200RPM(75HP) =>#'s for example
Think of it also as an issue of traction.
If you cant sidestep & hook at 3200 RPM a 3200 stall wont help you (over simplified but hopefully understandable)

Once again...no expert...far from it...just trying to help you wrap your head around it.

Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 am

While I am no expert either. It was explained once like this. If you have a manual transmission, and you depress the clutch, rev the engine to 3k, it is going to pull harder out of the hole than it would if launched at 1500rpm. With an automatic. At 1500, the t/c has unlocked to shift before it the engine has started to make some torque. But at 2200 rpms, the engine has gotten further up in the torque curve, and when the T/C stalls, there is more power to move the car harder.
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:10 pm

boojum wrote:
There are two different part numbers for 94 and 95s torque converters in the parts manual. There is a third number for 96, it's blurred but looks like one number for all. I don't see anything specific for 9C1s. I was looking forward to another 9C1 upgade for the SS.

Ah, I knew it. From Page 2 of the 1996 Caprice Police Dealer Ordering Guide, List of CAPRICE POLICE STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS:

Quote :
SPECIAL TRANSMISSION TORQUE CONVERTER

Admittedly, it says nothing about what exactly is special about the converter. I do, however, remember clearly that I've read the full specs somewhere else. I'll keep looking.

Of course, GM literature and GM assembly plant reality don't always match.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver    What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver  Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the best torque converter upgrade for stock LT1..ntohing crazy..daily driver
Page 1 of 1